Grabben Gullen information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the clarification. I found this old map, not sure how old it is which shows 3 fossicking areas down from the bridge through the private property.
1572518659_crookwell.jpg

I don't mind the red bellies - they 'go' the browns, and move off when they see you. The Browns are bastards and will chase you though.

I was down Tailem bend in my youth, cooling off in an irrigation canal - I'd been hay cutting - and this brown saw me from 150 yards away and did the old 'loch ness' trip - it's head and half it's neck out of the water. It came in a straight line for me, followed by a 'V', and when i moved out of the water and walked up the slope, this bloody thing kept coming.

I remember running about 50 metres or so and it was only then that the bugger stopped. Mongrel thing.

No...I don't mind the Black snake - they just slither away.

Are the snakes really that bad out there? And silly question but do you really run from a brow or stay still?

Not a silly question at all.

The female Brown will guard it's territory where its eggs are, according to the Old Fella's, and so, the logic was that as soon as you weren't a threat to those eggs, you were right.

As for not running - I'll leave that to some one else to find any truth behind it.

Personally - I'll run from anything that chases me that has a venomous bite.

There are sapphires for most of the length of GG creek but most of it is private property with only one small public fossicking area near the bridge. Access to the other spots might need permission from the owners. Upstream or downstream I don't think one would be better than the other.

Sushi said:
I've driven past heading north on my way home and met 3 young guys from Canberra. They'd be up the creek (towards the south side) until they reached a waterfall of some sort and we're digging and sieving the gravel in the river.

Showed me probably 30 Sapphires and a handful of Zircons, all cutter size and good clarity for about 4 hours work.

But much the same as other areas, you need to be digging down into the older gravel washes, this can usually be seen in the big holes people have dug into the side of the riverbank. Sometimes 1-2ft down.

I remember meeting someone at GG around early 2019, the first time I went there, remember him telling me he met a few guys who had walked somewhat far up the creek and were digging at a waterfall and had found a fair amount there.

Wonder if its the same people, couldn't believe I read this haha

South is down stream , there is a waterfall down there, just keep in mind once you cross a fence your on private land, the landholders are usually quite approachable and accommodating.
In my my opinion anyone getting bigger cutting saphs are digging the jesus out of the banks into old gravels or are smart enough to go after big flood events.
Also my opinion is its the wrong time of year to go trudging along the creek, wait for a flood to flatten the grass and weeds and hopefully rip some new gravel up.

aussiefarmer said:
South is down stream , there is a waterfall down there, just keep in mind once you cross a fence your on private land, the landholders are usually quite approachable and accommodating.
In my my opinion anyone getting bigger cutting saphs are digging the jesus out of the banks into old gravels or are smart enough to go after big flood events.
Also my opinion is its the wrong time of year to go trudging along the creek, wait for a flood to flatten the grass and weeds and hopefully rip some new gravel up.

I had a look on google earth not sure if this is the waterfall? but the creek looks really f'd up quite far downstream. its hard to discern, its blurry on google earth. looks like some really deep parts of water
1611484171_u1-min.jpg

1611484172_u2-min.jpg

1611484172_u3-min.jpg

Heatho said:
Yeah maybe you're right Shivan, I don't think I've found 1 big enough to see the striations though, lol. I was reading a report that said Olivine was present in GG creek but it never mentioned Tourmaline, does not mean to say it's not present.

But yes striations sound like Tourmaline, would be good to get a definitive answer on it. Maybe someone has a decent sized piece of the stuff to post up a pic.

I know this is a very old post but I found 2 of these larger green ones with striations 2ct if you're still interested I could post a picture

Kotolos said:
Heatho said:
Yeah maybe you're right Shivan, I don't think I've found 1 big enough to see the striations though, lol. I was reading a report that said Olivine was present in GG creek but it never mentioned Tourmaline, does not mean to say it's not present.

But yes striations sound like Tourmaline, would be good to get a definitive answer on it. Maybe someone has a decent sized piece of the stuff to post up a pic.

I know this is a very old post but I found 2 of these larger green ones with striations 2ct if you're still interested I could post a picture

Please do Kotolos.

Cheers

Doug

Just a warning on grabben gullen,
a week or more ago the locals had to extinguish and bury some idiots camp fire, I am told they aren't very happy at all,
so if you go, be on your best behaviour and don't expect the locals to be overly friendly.

Latest posts