A Few Of Guessologists Finds

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got the ID covered, it's a common one unfortunately...
1595235198_img_20200720_185159.jpg

Great token. It's in pretty good nick.

Given the spread of years in the finds (even given the token may not be as old as the minted age), i would say you are in for a real good time there.

Congrats. I look forward to more of the finds.

Disaster strikes, my cheap eBay pinpointer finally stopped working after some erratic behaviour. It still did it's normal vibrate on power on but stopped responding to metal. Taking it apart, it looks like an easy fix:

1596002512_img_20200729_155907.jpg

The wires going to the detecting coil were sandwiched between it and the sharp edge of the PCB, and have finally been severed. Should be a 2 minute soldering job to sort out when I get a moment. I'll rip off the piezo beeper while I'm in there, vibrate only mode would be perfect.

It's been such a grim past few months that I had no idea there was a 3.0 update out for the Equinox, anyway I thought to give it a burl over the last couple of days despite my regular sites really not giving up the goods in the limited time I've been out in the last few weeks. My feel for the comments around the update is that it doesn't bring much to the table, but my limited experience so far would challenge that. Given that "stability improvements" are meant to be a part of it, I changed up my settings from the usual Field 1 / F2-1 with all-metal on to Park 1, F2-1 with all-metal off with the idea that the ID's should be more repeatable on good targets now and it's been slamming it in one of my reasonably well searched regular areas:

George VI 1936 Coronation medallion, Disston saw medallion (inter-war?), "Joe Taylor Melbourne" button (~1910s).
1601934284_capture.jpg

My only other significant finds for the last couple of months (pre 3.0):
Rising Sun badge, and an almost complete pocket watch, popped the back cover off to reveal that it's an Ansonia Watch Co. cheapie from probably about 1910's (movement has a 1888 patent date on it though)
1601934795_capture2.jpg

Also the pinpointer from the above post is doing well after surgery, it's been soldered back together and I debarked it at the same time while the iron was hot. It's slightly less sensitive at the very tip now, not quite sure what's going on there as the sides are still really good but I'll probably persevere with it until I can justify something better.

Another successful hour at an old site with new settings, with a 1921 half penny and my first ever complete ring! It even fits me...

1602065952_capture.jpg

At a whopping 1.16g of silver and fairly crude construction, I suspect it's been made from a threepence. It made a pretty odd sound too, I think it rang up at a relatively low 16-17 but the pinpoint mode made a high tone that's more in line with the sound it makes when the target is an aluminium bottle cap. Given it's homemade nature I kind of feel obligated to wear it for a while now, owe it to the person who put the effort into making it...

I wish, just copper but covered in a light gray clay. Speaking of the silver, there's possibly some initials on the inside of the ring I found but the characters are vague if there at all:

1602233270_capture.jpg

The wavy bit at the end there is actually more like a crease in the silver rather than a mark.

Had a good morning snuffling about in an area that I've overlooked for a long time. A jumpy high signal that I figured was going to be a trash aluminium squeezy tube of some sort turned out to be a florin on edge. A reswing of the area revealed another high tone, so I got the video out:

[video=480,360]https://youtu.be/UOP5lZbivcU[/video]

That's my first ever rams head shilling, about time!

1604015401_florin.jpg

A swing back at the Olds' proved worthwhile, the paddock next to the Federation era house had been planted up with oats over COVID and was back to stubble. Turned up an 1913 half penny, and an 1889 penny which is the oldest I'm likely to pull there ever. The buttons are labelled "The Climax" and "Ne Pas Ultra".

1605080051_img_20201111_1436572.jpg

An hour working the narrow space between an old stamper battery and a creek turned up a couple of nice finds amongst the trash - was definitely on snake watch the whole time though...

1865 penny, 1916 half penny (checked it, not the good one) and a Paris-style buckle "British Make"
1605571095_capture.jpg

The things you find... After an unsuccessful half hour working the bush near a fence line, I was walking back to the vehicle and just held the detector coil over the graded material at the edge of the track as I walked. This was the only target that I got. This signal sounded like a shotgun cartridge end but I was ready to dig anything at this point, and honestly looked like the part of an oil burner that the wick passes through when it was caked in dirt. Turns out it wasn't...

1606429315_capture.jpg

This particular centerpiece isn't in the buckle book yet but it's got plenty of 1862 Exhibition friends in there...

..and that is why you dig everything on older relic sites, could have easily been ignored as a junk target -an interesting find!

The last "junk" that I nearly left in the ground (usually roofing tin), turned out to be a powder flask. :Y:

Got a little time on a new permission property, just a quick first pass with the detector tuned down to about 15 and F2 maxed out to make the most of the time. The soil is pretty heavily disturbed over the whole area, and I don't really know the history so not quite sure where to hone in on yet outside of the bigger trees. Still, managed two pennies, 1920 and 1942, and a silver brooch with the name Ivy engraved on it. The maker's mark on the back reads D.H. McDougall, an Adelaide jeweller active around 1910's to 1950's.

1606471299_capture.jpg

1606471361_capture2.jpg

I'm out of fine steel wool so the coins are still pretty grotty...

Latest posts