Bushman 52 litre fridge freezer

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just looking for reviews on the Australian made bushman portable fridge freezer in the 52litre size. Reviews on the product review website are very good , anyone using one of these?

I've got 1, great fridge. You can change the size with an insert and the high lid. The only shortcoming I have found is that the high lid could do with a bit more insulation. This can be overcome by laying a blanket over the top. I did make a cover from some foil backed foam insulation when we went up north and that worked well.
Would I buy 1 again, yes.

Snapperhappy,
Following on from xcvator's comments.
Extra insulation on any portable fridge is an asset in our climate.
When I bought my old fridge back in 1983 I had a woollen blanket lined canvas cover made for it, more for protection than insulation.
This fridge is mainly used as freezer and travels on the back of my ute with a combo fridge/freezer, in, under the tray canvas cover.
The temperature usually ranged -6/-8C. Purely by chance, one day I placed our dogs blanket on the lid before walking away detecting.
When we returned I noticed the digital readout showed the temperature at -13C. :D
When we returned home I cut up an old sheepskin seat cover and glued it to the inside of the lid canvas cover.
This extra insulation changed the freezer readout from that day on. Average; -11/-13C A much safer temperature to store food for long term.

So it is obvious when you decide on your ideal fridge include a cover and then include extra insulation.

Thanks for the tip Nightjar. Had a young sheep run across the road and hit my front tyre on the way to Tibooburra in August. I should have skinned it.

I have one and it is brillant.

Only thing missing is an internal light but,

As the maker say's, Just some thing else to go wrong.

I like the idea of the over ride switch.
If some thing goes wrong with the electronics,
Flick the switch and it will run full time.
Just remember to turn it on and off untill you get home.

Switch is located down through the louvers below the display.

I have one which I use as a freezer....I am totally off the grid and it works like a charm...250watt 24 volt solar panel through an mppt charge controller into a 130 amp gel battery.....have the fridge configured in its 45 l size set at minus 12........even during 40 plus days no problem

Chino1 said:
I have one which I use as a freezer....I am totally off the grid and it works like a charm...250watt 24 volt solar panel through an mppt charge controller into a 130 amp gel battery.....have the fridge configured in its 45 l size set at minus 12........even during 40 plus days no problem

Ehhhh dont know how to edit but I also have a Mammoth 72l that I use as a fridge full time since October 2018, it is set at 2 degrees which seems to be its sweet spot and works well, I did have the interface replaced under warranty though and the fridge is running off 320watts of solar through a PWM charge controller into a Neutron Power deep cycle truck battery, I tried to use it as a freezer once as it is a Dual Zone in one side but the power consumption was way too high.

Finally as since the others are in permanent use at my little abode I bought a Trial Zone 45l for going camping, I have set this one up using a S/H 250watt 24 volt panel through a mppt charge controller into my take away battery box that is a 120 amp gel battery in it and to be honest it has impressed me, I have it set at 2 degrees and the beer is juuuuust off freezing.

Edit Thats weird I can edit this post but not the other

Update on the Oztrail, been working like a charm so no issue there however with easter just passed I saw it advertised on "special" for $469 when I got mine probably a little more that a month and half ago it was $449 and now I see it being advertised at $799!!

Latest posts