GPX 4500

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Gday guys,

I've been offered an early version 4500, with 4 coils, harness and headphones for around 3k....

Opinions welcome on whether this is a reasonable price?

Slight concern is no warranty and old machine, but people are still running SD machines so not always an issue.

Cheers, happy hunting!

Owen, what are the coils, any near new NF or Coil Tek coil is worth $500+ new, which could make it a bargain.

I understand the early 45's go slightly deeper than the later detectors but are slightly nosier than the later 5000 based units ( sold my 45 about 5 years ago or so for $2600, when 45's were sold my ML new for $3300)

Gday Peter, there's a fairly new 12" NF which is worth about $500 you're right, the others are slightly older 11" coils.

Good machines though and as they're no longer sold difficult to get hold of for good prices. Often see them hovering at the $4k mark with extras..

I sold my 4500 earlier this year for $3600. 12 months old with standard new Minelab 11 Mono and DD coils, new harness and used headphones. I upgraded to a 5000. To be honest I havent found much of a difference because where I detect is highly mineralised ground and Fine Gold is a little noisy for my liking and either need to turn settings down or go Enhance, which is what the 4500 offers. Fine Gold is better than Enhance in mild ground.
$3k sounds good but depends on age and condition.

Just remember it is out of warranty. And if you have a problem with battery or anything it will be an expensive 3k. Thst machine must be 5 or 7 years old. New ones were sold at $3400 back 4 years ago and that was the later model. Plus Check it out there were and still a lot of fakes bring onsold.

Thanks for all the advice everyone. Its a real early model and Ill be going to test it before I decide to purchase, definitely not a blind purchase.

I own one of the very first 4500s and it has done me fine - thanks ML.
I've only replaced two curly cords and some skid plates.
I've had water entering the top plate (rear) and leaking out the bottom (front) in rain.
I reckon it's better than later 4500s. I bought a new one, tried it extensively for two days swapping coils and settings on different targets, then sold it.
My old 4500 outperformed it by a long way - maybe that's the luck of the machine build or the generational difference - who knows.
I've compared mine extensively with 5000s using Enhanced in the GT, and reckon they're equal.
So, given that the older 4500s are still supported (equally with newer 4500s), then I'd say you're OK with that price (with some nice coils).
I reckon they're bullet proof - not idiot proof.

Status
Not open for further replies.