Casting for TV show: Aussie Gold Hunters

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My fathers never prospected and can't now but always wanted to (was more of a roo shooter back in the day).
He encourages the wife and myself because he watches these shows and it gives us some common ground to BS about and it's friggin entertaining.

I'll miss him taking an interest in what we do when he's gone.

Westoz adventures is the best one Ive come accross for a while. Highly recommend pretty sure they post on here sometimes in the video section.

If you want to flush any credibility you may have down the dunny, then by all means get yourself featured on that idiot TV series.
Metal detectors are selling out in the prospecting shops, and the manufacturers are rubbing hands in glee. New chums have been filled with totally unrealistic expectations. Unfilled holes, dug mainly on ground noises now proliferate the goldfields, rubbish left stuffed in hollow stumps, private properties invaded, detecting in prohibited areas, etc, etc.
Another result of this nonsense is the increasing number of slightly used metal detectors appearing for sale on various web sites. People are so gullible.

Hey Reg re (If you want to flush any credibility you may have down the dunny, then by all means get yourself featured on that idiot TV series.)

Appearing in this show may be the start of a Film and TV career, similar to entrants in " Married at First Sight" or .................

Reg Wilson said:
If you want to flush any credibility you may have down the dunny, then by all means get yourself featured on that idiot TV series.
Metal detectors are selling out in the prospecting shops, and the manufacturers are rubbing hands in glee. New chums have been filled with totally unrealistic expectations. Unfilled holes, dug mainly on ground noises now proliferate the goldfields, rubbish left stuffed in hollow stumps, private properties invaded, detecting in prohibited areas, etc, etc.
Another result of this nonsense is the increasing number of slightly used metal detectors appearing for sale on various web sites. People are so gullible.

Sounded like two complaints...or are you suggesting that the series has influenced the rest of the behaviour accompanied in your second statement?

I find both midly entertaining, the show and the number of people out in the goldfeilds. Yes weve moved out of the 70s where television caters to interest groups and the masses can afford to buy detectors and travel.

Seems a small price to pay with increased users out in the bush making a greater share of stakeholders in keeping access open, small towns reaping tourism benfits, and maybe the odd person buying another detector or coil off you Reg, or perhaps going on one of your tours?

Lobby the authorities to place hired help on the locations that are negatively impacted, but I would say the vast majority are younger members venturing out who are decent people who do the right thing. With the 4 fold increase in people attending in my local areas the worst of the behaviour hasnt quadrupled. Long before TV series and cheaper equipment some poor behaviour was going on, at least from what Ive seen. Same with the fishing spots etc.

As for those on the show Im sure theres some monetary incentive, and its local content, given legs by the rise in popularity of shows like Gold Rush and Bearing Sea.

Please get your facts right OldGt. I don't conduct tours, and never have. Secondly I happen to live in the goldfields and am sick of the open holes, rubbish tossed in old shafts, and fence jumpers. As far as money spent locally, many buy all they need in the city, spending only minimal amounts in country towns.

I might have used the wrong word and upset your sensibilities Reg, you do though however advertise tuition in using gold detectors for individuals or groups.

Should we just ban everyone going gold prospecting and the problem will dissappear? Stop the shows?

Never have I ever seen a park ranger or police officer drive through a prospecting area. Weekday OR weekend, as with most government departments, resources are stretched and priorities based around financial decisions. It's not our job to finger point or blame though there is much you can do if you want - lobby your local MP with your exact concerns, write them regularly - and write AGH directly too. Contact local councils with concerns of rubbish dumping and report what you find with co-ordinates and photos. I'd assume that unless you are a few slices short of a sandwich, majority of people on this forum undertake the code of ethics seriously. If not, they should, and also encourage others too or we all lose in so many ways. It's not a big ask???

Attention Anna Gardiner@electricpictures

Please support each states CODE OF ETHICS on every show or you may eventually "produce" yourself out of a job!

GENERAL OBLIGATIONS

If you find any hidden valuables while fossicking, you must advise Victoria Police because such items belong to the Crown.

If you're under 18, you can fossick as long as you're with an adult who has a Miner's Right permit.

To minimise impacts from fossicking activities:

- Drive vehicles on tracks or roads open to the public and park your vehicles on the roadside.
- Do not bury rubbish. Take it home or put it in a bin if provided.
- Minimise any damage to vegetation including the ground layer.
- Immediately restore the area to how you found it, i.e. backfill any holes you dig and replace leaf litter.

REFERENCE: https://earthresources.vic.gov.au/l...ational-fossicking/rules-and-responsibilities

mbasko said:
It's all just entertainment & should be treated as such.
I don't mind it but then I also understand that it should be taken with a grain of salt + realise there's a lot more to running even small scale operations than is shown.

Too many people see these shows or watch YouTube & take it as gospel.
Rarely on the TV shows do the small scale full mining regulations & rules get discussed nor do you see the rehabilitation required.

There are some very good YouTube channels but also a lot that don't stick to rules, explain your responsibilities or even appear to know them correctly themselves.
This year alone I've seen YouTube videos showing:
- highbankers in the middle of creeks causing turbidity. Mostly minor but still not a good look.
- large unfilled holes left in or near creeks
- fossicking in a NSW State Conservation Area (off limits)
- machinery use in NSW & other states where it's not allowed
Etc. Etc.
These were all popular YouTube channels.
People watch this & take it as gospel that you can do these things without doing their own due diligence on their state regulations or local area laws.

This is probably a reflection of Australia in general today though not just for prospecting/fossicking. It seems if you've got a YouTube channel or 50,000 followers on Farcebook you're more factually correct to some people than highly qualified professionals.

A well known an highly followed U Tuber often shows digging into Creek banks, which is against the Laws in regard to prospecting. Has been challenged but says he has an exemption??? WTF. B.S. I say. :eek: 8.(

Yes OldGt, I do offer tuition, on my own fifty acre bush block which has produced gold and offers a number of geological features.
Naturally I emphasise the importance of environmental responsibility, unlike many of the gold tour operators, some of whom have earned very bad reputations.
You will also notice the unnecessary devastation of bush on some of the 'scrape and detect' leases or claims in a number of TV prospecting shows.
We have followed the American recipe of 'entertainment' where fact plays a minor role, and 'faking it' has become the norm in many of these 'reality' shows.

I think the shows are what they are and in themselves do little harm to 'the industry'. Unfortunately, and without going into details, they can be poison to professional prospectors that appear on them. Hence the reason they are always trying to find real talent....they would have any number of new chums lining up to be famous, but anyone half decent know people that are paying a very heavy price from being involved.

Have watched a few West Oz Adventures and will keep viewing them. :Y:
However as for the other :poop: watched about 10 minutes of one a few years back, they don't bother me now because I never view any of them.
Have probably mentioned it earlier, these programs will be the death of some unwary sole in the very near future!

This doesn't have anything to do with reality shows but is an example of inexperienced persons travelling remote;
A young stock buyer visited Kimberley Downs Station to inspect the herds in the 80's. His ute got stuck in a sandy creek crossing and he died from thirst before a search party found him one day after he didn't return to station homestead.
When authorities inspected the site of the tragedy they found an empty water bag (many of todays young wouldn't know what that is) a windmill with ample water just over a rise from the creek approx 1/2 a mile away.
They lowered the tyre pressures and drove the ute out of the creek?

Many of todays inexperienced could suffer the same fate. The one litre water bottle they have grafted to their hand could most likely be the only water they carry for a one day outing?

Funniest thing happened yesterday, was trying to find our way out of Talbot forest and picked up a tail....they followed about 50 meters back for some time. Wasn't till I took a wrong turn and had to double back that I go the full treatment of flashing red & blue lights, breathalyzer, car contents inspection, question time. Then once established that the wife and I were not shady characters, well... not too shady - the conversation became very friendly and helpful with a few constructive topics discussed including rubbish dumping in the bush. The police explained they were there at the request of a local who had reported an unruly illegal camper causing some "undisclosed" issues. So, there you have it, the police DO patrol forest areas...lets hope they get some of the bad guys while building a re pour with prospectors doing the right thing. P.S. Breathalyzer reading came back as ZERO, I don't drink for medical reasons - luckily at they were fully kitted with vests and tasers prominently mounted on the front along with the usual fittings. And I thought my GPX set-up was heavy to lug around :lol:

.. poor viewing statistics: I'd say the general public has finally realised the over hyped theory that golds not hard to find is a load of BS. Besides, not everyone can afford a CAT or Komatsu

GOOD, soon people selling detecting gear will flood the market, used prices will fall, new gear will slow and mergers or acquisitions will rise. While all this goes on I'll just keep on keeping on - just like I have for the last 44 years

Latest posts