MINELAB on a budget

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone, Im just starting out and whilst I would like a fancy top of the range MINELAB, Im seeing ones at anaconda for $1000. Its actually a MINELAB 1000. Would these be ok for a newbie, and then update either new or a good secondhand one off of here? And are the MINELAB, hand held Wands worth the $200? They look pretty handy. Thanks in advance Jase

The Gold Monster 1000 is a great detector and will take you well past "just being a beginner". Check out YouTube for more info on these. You will tend to be able to find smaller/shallow gold with a VLF detector. Once you move to Pulse Induction, it's a totally different ballgame so best to get some prospecting experience under your belt before forking out $3,000 plus dollars on the chance you "might" enjoy walking through the bush all day, sometimes to return with nothing but sore legs/back/arms and a memory of the great Australian bush. But just like anything, the more you do it, the more your body adjusts....until you get old 8.( If you want to add some beach/park/field prospecting - then look at the Equinox 800. Again, YouTube is a great way to learn about them before you buy. Good luck, happy hunting.

:perfect: Thankyou, Im not scared of physical fatigue as Im a beekeeper so the body is used to carrying and walking etc all day. And still working all night long too. Excellent advice and much appreciated. My son and I want to do a bit of prospecting and panning. Plus we go to Vic sometimes so hopefully more of a bonding outing at this point. I just wanted something for around creek beds too as we know a lot of landowners. Will check them out in you tube too, cheers mate ?

Thanks everyone, but it leaves me pondering now. I want to mainly fossick for gold. So will the monster still find relics etc? Or will it not penetrate enough?

A good gold machine isnt as good for relics
A good relic machine isnt as good for gold
You have got a lot of research to do first ,all the answers you seek are here within this forum use the Search icon all these questions have been answered many times .
But if your starting out and want to find gold the sdc is the machine to get . If you want relics you would get a nox 800 or a ctx
Horses for courses .
A lot of newbie want an all rounder on a budget and thats fine but the honest truth is your time in the bush is limited and you want to give yourself the very best chance you need to spend the money for the right machine to do the job :eek: you want it to do. The monster is a great machine if used properly but can be very frustrating as it dosnt handle mineralization very well it needs to be balanced every few steps it will find tiny bits of gold once it is mastered but really who would bother when the sdc smashes it in the field . Can honestly say Ive never come home without gold with the sdc .
Minelab make the best gold machines by far and they cost what they cost . Take advantage of the technology. Dont skimp you will only be disappointed.
Your success will be proportionate to the machine you buy and the effort you put in. :cool: :Y:

Some good advice there form all members, first I tried a cheap VLF, then moved to a "proper" VLF, was like night and day - made the journey more pleasurable for sure. Sounds like you want to try a few things and see what you like the best. Value for money, you cannot go past the Minelab Equinox 800. It will do everything you are wanting without blowing the bank.

These are relatively easy to use and have heaps of YouTube tutorials. The best thing you can do is buy one and get started - then you can experience al the opportunities that you may want to follow. I have an Equinox 600 and took it to a local beach - found a collectable coin in the first 20 mins, but I prefer the goldfields and ended up with a GPX5000, but then you are talking bigger dollars and additional coils, accessories etc... Take the plunge, Minelab have excellent resale value if you choose not to pursue prospecting.

Booney said:
A good gold machine isnt as good for relics
A good relic machine isnt as good for gold
You have got a lot of research to do first ,all the answers you seek are here within this forum use the Search icon all these questions have been answered many times .
But if your starting out and want to find gold the sdc is the machine to get . If you want relics you would get a nox 800 or a ctx
Horses for courses .
A lot of newbie want an all rounder on a budget and thats fine but the honest truth is your time in the bush is limited and you want to give yourself the very best chance you need to spend the money for the right machine to do the job :eek: you want it to do. The monster is a great machine if used properly but can be very frustrating as it dosnt handle mineralization very well it needs to be balanced every few steps it will find tiny bits of gold once it is mastered but really who would bother when the sdc smashes it in the field . Can honestly say Ive never come home without gold with the sdc .
Minelab make the best gold machines by far and they cost what they cost . Take advantage of the technology. Dont skimp you will only be disappointed.
Your success will be proportionate to the machine you buy and the effort you put in. :cool: :Y:
Thanks mate, Im only going in on a MINELAB as I know they are great. Budget is set in mind with the other half thinking she can spend the same on a handbag or something useless lol. Personally I would just go out and get the bees knees. I will look back through the forum again and really appreciate your advice ?

A-team said:
Some good advice there form all members, first I tried a cheap VLF, then moved to a "proper" VLF, was like night and day - made the journey more pleasurable for sure. Sounds like you want to try a few things and see what you like the best. Value for money, you cannot go past the Minelab Equinox 800. It will do everything you are wanting without blowing the bank.

These are relatively easy to use and have heaps of YouTube tutorials. The best thing you can do is buy one and get started - then you can experience al the opportunities that you may want to follow. I have an Equinox 600 and took it to a local beach - found a collectable coin in the first 20 mins, but I prefer the goldfields and ended up with a GPX5000, but then you are talking bigger dollars and additional coils, accessories etc... Take the plunge, Minelab have excellent resale value if you choose not to pursue prospecting.
Cheers mate , I was actually torn between the equinox 800 and the monster. Im keen to continue my research as usual and appreciate the feedback. I too have noticed the resale value and thats why Im keen on the MINELAB as well. Plus theres not a lot second hand for sale which also speaks volumes. There is a gpx near me with multiple coils for $2200 and I was tempted to try that out thinking I could always re sell it

Moving up to a GPX is a whole different game. It's something that you have to spend time "learning" as there are particular set up procedures and MANY different settings to consider. Also, determine if it is a counterfeit before buying! I'm not saying don't take the plunge, but research some more. Also take a look at the SDC2300 though that is more gold specific also. So many options, so many variables - enjoy your time choosing!

A-team said:
Moving up to a GPX is a whole different game. It's something that you have to spend time "learning" as there are particular set up procedures and MANY different settings to consider. Also, determine if it is a counterfeit before buying! I'm not saying don't take the plunge, but research some more. Also take a look at the SDC2300 though that is more gold specific also. So many options, so many variables - enjoy your time choosing!
Yes I did see a YouTube video where he had about 7 lined up including these ones we are discussing. It seems like I could be better off with 2. Just dont know how to break that news to the missus ;) Thankyou for your help

If you want to detect around old diggings, creeks, reefs etc. then go for the Gold Monster.
If you want to also detect some old mining camps, ruins etc. the trash will be overwhelming for the monster. The Equinox 800 would be better in this case.

I'd tend to lean towards the Equinox because you'll soon realise you can find plenty of coins and save up for a pulse induction machine which you will need when you want to step things up and start digging some deeper holes.

Keep ya eyes and ears on the ground anzacjase,bargains pop up,i picked up a gpx4000 in good nic 2 weeks ago with a 17x13 evo on it for $1400,i was actually going to clean it up and flip it for $2k+ but i passed it onto a mate that was looking to upgrade from a 2100,he ended up with it so hes stoked.....

PeterInSa said:
Re a Very Good buy re ( gpx4000 in good nic 2 weeks ago with a 17x13 evo on it )

The Evo new Cost $570.

It was advertised at first for $2k ono with a 15 detech spiral and sp01 and evo,by the time i got there he had sold the sp01 and detech separately bugger.....

Check out this video from a forum member. Good info for newbies and old hands.

[video=480,360]https://
If you want to detect around old diggings, creeks, reefs etc. then go for the Gold Monster.
If you want to also detect some old mining camps, ruins etc. the trash will be overwhelming for the monster. The Equinox 800 would be better in this case.

I'd tend to lean towards the Equinox because you'll soon realise you can find plenty of coins and save up for a pulse induction machine which you will need when you want to step things up and start digging some deeper holes.
I’m looking at the entry level options too, hoping to find a good second hand one I can afford. Is the gold monster is difficult to use where there’s a lot of ironstone? I liked that it’s easy to use but I have s lot of ironstone in the area. Is it better than the 2300? So at sea with the options here

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m looking at the entry level options too, hoping to find a good second hand one I can afford. Is the gold monster is difficult to use where there’s a lot of ironstone? I liked that it’s easy to use but I have s lot of ironstone in the area. Is it better than the 2300? So at sea with the options here
Yes, the Gold Monster will be difficult to use (noisy) in highly mineralised, ironstone-rich ground. The SDC2300 is far superior in such areas as well as being very easy to use, but it costs a lot more.