Emergency Calls Only Misconception

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"If there is no coverage available from any mobile network, you will not be able to reach the emergency call service via a mobile phone," the spokesperson said.

Isn't that obvious - that you have to have reception to make an emergency call (although it only needs to be reception for any provider apparently).

In Australia there are only three mobile network owner/operators - Telstra, Optus & Vodafone.
All the other "no name" mobile service providers lease services from one of these three networks.
Telstra/Boost currently has the best population coverage ~99.4% (not area - another misconception is that it's 99.4% of the overall land area but it's based on population); other Telstra network leasees are 98.8%; Optus 98.5% & Vodaphone 96%.
In a small number of situations in a specific area you may actually get better coverage with Optus or Vodaphone over Telstra but you really need to look at each operators coverage maps before deciding what will best suit you/your area.

I was in a first aid course where the instructor told us that by dialling 000 or 112 on a mobile you could contact emergency service from anywhere. I knew it was incorrect as our site has satellite phones for use out at our black spot areas where we lose mobile coverage. The mobile 000 or 112 numbers had previously been investigated & ACMA information is "You must be in the coverage area of oneof the mobile providers in Australia to make emergency calls."
https://www.acma.gov.au/emergency-calls

That story & the information from ACMA highlights the need for satellite phones, PLB's etc. in remote areas!

mbasko said:
Telstra/Boost currently has the best population coverage ~99.4% (not area - another misconception is that it's 99.4% of the overall land area but it's based on population); other Telstra network leasees are 98.8%; Optus 98.5% & Vodaphone 96%.

Thanks mbasko, I never knew that. I had always assumed that it was land area they were talking about. That makes a big difference! Not only are there Weasel words, but now there are Weasel numbers! :(

It is actually fairly understandable given the area of the country and the fact that we are one of the most sparsely-populated countries in the world. And they have been increasing coverage over time. Pity they charge like wounded bulls though.

I drove from the Wyoming border through eastern Nevada, southern Utah, across Arizona from the northeast (Indian lands) to the southeast, into New Mexico and south along the Rio Grande of the Texas-Mexico border then east to eastern Texas. I rarely had reception more than a short distance outside the (few) population centers. It made me appreciate what we take for granted....

Latest posts