My First sluice box

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yobs1980

Alex Bender
Reaction score
OK so here goes, this is i spose a unique design.
This is a very simple one and I'm sure soon enough I will need to make improvements
Decided to use marine ply - figured it should be ok.
Was given a bread crate so decided to use it - ran out of battery in my jigsaw to cut "L's" into all of it - but done the top so should work ok.

1393147342_img_2511.jpg

Any thoughts on it?

Looks like it will trap some yellow....I would try it.
Nice effort Yobs

Yea looks good mate, maybe stop off at bunnings and grab some "tanaliser", being a carpenter we always used to coat our "end grain" in a marine grade tanaliser if it was being exposed.... As once the timber is cut the exposed "grain" has no "treatment"...
Just a suggestion Horse to prolong the life of your sluice..
Regards,
BigSam

Big Sam, thanks bud - was wondering what to treat it with - i'm 100k's from bunnings but next time i shoot to canberra i'll be sure to get some.

Nothing wrong with marine ply made many highbankers with it. good job will catch gold for sure. that plastic cuts easily with tin snips

If you have no easy access to a hardware store, just run a few beads of silicon or liquid nails along the exposed edges. rub it in with the finger to get in there good and proper like and it should protect from water, test it out on a bit of scrap first.

Sluice looks good, like the aluminium angle to keep the crate in, maybe put a piece of wood across the middle like a handle so you can stack a couple of rocks on to keep it in the water, being wood, it may float if the water gets underneath.

Cheers, Tone

High guys I'm new 2 this but mate that looks good ...was wondering tho wouldn't it b abit heavy to lug around especially when sum of the terrine is abit awkward ... But still kool set up ;)

Love it.. Things don't have to be complicated and costly to do the job.. And built it yourself.. Best get it wet soon.. :)

I'm thinking it could be a good option until finances are a bit better. I may have a go at one before starting the Walbanker.

Cliff

Thanks guys for the input.

Tone - yeah i think silicone will have to be the option. yeah she does float - but there are always big rocks around wherever i seem to be so one across the top seems to do the trick.

Reklaz - its only 9mm ply mate - not very heavy at all - mind you my motto for life is "I'm not very bright but I can lift heavy things" - i have no issues with having my pans, classifier, bucket & shovel all in or strapped to a backpack and carrying the sluice under the arm.

Wal - Thanks buddy - I don't have any of that roofers mesh you use - will have a chat to a commercial roofer one of these days and try and get a bit for the front and back - i know nothing about gemstones - but hell i don't know much about anything so i'm willing to learn so may aswell try and catch a few gemstones - i've been told there are plenty of ruby's up in the mountains.

Kawman - gonna get her wet tomorrow - day off work so it means to the river!

Coyote - the finances was my biggest thing - havent spent much yet - a basic garret gold panning kit, a cheap and easy sluice box, a shovel, and a handypail bucket to classify into. I think i'm sitting a shy over $150.

Don't need any expanded in the river sluice mate. The crate will be more than sufficient over that length of sluice. ;) just don't forget to cut the rest of the "Ls" out.

Wal.