Geode & Quartz formations Victoria

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I live in Melton, Victoria and have just started using geovic to find mineral deposit locations around the area and further out west. Does anyone have a better idea or information on how to access such locations and history. I'm looking for Quartz Crystal and geodes but anything else like be good to know also?. Thanks for the help
:( :(

Lots of good quartz crystals in the Strathbogie Ranges, nothing much closer to you that I know of (I have seen single well-terminated black quartz crystals to tens of cm in diameter). Coastal agates to the south, small agates in places like the Dandenong Ranges.

Well now that the ring of steel is lifted I can go to such places. But has anyone heard of or know of what Kooyoora State park is like for fossicking?

RetroMetropolis said:
Well now that the ring of steel is lifted I can go to such places. But has anyone heard of or know of what Kooyoora State park is like for fossicking?
There is molybdenite all over the place in the granite on the hilltop (mostly in fine-grained white aplite dykes cutting through the granite). At one time it was explored - hundreds of millions of tonnes but grade too low. Also some large quartz crystals (e.g.White Swan pegmatite mine). No gold. But it is a State Park.

https://www.mindat.org/loc-221060.html

Prospecting is largely limited to the White Swan site - it is a park.

file:///C:/Users/General%20Laptop/Downloads/kooyoora-state-park-prospecting-areas-map%20(1).pdf

https://weekendgeology.com/2018/10/02/kooyoora-state-park/

Worth a visit.

goldierocks said:
RetroMetropolis said:
There is molybdenite all over the place in the granite on the hilltop (mostly in fine-grained white aplite dykes cutting through the granite). At one time it was explored - hundreds of millions of tonnes but grade too low. Also some large quartz crystals (e.g.White Swan pegmatite mine). No gold. But it is a State Park.

Prospecting is largely limited to the White Swan site - it is a park.

Worth a visit.

Would it be wise to take a black light to find the supposed opal there in the swan mine. Cos I'm just taking a pointy and flat head geology hammers.

Latest posts