2020 finds for pulsetrain

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sunday morning had a very calm wind, so I thought I'd try my luck for the 2.30am low tide.

Lots of faint targets but deep and hard to get out. Fourteen targets in the sifter representing about 90 minutes of digging.

Two sixpences, two silver rings and a 1c coin.
1604915124_finds.jpg

Was in with a good chance for gold, until the scoop felt a bit loose and wobbly.

Guessing it's due to a stress fracture as I didn't feel any pop or jolt in the scoop.

Anyway, that makes it the 4th scoop damaged in that very same spot over the years.

Today I sent a query to the local TAFE to see when they are running the next course in TIG welding.
I would like to have a go at designing and fabricating my own gear.

Some of the damage (don't have a pic of the first scoop).

Broke handle and scoop at the same time.
1604914402_ds1.jpg

Peeled like a banana
1604914432_stavr.jpg

Another broken weld
1604914526_ds2.jpg

Sardine can
1604914557_sito.jpg

Took my favourite scoop down to the local exhaust place for a quick fix.
Now I can go detecting again :)
1604914657_ds2fixed.jpg

Hey pt,

A couple of silver rings is better than nothing. Looks like you are on a good spot with the older coins.

I had a catastrophic scoop failure last week too. Mine broke at the handle. I've started using a fibreglass handle from a shovel. I buy them at Bunnings for less than $20, so they are not too expensive. This was my repair job - the first one lasted about 9 months. Thankfully, I haven't had to re-weld any of my scoops yet.
1604961862_pxl_20201109_223732880.jpg

Clodmaster said:
I had a catastrophic scoop failure last week too. Mine broke at the handle. I've started using a fibreglass handle from a shovel. I buy them at Bunnings for less than $20, so they are not too expensive. This was my repair job - the first one lasted about 9 months. Thankfully, I haven't had to re-weld any of my scoops yet.
https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...s/15772/1604961862_pxl_20201109_223732880.jpg

$20 for 9 months is a pretty good run Clodmaster. You could always have a spare one on hand as a backup for that price.

I also use a shovel handle from Bunnings.

Trojan PowerStep handle from a trenching shovel, costs $42. It is fibreglass with a steel core and also has a steel collar around the outside. They promote it saying you can use your fully bodyweight on the handle.

I've never broken one yet and find that scoop welds will snap before the handle breaks.

I just grind off the shovel part and insert the collar straight into the scoop. It fits snugly into a SITO scoop and it shouldn't need any shims to keep it tight.

Quality drill bits and lubricant are recommended as the metal is pretty hard to drill through.

Just a couple of disadvantages:

- it will eventually rust, but doesn't affect the stainless scoop.

- it is a heavy handle although this isn't necessarily a bad thing for water hunters.

This pic is from a friend's scoop

1604982354_sitohandle.jpg

Here is one on an older diamond stealth scoop. I just cut a couple of grooves on the outside so it won't pull out of the U-bolts.

1604982382_dshandle.jpg

Gave the repaired scoop an early workout this morning at the beach.
Just love this scoop, makes it easy to get deep targets out.

Picked up another pair of sunglasses, along with some predecs and bullets / sinkers.

Was able to sniff out a couple more gold rings, 9ct & 18ct.

Just scratching the surface, I think all the really good stuff is deeper than what the TDI can find.
Still having a great time and getting rid of some lockdown weight gain!

1604982706_dsfinds.jpg

1604983246_finds09102020.jpg

Latest posts