A Few Of Guessologists Finds

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got onto a brace of pennies the other day, got some age about them. Not sure why just pennies in this new pile of rubble, there's got to be some silvers somewhere in there! The button reads Hyan & Co Oxford St, placing it roughly around the 1900s by the bell curve of Trove newspaper references.

1607489788_capture.jpg

I left my usual haunts for a quick poke around at an easily accessible spot in the forest near Graytown, a few scattered bricks on a creek flat with some old square nails had me thinking that I might have found a fairly under-detected area ripe for relics. I figure the trash and deep alluvials would make it frustrating for anyone with gold machines to even bother. That reckoning turned out well for me, three coins of advanced age and an interesting wood and brass hinged thing came out of a small patch from a depth of about four inches. :perfect: Definitely will have to have a detailed look at this site..

1607900025_capture.jpg

Guessologist said:
A swing back at the Olds' proved worthwhile, the paddock next to the Federation era house had been planted up with oats over COVID and was back to stubble. Turned up an 1913 half penny, and an 1889 penny which is the oldest I'm likely to pull there ever. The buttons are labelled "The Climax" and "Ne Pas Ultra".

https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...ges/11952/1605080051_img_20201111_1436572.jpg
Ne pas or ne plus? One means "not ultra" the other "the ultimate"

goldierocks said:
Guessologist said:
A swing back at the Olds' proved worthwhile, the paddock next to the Federation era house had been planted up with oats over COVID and was back to stubble. Turned up an 1913 half penny, and an 1889 penny which is the oldest I'm likely to pull there ever. The buttons are labelled "The Climax" and "Ne Pas Ultra".

https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...ges/11952/1605080051_img_20201111_1436572.jpg
Ne pas or ne plus? One means "not ultra" the other "the ultimate"

My bad, it's definitely ne plus... I think I have two or three of those ones now

Guessologist said:
I left my usual haunts for a quick poke around at an easily accessible spot in the forest near Graytown, a few scattered bricks on a creek flat with some old square nails had me thinking that I might have found a fairly under-detected area ripe for relics. I figure the trash and deep alluvials would make it frustrating for anyone with gold machines to even bother. That reckoning turned out well for me, three coins of advanced age and an interesting wood and brass hinged thing came out of a small patch from a depth of about four inches. :perfect: Definitely will have to have a detailed look at this site..

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/11952/1607900025_capture.jpg

The hinge looks to be from a folding carpenters ruler. Nice find with the coins Guessologist. :Y:

Cheers

Doug

The 1916 is interesting, just check the obverse side , you might have a rare mule , where the obverse has and India die resembling a quarter Anna .

The other side of the coin is... going to take some work. Don't have any fine steel wool at the moment to take the crud off. That's what several decades of superphosphate does to these I guess. Would be cool if there's some elephants under there though.

1609066440_img_20201227_2149462.jpg

I found a 1953 penny with these too, it's staying with the permission owner as it's a significant year them. There's going to be plenty more...

Not many finds lately, not much time to get out! These four coins are from the same spot I'm working over at the minute, been finding stuff like hurricane lamp parts and carbide lamp nozzles along with it. The big guy on the left is the worst copper coin I've ever found, no identifying features left at all! I'm betting it's most likely a William IV penny. 1838 shilling, the first Victoria mintage year. 1877 penny, also the most worn bronze penny I've ever found! And a 1921 to round it all out...

1616647897_img_20210325_154726_tigr2.jpg

Couple of bits and bobs from the other day; 1891 half penny, a button with corroded gothic text (???? Patent), and a three pronged buckle ("PAXILLUS", WARRANTED SECURE on the other side). Google search for the buckle text comes up donuts. These were all in an old ash pile on the site of an old house, and had been resistant to detection earlier on. I ran the Equinox down at about 8 and F2-2 to winkle them out, sometimes a soft touch is needed....

1618351023_capture.jpg

Latest posts