A new QED model is on the way

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The accompanying software update sounds pretty awesome too. Actual working agb, wider gb range, a modes/delay change, gain improvements, and MAYBEE gb tracking. I'll be keen to get that done on the pl3 :Y:

Deepseeker said:
I like that telescoping feature with the large battery pack :Y:
I'd be going the large battery pack for some balance if wanting to use anything bigger than 12" coils plus it'd last a long weekends detecting with the QED.
Pretty sure they're the same telescopic shafts I modified for use with a GP3500 about 5 years or so ago? Was good with smaller coils but if using anything bigger than a 12" coil I don't think you'd be swapping your Sandy Shaft for one. I actually preferred the Minelab shaft over it once I put on my DD's or 14" NF mono, which wasn't that heavy, so that says something.
The shaft segments have no locking tabs, which does allow greater length adjustment, but it felt a bit "wonky" to me with bigger coils on.
Also when packing up it didn't really save much time or space, if any. Still gotta unwind & remove the coil/cable + no lower shaft to leave attached to coils for quick changeovers. Just as easy to do that & remove the lower shaft for pack up?
Hopefully they keep the other shaft options open too?

Funny how QED are making it collapsible (like the SDC) but a lot of SDC owners would give away that ability for a lighter weight version in a traditional detector format. :playful: We're a weird mob us detectorists.

Some of the other things are a bit like going back to the future?
My original QED had all the electronics in the box on the handle & it was split (control box under cuff & interface module on handle) on one of the upgrades later on (as a PL2 option).
I believe the modes are returning to mode 1 starting at 7us again due to the improved ground balance making it more usable? That's about where it started originally but rarely usable from reports prior to GB upgrade?
When the AGB upgrade was announced I sent mine back anticipating that it would be a good improvement. I was underwhelmed & still preferred MGB. Hopefully they do sort it out in this upgrade - I don't think GB tracking could be viable if AGB doesn't work effectively?

Good to see ongoing upgrades/improvements still happening. :Y:

Has anyone seen any further details about the pl4 or the accompanying software update? I dont use facebook, but am wondering if any mention on their page recently.

I am still waiting for a production model PL4 to test, so cannot enlighten on actual performance. Like mbasko I do not put any importance on a 3 piece stem setup, although many people have stated that it would be handy to fold up for transporting. He makes a great point about the SDC and how it could benefit from being ergonomic and balanced. I saw an SDC that had been 'cut up' and made into a more usable machine, which actually looked like a slightly smaller GPX. Usable.
As soon as I get to put the PL4 through its paces I shall give an honest assessment.

Thanks reg. Will look forward to hearing your assesment on both the new machine and the new software (especially new gb, and gb tracking). I probably wont update to pl4 hardware as i feel i have the best version for me in the whites straight handle model. It feels perfectly balanced to me with all coils excepting the 20 inch nf. Also my sttaight handle is limited edition now. No more of them being made i guess as no more parts from whites. I can see how the more compact new version will appeal to many though. Will make it easier for the hikers, and pushbike/ebike riding prospectors.

Will a "lite" version of the pl4 be available to tempt people that already have a pl3 and happy, but might have interest in buying the pl4 bare bones minus coil to lower the price? I reckon it might tempt a lot of extra sales from pl3 users who might "expand" their current set of tools to have more options when required such as a friend tagging along randomly

It is still in the planning stage, but I hope to be able to put my version of the PL4 on the market as soon as the electronics become available. This will be a light weight, carbon fibre 2 section stem with ML SD style handle, incorporating WiFi, noise cancelling headphones, and a choice of X coils. It will also be available in a stripped version for those who only require the basics.

Mod edit:
Please note Reg Wilson is no longer a QED dealer

Last edited by a moderator:
The PL4 is now available. There is no software change from the Pl3, the changes being physical only.
The PL4 has a three piece carbon fibre telescoping stem, choice of rigid or fold down handle, and a choice of three different power supplies. Four 18650 batteries, eight 18650 batteries, or a power pack (as used for mobile phone backup)
With the fold down handle and a fold up stand the PL4 can be shortened to fit in a back pack if required.
The new QED is being rolled out as fast as assembly allows as these detectors are all hand built.

Mod edit:
Please note Reg Wilson is no longer a QED dealer

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry Dave, but because the PL4 is a three piece shaft, like the Detech shaft, it would not be feasible. The electronics are in the control box mounted atop the fold down handle, which mounts onto 25mm shaft, unlike the PL3 which is 22mm. Every thing is different, so a PL4 update is not possible.

If your PL3 is the S handle version there are ways of modifying it to improve the feel and usability.

I noticed on the pl4 control box there is printed setting 10 -trackng. I dont think it is available yet as gb tracking wasnt included in the latest update. It must be pretty close to releasable if the control box caters for it though i assume

Can only keep the fingers crossed it happens i guess. I assume having tracking written on the control box will mean its a reasonably high priority feature to implement.. as i said, will keep the fingers crossed and hope it happens eventually :)

hippyhunter said:
Can only keep the fingers crossed it happens i guess. I assume having tracking written on the control box will mean its a reasonably high priority feature to implement.. as i said, will keep the fingers crossed and hope it happens eventually :)
Currently being worked on now HH. By mid winter fingers crossed.

Sounds good maple leaf. Still have to send mine in for the current update soon too. Might be doing two updates in 6 months with any luck :)

As a pl3 owner I've found the recent stoush b/W various so called experts rather disturbing. I've not found gold with mine but I suspect it really is because I've not gone over gold. But I hate this confidence-destruction going on.

The QED I'm sure is not as good as a Zed or a 6000, or even like a 4800 with a good coil. But it's gotta be pretty good. Mine can get lead at a variety of depths. Not 50cm lead tho, I discovered...

The entire community is toxic the way they talk about machines. It's rubbish. It's like the cageyness on locations. It understandable, but clearly destructive to building a community.

Someone told me a long time ago "this is a dirty business full of liars thieves and scoundrels and that's the good ones"

BTW if your machine finds lead it WILL find gold.

Latest posts