Blue Hill Quarry, Vulcan State Forest Oberon NSW

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You don't actually fossick in the quarry but in the bush behind it. Plenty of previous threads on the area and if I recall one even has a map showing where to park your car. Dig area is between there and the quarry itself. Same as sapphire bend, there are previous threads with maps and such or just go to Oberon tourist information and they will give you one. Good luck!

Hi All

Going out to Blue Hills next week and was wondering if anyone has been out there lately. The boss gave me a leave pass for the day so making the most of it. I know there is one trench in the pine trees that follows the quarts vein from the right hand side of the quarry but was wondering why there arn't other trenches following the other 2 or 3 veins into the pine trees. Or has this already been done in the past and they have been filled in already.

Yours Prospecting :beer:

Last time i was out there in the 1970's it was all active claims with locked gates and some had guard dogs kennelled at the gates.

What's it like now? :(

Evie/Bee

The quarry is open, no gates or signs, not much left of the quarry face anymore but still a nice place to go.

DrDuck

Yes I've been through most of the threads but it still doesn't explain what I was after. Anyway one day when I have a bit of time I might try and cross trench and see if I can pick up the vein. But I might need a few helpers with me when I do.

Yours Prospecting :beer: :beer: :beer:

Conan

Went to the Hill yesterday, very hot in sun but not too bad in the trees. The blow flies where the size of ping pong balls and very noisey. Sounded like some logging happening nearby. Found a few :D :D :D :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:
1606442439_127829548_750881342443832_6399457134301988101_n.jpg

Nice find mate. I found a pretty good specimen during my visit there about twelve months ago, had about adozen light smokey points on it. Unfortunately one of the kids decided their pickaxe belonged in the same bucket as our finds. Oh well. :lol:

What a ripper of a stone. How were the flys in the heat. They can be somewhat large and annoying.

Hi

Went out to Blue Hills last week, the pond of water in the quarry is quite large but everywhere else is dry. There are logging no entry signs on the dirt track going in so not sure how long this is going to go on for. Also the road in from Sydney is blocked at Hampton due to rockslides, there is a dirt track that goes through the forest behind Hampton that comes out at the rest area near the corner of Duckmaloi road and Jenolan caves road. The road is rough but 2wd can travel on it. Just be prepared for a bone jarring ride.

Not much to report on finds, just small smokey chips, most of the veins that you can get access to stop at hard rock making digging difficult (almost impossible).

Good to know road is blocked. Odd thing is I cannot find any info on current logging closures for the forests. Used to be able to find that info easily.

I did the same and looked on the forestry site and nothing. I've e-mailed the information centre, so just waiting on a reply.

Hi All

This Covid lockdown is the pits. Hopefully us Sydney siders get let out soon as its becoming more than a joke. I was out at Blue Hill Quarry 5 months ago and there were logging signs to the entrance of the quarry. Just wondering if the logging has been completed if anyone knows. Itching to get back out.

First time I've heard of blue hill, and now after a quick google I'm keen as to get out there!!
To answer your question though I can almost guarantee it's a boggy mess. I went for a drive through Vulcan sf while I was there on Tuesday arvo and everything was soaked and full of water. The small quarry just north of black Springs is a slippery mess, so blue hill will definitely be the same.

BUT as with sapphire bend, if you're game to get in there the digging will never be any easier than it is right now (meaning the clay is soaked so is very easy to dig through)
Hey Dan, I'm interested in
Hey Dan, Have you ever had any luck at the quarry north of Black Springs? Sapph's?

Hey Dan, I'm interested in

Hey Dan, Have you ever had any luck at the quarry north of Black Springs? Sapph's?
Hey mate never made it to Blue Hill the time I did try to get in there were roadworks happening and I couldnt get there, then I heard somewhere it was closed to fossicking now (not sure of the accuracy of that though)

Latest posts