Location of Amethyst O'Connell Rd

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello Everyone!

I've been told by someone in Oberon along O'Connell Rd you can find terminated amethyst.
Does anyone have further information about this or where to go exactly?

Also: I know there's areas for amethyst in QLD, is there any areas in NSW for amethyst, if you'd like to share,
really appreciate it.

Thank you for any responses :D

Had a look in a book I have on Aus and NZ Gemstones. It says "Important Australian localities are: Glen Elgin and Oban, north-east of Armidale in NSW; at Donford south of Bowen in Q'land;". When I checked the entry for Oberon there was no mention of Amethyst.

The plot thickens..... and usually no locals have ever heard anything about it when you ask them. Try having a few beers at the local and striking up conversations..... the people in pubs usually know everything about anything if you are shouting. :beer:

There's an old post on PA of the digitised placenames list from a 1933 Australian Gemstone Localities publication:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3557&p=1

Under NSW, it does list Oberon and also what may be the exact location you're seeking:

AMETHYST: Broken Hill, Oberon, O'Connell's Plains, Tarana, Araluen, Mittagong, East's Beach

(Please note that in the responses to the placenames topic there's doubts expressed by knowledgeable members about the reliability of some of the placenames, so don't take them as gospel).

I do remember finding an amethyst deposit in that area when I was researching the area on the old mineral deposit map database. Just checked minview and there is nothing mentioned.

From memory it was on private property.

I'd stick with Black Springs, there's not just sapphire there, I have seen some very nice quartz crystals from there as well and other interesting stones.