Minelab GPX6000 release, general information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mbasko said:
They will buy it for the same reasons they've upgraded previously since the SD2000 through to the GPX5000.
Even if the performance gain is negligible it will create enough doubt in some that they will need to have one or they won't sleep at night.
Others will see any performance gain as a must have to give them an edge.
Some will just appreciate the modern user interface, built in wifi & onboard battery. Any extra performance or timings will be a bonus.

All these are valid buy reasons.

Consistent upgrades have always produced 'superior' machines, some for specific targets eg Gold Monster/SDC

Not sure about buying because of even negligible performance gains sadly many probably aren't using their detectors to the best of its, not their capabilities ..... except maybe the SDC which is dead easy for newcomers to get their head around.

Those who are on top of getting max. performance from their units will welcome what it may offer.

Different more user friendly interface and minor tweaks like that will be welcomed.

Sadly what we need are new goldfield opportunities, don't like the term most are "flogged' to death .... we all know that gold keeps coming from these "flogged' areas although I must admit with so many new operators out there (thanks Gold Rush Aust and similar shows - NOT) it is getting harder to find and usually smaller.

Private Property is where most of the gold now resides ....... often scratch my head wondering who some of these bushland areas were ever allowed to be subdivided into private holdings (greedy councils after an easy cash grab ???).

Will be watching with interest .........

I think there will be alot of interest in the 6000,gpxs are to due for an update,its been the same platform for a very long time...
Whats the consensus on its functions,anyone know or think it will have a gps built in?

Goldchaser1 said:
I think there will be alot of interest in the 6000,gpxs are to due for an update,its been the same platform for a very long time...
Whats the consensus on its functions,anyone know or think it will have a gps built in?

Hello Dave & Betina. I havent heard of a GPS fitted, could be??

But I have heard a few things about the new 6000, and have seen a photo too, it does look like a 7000.
Yet it looked like a smaller version to me. The coil looked like about 14 inches in size. There was a speaker? grille, near the rear fitted battery.

There are a few other things released about it so far, and these are:

Quote: Minelab will soon release a new GPX detector which introduces an ease of use technology. Called Geo-Sense Pulse Induction.

This sounds to me like a new automated ground tracking of Earth Field noise cancellation.

It also has Spread Spectrum, TX RX.

Spread spectrum generally makes use of a sequential noise-like signal structure, and is used to "spread" a radio signal over a wide frequency range several magnitudes higher than minimum requirement.

The core principle of spread spectrum is the use of noise-like carrier waves, and, as the name implies, bandwidths much wider than that required for simple point-to-point communication at the same data rate.

Benefits of Spread Spectrum. Resistance to Interference Effects.

There are many benefits to spread-spectrum technology. Resistance to interference is the most important advantage.

Intentional or unintentional interference are rejected, because they do not contain the spread-spectrum key.

Only the desired signal, which has the key, will be seen at the receiver
when the DE-spreading operation is exercised.

You can practically ignore the interference, narrow-band or wide-band, if it does not include the key used in the DE-spreading operation in the control box.

There has been talk of it coming out with 3 coils? An announcement date expected on the 18 / 12 / 20, and a release in early 2021.

Quote: "progressed development of our new GPX replacement gold detector, to be released in FY21;"

Cheers from ozziegold.

grubstake said:
I expect the 6000 will have a one-piece, styled plastic casing like the GPZ and CTX, as the GPX-series tin box is too easily counterfeited. The 6000 will likely also have a large display screen above the handgrip, like the other recent machines.

Only hear-say but it's format is supposed to be the major visual difference, a 7000 look-a-like. No ZVT, that's for the top end at the moment (or until it's copied or superseded with new technology). Improvements are more software/option based rather than new technology. Yes to GEO as others have mentioned, I do like the simple one-unit format over my 5000 but couldn't part with her till I land that 5 ouncer and buy a 7000 :lol: :playful:

I wonder how much cheaper the 7000 would be without all the gps bells and whistles where on it.
I was surprised to see it didn't have more than just the one custom setting available on it.
What would be a flashy option to have is a good quality 2" pointer connected via spiral cord, a switch between coils. :cool:

mudgee hunter said:
I wonder how much cheaper the 7000 would be without all the gps bells and whistles where on it.
I was surprised to see it didn't have more than just the one custom setting available on it.

Once it's designed and built electronically, taking a step back to "de-rate" it's options would be possible through software though I can't see that ever happening. With the 7000 you are paying for the ZVT technology more than anything else.

True i guess. Not being able to even permanently save last setting is a bit odd.
Hit that quick start accidentally...

Oh,
"the principle that the buyer alone is responsible for checking the quality and suitability of goods before a purchase is made."
Had to google that one!
Well I think when the name/brand "Minelab" is attached, a benchmark standard of quality is a given and expected.
"Bang for your buck" is a personal interpretation.
Me, I think the monster has it the most.
But wouldn't say no to a 7.
Even car manufacturers drop a great features in their next new model.

ozziegold said:
Goldchaser1 said:

Hello Dave & Betina. I havent heard of a GPS fitted, could be??

But I have heard a few things about the new 6000, and have seen a photo too, it does look like a 7000.
Yet it looked like a smaller version to me. The coil looked like about 14 inches in size. There was a speaker? grille, near the rear fitted battery.

There are a few other things released about it so far, and these are:

Quote: Minelab will soon release a new GPX detector which introduces an ease of use technology. Called Geo-Sense Pulse Induction.

This sounds to me like a new automated ground tracking of Earth Field noise cancellation.

It also has Spread Spectrum, TX RX.

Spread spectrum generally makes use of a sequential noise-like signal structure, and is used to "spread" a radio signal over a wide frequency range several magnitudes higher than minimum requirement.

The core principle of spread spectrum is the use of noise-like carrier waves, and, as the name implies, bandwidths much wider than that required for simple point-to-point communication at the same data rate.

Benefits of Spread Spectrum. Resistance to Interference Effects.

There are many benefits to spread-spectrum technology. Resistance to interference is the most important advantage.

Intentional or unintentional interference are rejected, because they do not contain the spread-spectrum key.

Only the desired signal, which has the key, will be seen at the receiver
when the DE-spreading operation is exercised.

You can practically ignore the interference, narrow-band or wide-band, if it does not include the key used in the DE-spreading operation in the control box.

There has been talk of it coming out with 3 coils? An announcement date expected on the 18 / 12 / 20, and a release in early 2021.

Quote: "progressed development of our new GPX replacement gold detector, to be released in FY21;"

Cheers from ozziegold.

Hey john,hope ya going ok down there,things must be on up since the lockdowns have been relaxed.
Thanks for the info,it sounds promising,the gps im not interested in,hoping it hasnt got one actually.
I was thinking the other day you may know a little more or heard a bit on the grapevine,personally an updated design would do it for me,i think the 45 or 5 perform well as they are,the gpz mostly does the ploughing when we find an area,so maybe a bit better with interference or hopefully a bit smoother on hot ground is what i was hoping for if any improvements were made.....

I reckon the use of spread spectrum in the GPX 6000 detection capability is just rubbish.
I have used Spread Spectrum and Frequency Hopping technology in military communications for anti-detection, anti-jam etc, but do not believe it is applicable here (IMHO).
Also, who wants to pay for another GPS? I'd rather it didn't.
If it just has a few more timings and a GPS, then I'll hang onto my 4500.

Freq hopping might be handy to eliminate emi.
Like the raven hf hopper, flicked between 10,000 channels a second, so emi if on 3-5 channels wouldnt be noticeable.
So might help with that.

Guess we will have to wait and see, because we dont know anything yet!

BigWave said:
I reckon the use of spread spectrum in the GPX 6000 detection capability is just rubbish.
I have used Spread Spectrum and Frequency Hopping technology in military communications for anti-detection, anti-jam etc, but do not believe it is applicable here (IMHO).
Also, who wants to pay for another GPS? I'd rather it didn't.
If it just has a few more timings and a GPS, then I'll hang onto my 4500.

Spread Spectrum is baked in - this screen grab is from the US FCC licensing webpage (https://fccid.io/Z4C-0039):
1606346417_gps6000_sst.jpg

Given the now widespread use of GPS in phones, mapping devices, trackers, etc, I'd imagine adding the capability to a digital metal detector is a trivial cost for what would be a highly saleable feature to newbies, even if long-term detectorists see little or no value in it.

Pretty sure the spread spectrum transmitter quoted in the FCC licensing will be relating to the 2.4GHZ WIFI band of the Minelab protocol transmitter or possibly Bluetooth too? (like the Equinox).
Bluetooth uses frequency-hopping spread spectrum (FHSS) & other WIFI protocols use direct-sequence spread spectrum (DSSS) i.e. cordless phones, home wifi etc.
For other audio protocols like Minelab's own proprietary system it's likely FHSS to reduce interference.

As an example the above quoted frequency range is 78 channels (2402.0 to 2480.0MHZ).
Bluetooth is usually 79 channels I think.

FCC Rule Parts 15C
FCC said:
INTENTIONAL RADIATORS (Part 15,Subparts C through F and H)

An intentional radiator (defined inSection 15.3 (o)) is a device that intentionally generates and emits radio frequency energy by radiation or induction that may be operated without an individual license.

Examples include: wireless garage door openers, wireless microphones, RF universal remote control devices, cordless telephones, wireless alarm systems, Wi-Fi transmitters, and Bluetooth radio devices.

Latest posts