Geovic information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gday heads up

Are you using the Avenza maps on a tablet ?

Still working ok ?

Anthony

Hi

I use mine on an iPad , they work fine provided the IPad has the GPS function , not all iPads do so check youre getting that if you intend buying one.

I have seen people with more experience than me who convert almost any other type of maps and import them into avenza too for viewing with GPS functionality .

I intend doing the same when I get a spare couple of hours to sit down and learn .

1520314936_sylvester.jpg

GypsyGoldAu said:
Around here lately, Telstra have been letting it's customers down...(no i/net connection)

Tried resetting your comp.?

My system (laptop) does that sort of thing when either my Modem stick, or computer get to too high a temperature...sometimes followed by a shut-down.

Leave 5 mins, restart,..all good for me.

ymmv...

Cheers

Exactly same reason cause "too long to respond" and one more thing when I was browsing and opened more than 10 pages in my browser then I found the same error. After closing some tabs, everything working fine.

Gday PA people...

Id really appreciate anyones help with this...

I have an GeoVic area that I want to overlay on Google Earth.

im pretty right from the Google Earth end of things
BUT ive no idea what/how to save the GeoVic map area to be ovelayed....

Can someone shed some light on this please

Thx heaps
:koala: :pickshovel:

OK
I figured it out..
In my case I was wanting to 'find streams, creeks and waterways' in a targeted area,
and by doing such, discern whether or not these 'streams, creeks and waterways' were on THE EXEMPTED LIST or not......
The process which gives me a mapped area of where im targeting too.

Just in case anyone else wants to know here's how u take an 'old map' or 'GeoVic' saved map-image area and OVERLAY it on Google Earth.
(fyi im doing this on a MacBook)

Step 1
Have you 'GeoVic map image' saved as a pdf file......(I save mine to the Desktop)

Step 2
Then locate your pdf file and go to FILE > EXPORT
in next menu down below u can save the format to jpg (low res) or png (higher res)......I chose png for this exercise.
Then choose a place to SAVE it...(again desktop), also RENAME it....ie 'Talbot 1 png' and click SAVE.
NOW u have an image instead of a pdf document saved on your desktop.

STEP 3
Next open Google Earth...go to ADD IMAGE OVELAY and RENAME....ie 'Talbot streams and creeks'.
Next go to the BROWSE tab and select your 'Talbot 1 png' file saved on desktop earlier.
BEFORE YOU PRESS OK - adjust the opacity for the image so you can size & place accurately....
Once this is done THEN hit OK.

STEP 4
Access in the field on Google Earth or PRINT out your image to paper.
Go n find some Gold with confidence you're not in exempted areas and find places easier.

(I don't know as yet but im now attempting to work out if the 'saved image' can be uploaded to Avenza maps for instance..).

anyways Good Luck and I hope this helped somebody.
:goldpan: :pickshovel: :goldnugget: :koala:

Some time ago, I was fiddling around on GeoVic or with downloaded spatial data from the Victorian Spatial Datamart and came across a dataset that listed water features that are no longer extant. If I recall correctly, they were listed as "past" water features. Like an old dried up stream that no longer runs.

I've been trying to find this again without luck. I've reviewed the HY_WATERCOURSE and HY_WATER_AREA_POLYGON datasets and cannot find any attribute of the entries that has to do with whether the feature is extant or not.

Anybody know if I was dreaming or if not, where this data is located?

I suppose the use-case for such data is obvious :)

Thanks!

Anybody know how to see all power lines on GeoVic - or, preferably, if there is a spatial dataset that contains this information? Some main power lines can be seen using the "Features of Interest - Lines" dataset, but I'm also curious about the smaller power lines.

More generally, I am looking for datasets that identify potential sources of EMI for detectors.

Latest posts