Snake Valley, Smythesdale, Happy Valley, Linton, Skipton areas information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Teemore said:
How awesome to have access to such a potential areas .....

Only thing to do, on the creek, or what was a creek is to test pan as many areas as possible to find the most "rewarding" area then put that area through your banker.

I'd be giving the old workings a going over with say an SD to start with .... then go up/down to a GPX/GM to get anything larger/smaller.

Good luck, sounds like fun to be had there.

Cheers T.

Cheers mate, yeah will definitely be running the sdc over it in the up coming month.

Does anyone know what the gold was like around snake valley?

Buck11 said:
Does anyone know what the gold was like around snake valley?

Here's a rough indication ..... use Goevic if your area is outside this range or to zoom in for greater detail.

Cheers T.

1605835906_64d364f3-9514-40d5-85a0-294d13a6941e.jpg

The areas with the dots are known historical gold workings, or try Aust Geology (trilobite), the areas within the red areas are known gold workings.

Although these show some of the historic areas they are by no means complete and many diggings can be found in other areas .... they're a 'guide' only. It also shows details of mines within the area but I've eliminated them to make it a bit easier to read/interpret.

Of course if there's a creek 'downstream' of any of these areas gold may have been washed along them away from the immediate 'diggings' area.

A friend puts together goldfields maps of various regions, think there's one that covers your area ..... look up GoldMapsOnline should get you there, there's a free version of the Ballarat goldfields so you can see what info it provides, much of the info is available from other sites but being lazy I enjoy having the info on hand from one source (and in my opinion better than the Tryhard Prospecting map sets. ( It will set you back $30 annually, for me a small price for the convenience).

Cheers T.

1605836733_73ffb22e-3210-4a0a-95c8-79a4a02196fa_1_201_a.jpg

Be careful at Snake Valley - two ages of alluvial gold. One is older and more as hill cappings (south from town from Memory, in the forest). The other foll'ws the modern drainage more closely, but not exactly so required shafts (and of course there was a third but minor generation in the modern drainages). Don't have a copy handy of my mapping of it all decades ago, as moving house.

1605857731_snake_valley.jpg

the dots are mostly shafts , if you have trilobite solutions on an IPad or Iphone you can click on those little dots and get info about who operated it , how deep , how much gold , type of deposit , grams per tonne etc.

most of those were shafts from 12 - 40 feet deep so i suggest you add 12 inches to your shovel or 40 feet to your boots...

seriously , where the old creek was , wait for a day when its not stinking hot , plan to spend a few days there , dig sample pits and pan the gravels at surface , 6 inches down , 2 feet down , pretty much sample all the way down until you reach your limit , then cover it over so kids , motorcyclists and kangaroos dont fall into it.

While you are down the hole you might want to put a safety barrier around the hole so kids , motorcyclists and kangaroos dont fall on your head too.

you might find layers worth hauling out in buckets , but be aware that ground can cave in on your head , remember that you never use a petrol engine above ground if you are down a hole because the fumes will fill the hole then you will fall asleep and never wake up which means you will have to have a few days off work.

You might find layers of "heavies" which are not maoris wearing dark glasses , they are ironstone or other rocks which have a higher density than quartz and sandstone or shale and when floods came through there 72,321,157 million years ago ( yes that timeframe is accurate - i checked my diary ) , the heavies would settle out first and the gold would say "hey , i like these guys i will hang out with them for a few million years and party like its 72,321,157 BC.

You will find layers of sand and layers of larger rocks , if you pan those layers of larger rocks you might find little bits of gold with a party whistle in their hand.

Have fun.

Have a dig.

CreviceSucker said:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1804/1605857731_snake_valley.jpg

the dots are mostly shafts , if you have trilobite solutions on an IPad or Iphone you can click on those little dots and get info about who operated it , how deep , how much gold , type of deposit , grams per tonne etc.

most of those were shafts from 12 - 40 feet deep so i suggest you add 12 inches to your shovel or 40 feet to your boots...

seriously , where the old creek was , wait for a day when its not stinking hot , plan to spend a few days there , dig sample pits and pan the gravels at surface , 6 inches down , 2 feet down , pretty much sample all the way down until you reach your limit , then cover it over so kids , motorcyclists and kangaroos dont fall into it.

While you are down the hole you might want to put a safety barrier around the hole so kids , motorcyclists and kangaroos dont fall on your head too.

you might find layers worth hauling out in buckets , but be aware that ground can cave in on your head , remember that you never use a petrol engine above ground if you are down a hole because the fumes will fill the hole then you will fall asleep and never wake up which means you will have to have a few days off work.

You might find layers of "heavies" which are not maoris wearing dark glasses , they are ironstone or other rocks which have a higher density than quartz and sandstone or shale and when floods came through there 72,321,157 million years ago ( yes that timeframe is accurate - i checked my diary ) , the heavies would settle out first and the gold would say "hey , i like these guys i will hang out with them for a few million years and party like its 72,321,157 BC.

You will find layers of sand and layers of larger rocks , if you pan those layers of larger rocks you might find little bits of gold with a party whistle in their hand.

Have fun.

Have a dig.

Hahah unreal read mate! Appreciate it

Also thanks to everyone else who has been helpful ??

Latest posts