Getting a Reading..but can't find anything

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So it's probably because I'm new to detecting...but when I get a hit I can't find what's there.. frustrating man...

Lowie,
Yes can be frustrating, my advice would be to beg, borrow, steal a few of the millions of shotgun pellets laying around our country side and bury it, then using your coil practice pinpointing it.
Swing over the area until you get a signal, now step back and come in low and slow until you once again get a signal. Draw a line in the sand where you got the signal.
NOW, step around 90 and approach low and slow, when you get the signal again draw a line in the sand.
Where the two lines cross your target will be below.
Naturally once you get used to this method there will be no further need to scratch the lines in the sand.

What machine ?
Do you use a scoop ?
Use the method nightjar mentioned then scrape material back checking every 1inch of material until the signal moves from dig site and into scraped back pile , then reuse nightjars method to find where in pile signal is , scoop that part up until you have signal in scoop.
Slowly shake material into your hand, checking all the time for signal in scoop do this until signal moves from scoop to hand and hey Presto you should find it.

Other disappearing signals are caused by
Steel cap boots
Pick to close to coil
Mobile phone in pocket
Steel pins in your bones
Wind
Hot rocks

Remember gold is tiny and detectors are super sensitive , everyone starts out looking for golf ball sized nuggets when reality is the most common nuggets will be match head sized.

As aussiefarmer hinted, need a bit more info.

Where are you detecting? Goldfields, old house site, the beach...?
What are you using for recovery? Pick, shovel, sand scoop...?

There can be lots of reasons for losing a signal. I reckon Nightjar's advice is good - bury some targets and get a feel for your new machine and how to go extracting the targets. The 90-degree check he mentions is a good way to pinpoint a target.

Lowie1981 said:
So it's probably because I'm new to detecting...but when I get a hit I can't find what's there.. frustrating man...

G'day Lowie welcome to PA yep it sure can be frustrating, answering your question is similar by virtue of limited detail. As others have said more information regarding your machine general location will help you get it sorted sooner than later :Y: :beer:

Edit: just read your introductory thread, can't help you info about the Vanquish 440 best of luck looking forward to your updates :beer:

Hey fellas I'm using a Minelab Vanquish 440..an was only looking around the yard at my place..I did line up some coins, nails,a can,few other things before I went out the backyard to try get a feel for it..found a 5cent coin within 30 seconds so I was pretty stoked with that .I'm only using a garden scope to dig ATM lol...going to try the this Arvo if I get time

Yes I'm going to get one..I was sussing around my yard an found a 1952 penny not in the best condition but a score

I just spent some time detecting at the beach at Batemans Bay - was getting very frustrated as many of my detections seemed to be unfindable. It happens!

I was using an Equinox 800 in 'Beach 1' mode.

Oh, also - should just mention that at this time of year at Batemans Bay 90% of beach finds seem to be beer bottle tops, beer cans or sinkers. Very annoying.

Black sand and certain types of rocks will give a signal if you have the sensitivity cranked up.

Latest posts