Coiltek Elites ?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Saw another member here at Tennant creek last year, who had a few minor issues with the 14"elite, became a bit bump sensitive from memory.
Internally, they are not as solid as the NF,s and the Commanders inside are also pretty lightly built.

davent said:
Saw another member here at Tennant creek last year, who had a few minor issues with the 14"elite, became a bit bump sensitive from memory.
Internally, they are not as solid as the NF,s and the Commanders inside are also pretty lightly built.

Was out today at Daylesford with the 11 inch elite mono on my 5000, constant bump signals, even on grass!!! and any downward pressure on the coil would sound off like ground noise. It is super sensitive, and easy to dial in, but damn....it sure can be frustrating. Why do I continue to use it? Well there is a coil for every purpose, and today was appropriate for a sensitive 11 inch coil. Won't but a Coiltek again. I use Detech (can give mild bump signals) and Nugget Finder without issue now.

UPDATE: after getting my eyes checked, and using them on the faulty coil....it all became apparent!

1607584267_elite.jpg

Thinking it might be retirement time for this one? Am in consultation with Coiltek to see if they can help me out with a new top cover. Maybe they should update their covers to extend the supporting spider arms all the way to the edge, you know - like every other manufacturer is doing now? Sad as this 11 inch mono elite has some pretty impressive performance and is one of my favorite coils for the 5000. Have seen a test on a NF used to chop and clear bush....now that's one tuff coil.

Mmmmm ...... very interesting.

That coil of A-teams seems a bit worse for wear ...... don't treat mine with kid gloves but that looks like some serious ground bashing, or maybe something heavy caused the issue (???). Usually any excessive pressure would tilt the coil at the shaft screw. Have you had the coil since new and how old is it ?

Haven't had an issue (as yet) with my 14" .... apart from the deep targets that stuff me digging them up.

Have however recently had my 11" returned for a check up ...... couldn't get the thing to shut up, noisy as (while the 14" was running sweet as) ....... don't expect a quick response due to crappy mail service at the moment but will be interesting to see what they say.

Hope your issue gets resolved, keep us posted.

Cheers T.

Teemore said:
Mmmmm ...... very interesting.

That coil of A-teams seems a bit worse for wear ...... don't treat mine with kid gloves but that looks like some serious ground bashing, or maybe something heavy caused the issue (???). Usually any excessive pressure would tilt the coil at the shaft screw. Have you had the coil since new and how old is it ?

Haven't had an issue (as yet) with my 14" .... apart from the deep targets that stuff me digging them up.

Have however recently had my 11" returned for a check up ...... couldn't get the thing to shut up, noisy as (while the 14" was running sweet as) ....... don't expect a quick response due to crappy mail service at the moment but will be interesting to see what they say.

Hope your issue gets resolved, keep us posted.

Cheers T.

I wasn't the first owner of this coil, it arrived from WA with my 5000 that I bought second hand. I'd only used it a handful of times before I noticed what was going on. Buy the condition of the lead, I'd say it was extremely well used before it got to me. In saying that, it still is a design flaw that NF seemed to fix by taking the webbing all the way to the edge. After a bit of searching, I found it's not a new problem in the design - unfortunately it just hasn't been addressed..

I've communicated with Coiltek, had no problems. They did advise of a Christmas close-down for a few weeks and advised they'd be back in the swing of things mid/late January. They seemed very helpful and friendly - I've heard the opposite from others on the forum, but can't fault them - well maybe their product :lol:

Woo Hoo

Nice surprise in the mail today ....... replacement 11" coil direct from Coiltek.

Wasn't expecting any response till after Christmas (mail has been crap) so this is a bonus.

Old coil was probably really out of warranty (coil No. 270 so an early one) and was expecting repair at cost (which I would have had no trouble with considering its age).

Thanks E E Day (Ballarat) and Coiltek, can't fault service and response from either.

Cheers T.

1607647776_69eb1829-c8a1-4d85-8e29-3e9aad2a828c_1_201_a.jpg

A-team said:
I wasn't the first owner of this coil, it arrived from WA with my 5000 that I bought second hand.

Probably damaged when you got it ...... what was the serial number, might give an indication of its age .... mine was 270 I'd say a good 4 years old.

If used in WA probably got a bit more exposure to extreme usage than it would receive in Vic.
Happy that Coiltek replaced mine, even though they didn't have to and I would have been happy with a repair ...... nearly all my gold over 0.5gm (biggest 22gms) was found with either the 11" or 14" Elite ....... SDC great for small volume of stuff but the Elites get the bigger gold.

Cheers, T.

Serial number on mine is 649, unfortunately I don't have the proof of purchase paperwork so might end up in the bin. I took a look inside and found water had leaked in the cracks, and movement of the coil withing the plastic casing had caused the conductive paint to wear through in some spots. Must of had a lot of use. Nugget finder use injection molds and bond everything for zero movement. Will be purchasing either a Detech 12.5 inch mono or NF as a replacement. I'm not forking out over $400 on something of that quality (Coiltek) knowing what I know now. Hopefully they will move forward with their R&D and improve the design???

A-team said:
Will be purchasing either a Detech 12.5 inch mono or NF as a replacement.

My replacement is No. 1075 so guessing that coil must be around 2.5 to 3 years old. Had a quick test and I'd say you'd twist a wrist or dislocate an arm trying to put enough pressure on the coil to do any damage in normal detecting situations .... Guessing it was most likely stepped on or driven over.

Bit like Ford v Holden, both have their followers for whatever reason, also have 2 NF coils (elliptical 14x7 and Sadie) wouldn't say much difference in overall quality, they all have their use and all have found gold.

Cheers T.

Never heard of a NF Evo cracking on the top but heard of more than a few Coilteks doing it, and same issues with becoming bump sensitive.
When I purchased my 4500 new I wanted to buy the Coiltek 14" Elite but was advised by a trusted person to go with NF Evo, glad I took that advise and never regretted it.
I've got friends that have had issues with multiple Elite coils. Personally, I think the NF Evo's are worth the extra $$ but like you said Tom it's much like Ford v Holden and everyone has a favorite.

I had some chatter with my 14 cammo coil. It was about 4+ years old as well the sheath covering the connection cable had collapsed. I rang Coiltek to ask if it could be repaired. They offered to have a look if I sent it to them, which I did. Within 10 days they sent me a new coil free of charge. I am stoked. Credit where credit is due. Thanks Coiltek. :perfect:

Latest posts