NSW State Forest Closures and Restrictions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi and hope everyone had a great xmas
I had planned a trip out to Nundle for a dig/detect. Because of the SF closures I have had to rethink the whole idea. So I was wondering if anyone can tell me is there anywhere else worth looking that is not SF. eg. Pubic land. (don't need to be specific)
I have never been out there but have researched the hell out of the place. All the spots I have chosen to have a look are SF. Don't want to just sit at home
Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks

They're closed for good reason!
There are 3 reasonably big fires in the Nundle area & although they are listed as "being controlled" a change in conditions can change that quickly & dramatically as seen elsewhere.
I'd be reluctant to recommend anywhere near any fires at the moment & would suggest staying away if you really don't need to be there.
In fact until things settle down I wouldn't be recommending people go into any area where they don't know the area very well.
Just my opinion....

Mudgee area has been lucky so far.
I would look at areas that are safer.
That also have another road out, than just in.
Always have a plan B.
Do a recon trip .
Where are you from?

Thanks Mudgee hunter. I'm from Tea Gardens. I have postponed my trip to Nundle area for another time when it all settles down. As for Mudgee I have some private property out that way I can get on for a dig.
I didn't mean for anyone to get their back up and I appreciate their concerns, but I think I should have been clearer in my post. I was mainly asking if there was any public land other than SF away from any fires. I'm well aware of the situation as I check daily on theRFS site. Also I consider myself very experienced in the bush as I have grown up there.
Anyway staying at home now close to the coast. Much cooler

Thanks LoneWolf. Already got that sorted. Been keeping an eye on them.
Don't think they will be in a hurry to open them back up any time soon. Not until Christmas holidays are over or we get some rain
Anyway there is always the beach to detect. Plenty of rich holiday makers here dropping money and jewellery. Never know what might turn up

Yes im keen to get into an area as well, but will wait till its Open again...

I don't want a tree coming down near me when im digging...

LW...

Hi guys,

I recently renewed my fossicking permit only to find that there are becoming even less places where you are allowed to pan.

Take Mogo for example. Most (if not all rivers) seem to be off limits now. Ive never been there, but it was on my to do list.

1606014986_76fed565-47cf-4270-8b8d-b5d7707ab7fb.jpg

All of the places further south that used to be ok (around Narooma and Tilba) are off limits too now.

Bit of a bummer. We cant get out and about anymore to get out of the house and relax on the bank of a river and go through a pan or two. You can see from my avatar that I am extremely small scale and truly just do it for a hobby.

Almost wish I didnt renew my permit now, as its useless to me here on the far south coast.

Time to find another hobby I guess...

I had a look at some around here & don't see any additional restrictions for them.
You may have to ring an office on the South Coast & ask? NSW State Forests have always been pretty good with us lot. I'm sure there'd be a good reason for it.
My guess is (& it is just a guess) that some areas may be under temporary restrictions due to last years/this years bushfires. Seems to be a pattern of a lot of restrictions in areas I know to have been affected?

Batemans Bay office
Crown Street
Batemans Bay
Batemans Bay 2536

P: 1300 880 548

Thanks for the reply, mbasko.

Was gathering info today before ringing them. It's an odd one. You look today and it's all ok again. So, I'll hold off.

1606162788_gold_map.jpg

Wonder if it's a weekend restriction to reduce impact or something? I'll have a look again this weekend to test the theory. Either that or restrictions due to the fires have coincidently just been lifted (if there were any to start with).

One of life's big mysteries. :D

Says there that Mogo re-opened 1st July. The screen grab in my original post was only a couple of days ago.

Most likely a glitch while they were updating the mapping software.

If you keep an eye on the closures section,
It is more definitive than the maps.

Latest posts