Faulty enhancer or not ?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have an old BZ Neptune enhancer that has a constant high pitch tone in the background. It enhances audio signals well enough but Im not sure if the above problem is a fault or not. One thing I do know is there is no way I can put up with it. The high pitch noise can be heard on my 2100 and 3500.
Thanks for any ideas,
Tony

To tell if it's faulty or not you really need to compare it with another one.
A lot of basic detector amplifiers can have a background hum - I wouldn't say it's a high pitched tone though, that does sound like an issue with it somewhere.
Most people who use them are used to the "hum" or use detector settings to minimise it so it doesn't bother them.
It's more apparent with headphones & have read that the B&Z volume needs to be above about ~2 to reduce it.
Not sure you can do much in regards to detector settings with the SD2100 - maybe try a lower threshold & bit higher B&Z volume?
With the GP3500 you can lower both volume & signal then use a bit higher B&Z volume until you find settings that minimise it to a usable level.

I had similar issues with an sp01. Scrubbed the plugs with that rough kitchen scrub thing. Worked better but never perfect so i got rid of it. :|

Thanks for the replies......only tried it with headphones so far but have a speaker to test it on next week.
Hopefully not so bad with the speaker setup.
Thanks again
Tony

To get rid of the noise you need to lift the booster volume above 2 1/2, on older machines with no volume control this can be an issue when using headphones. Try some headphones with a volume control so you can lift the booster volume.

JP

Thanks JP......after some trial and error, a combination of booster at about 4, headphone volume set at almost high and the 2100s threshold turned up quite a bit so as to be solid and no cutting in and out gave a pleasing result. Decided I dont really need an enhancer on my 3500 with good headphones and my overall good hearing.

Latest posts