Portable Crusher and processing unit

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've always been keen to make a portable crusher. Preferably petrol or deisel driven over electric.
240v seems to have great rpm un geared over fuel, but lacks HP.
As most 240 electric motors you can almost grab and stall them by hand.
High RPM but no balls. And they don't like resistance off the start up.
I'm thinking either way a fly wheel would help once optimum rpm is gained.
I'm under the impression the most common design adopted is the perfect round cylinder in the load/smash zone?
And overloading this "zone" via oversized material / volume , will bog it down , losing (rpm/hp)
Am I correct in thinking the collection vent ( processed) material should be variable?
Ie: 5mm gate, collect, then refine to 3->mm, so on?
And rather than have 50mm material bashing around with 10mm material, thus loading power, loosing rpm/hp etc.
Having a tear drop drum in the load/work zone, that only allows material less than say 25mm of the 50mm material to enter.
I'm on track of small scale, but I theory might apply to larger scale.

G'day Jethro,
For the driven pulley thats on the crusher is a 10" cast iron V-pulley which weighs about 8kg's and I made a fly wheel out of some 40x10mm flat bar with a 16mm centre plate. After fully machining I welded in some rio mesh and filled the void with some lead I melted in. The current speed of the crusher is around 120rpm and I'm going to redo the pulleys to get rid of the 2" ones and have a go at increasing the speed to to around 250-300 rpm.

Cheers Bryan

G'day Guy's,
Had a bit of look at the jaw crusher this morning and decided rather than change the ratio best to just finish what I started and for the 2nd and 3rd reduction I'm making some belt tensioners so they should go along way to stopping the belt slippage. Found the bearing disk I made a few years ago and found a new bearing to put in and just need to machine up a shaft and fabricate the mount. This will go on the second reduction belt as it was that belt which was the main culprit a few times.

Ok The ratio's of the reductions

Engine to first pulley is 2-1/2" to 7" on the first lay shaft

Ratio 2.88:1

Second reduction is 2" to 7" so the 2" is on the first lay shaft and the 7" on the second lay shaft

Ratio 3.5:1

Third reduction is 2-1/2" to 10" where the 10" is on the crusher shaft.

Ratio 4:1

This gives me a total reduction on 10.88:1 and with a engine speed of 4000 rpm the crusher speed is just under 100 rpm under load.

Now getting rid of the 2" in the second reduction replacing it with a 3-1/2" pulley will drop the ratio to 2:1 and give the crusher output speed around 180 rpm under load.

The first reduction does need a clutch so the crusher can be disengaged and looking around there isn't much that will provide a solution so there are two ways to tackle this. Get a longer belt and make a tensioner so when released the drive is relaxed but still some travel could cause a problem. The other solution is to machine up a tapered clutch and use some leather on the taper for the drive.
The movable taper cone can be spring loaded and a handle made for the engagement/disengagement so the clutch can be tuned for maximum performance

I am moving towards the second solution as the best option as it will cut all power to the crusher making it safer to work on.

Also this morning I got out some of the hammers I got last year and silly me only brought home 11 of them, mainly as I hadn't really found a use for them. In a few weeks the brick crusher will be back in for it's yearly overhaul and I am the one who removes all the hammers I'll grab enough so I have some spares.

So going 5 hammers wide and there will be 4 rows of 5 hammers on the shaft 20 will be needed I reckon a 350-400mm diameter about 250mm wide will be the size of the hammer shaft. The main drive shaft will be 50mm of 4140 steel and 50mm ID plumber blocks will be used as the bearings. For the housing I'll talk with one of our suppliers at work to roll some 20mm bisalloy 500 to a 400mm internal diameter and get another supplier to laser cut some 0.8mm slots in the lower section.

So the thoughts for this hammer mill has started today and comments/advice will be great as I do reckon I have found the right forum to bounce so of my idea's around. The whole concept of this idea is to come up with a solution for a 250mm wide 400mm diameter hammer mill that can come with replacement parts so the hammer mill can have a long productive life crushing that ore on the second pass and giving us that gold we are looking for.

But one does need to be made first and road tested to iron out any bug's and the true cost of them can be established which should make for a robust hammer mill.

For the final pass a slucier r can get upto 80-90% of the gold recovered and I found out one can rolls of scot brite of different widths so I do think with some 3mm rubber backing this sliuce design could be the one that one can make themselves as I put the design out there for you guy's.

I am locked down until late next week and I've been told it could be 2 weeks so I have to rely on the materials I have here so time for some fun

Cheers Bryan

Hey Bryan, Can you put up some pics of your Jaw Crusher as I have to do some mods to mine.
The plan for your Hammer mill seems good although Im not sure you can cold roll 20mm thick Bisalloy, Why not build an octagonal drum out of 10mm Bisalloy flat plates. Also in my Mill I offset the shaft/ Hammer assembly to run closer to the bottom of the drum so that it reduces the dead zone to nearly nothing. If I was building another one Id also incorporate a large removable bottom cover so that the mill can be easily washed out between runs of different stone. Just my oservations after having run one for a while.

G'day Guy's,
Well got and made the first belt tensioner today and it's got 60mm of travel so plenty of movement which should help in transmitting full power, tomorrow I'll design up and make another one for the final drive and then start thinking about the drive pulley setup on the motor shaft. Now I don't think a dog clutch would be suitable for a V-belt drive as the V-pulley needs to stay in line at all times so for this one I may just have spend time drawing it up as thought alone will be too much a head**** (insert swear word there).

After finishing work for the day the battery was still charging for my cordless drill and a thought came around :playful: eh I need to get rocks I get from paddock to a smaller size and that 300mm length of 250mm thickwall pipe may just have to get a new role. I've also got a 400mm length of 50x50mm square bar where 4 off choccy blocks ( those choocy blocks are used widely in industry where when heavy wear is evident just welding in a few will solve the problem). Also I have an old end cover about 500mm diameter and close to 1-1/2" thick so what I'm going to call "the pounder" is going to be the fun project to make.

As it is going be a hot day tomorra after I finish work and the yard arm gets here I will take some pic's of the jaw crusher and be aware it isn't the standard industry design and it was made from what I had laying around. So far about 3kg's of TC16 welding rods have been used and now I've got a mig a 181 Viper currently setup with 0.8mm gasless wire which will work off my inverter if I keep the volts down and the current set under 90 amps. Still get plenty of heat going as after a pad weld the job is glowing red and the trick with gasless wire is getting rid off all the flux after a pass. I've got a wire wheel setup on my 5" grinder which does a great job of cleaning the crap off.

I do need to revisit the toggle arrangement I made as it doesn't have a spring to relax the movable jaw when needed.The toggle is 20mm plate and I have 2 off M16 bolts with the end of the threads turned down which go into holes in the toggle. So the jaw crusher needs to be taken apart and put back in my bridgeport mill to do the job.

First thing this morning I made sure no metal was around and put my detector on a batch I had panned out and also a few other batches I had there and all of them made the detector go off on the the fourth symbol. After panning again I reckon I go a few gold spec's which I washed into the 1 litre beaker I use for the final product, when put in the sun there are sure signs of gold there but no where near enough to process.

Went out to my back dam at lunch time to get a few more rocks and the black snakes are out and about as when I walked upto the dam a black snake reared up and saw it was me so just sauntered off back into the reeds. Snakes are a part of life here on the farm and up at my shed lives a huge eastern brown snake so I have cut a hole so it can get in to get the mice and leave quickly when I go into the shed.

This project of setting up a small processing plant for me is all good fun and when a process needs more thought a dram or two of my aging moonshine gets me going nicely on my train of thought.

Cheers Bryan

Well guy's work has become real busy and until xmas I will only be getting a day or 2 off due to the 13 day straight rule so not much is going to get done as I want to get my 1-1/2" pot still finished and start on making the bubbler. Also got a apple cider ferment to bottle and clear the farm of plant growth for the bushfire season but on the 22nd of next month got a holiday so I will have time to get some work done. Also I will get plenty of hammers from this brick crusher so will be busy drilling and boring 30mm holes in all of them for the shaft to go thru them and yes it will be fun machining bisalloy 500 again :) NOT :lol:

Now I did ask our supplier if they could roll 20mm bisalloy and the answer came back we like our tooling so forget it....... So I asked well can you brake press it and the same answer came back but saying our brake press is only 150 ton and one would need a 250 ton + brake press to do it. So yea looks like I will be making it by using flat plate. Also I hope to get the scraps of all that duo plate we are cutting up next week as I have found in the past those 1mm cutting disks will cut it but it is a slow process.

Cheers Bryan

Latest posts