You are not logged in.

• Register to access all forum features  

CreviceSucker
24 October 2020 12:23 pm

There is an online auction currently of "Fossils"

How strange is it that a fossil hunter lucked on the site where dinosaur's went to drop off their jawbones as opposed to the random fossil site ?

If these are fake , and think they must be as fake as a 9 legged dog , then how are they punching out the identical looking "random fossils" ?

Does bunnings stock a DIY fossil kit these days ?

https://www.lloydsonline.com.au/Auction … n=1&pgs=15

1603502436_fossil_really.jpg

Last edited by CreviceSucker (24 October 2020 12:24 pm)

yella fella
24 October 2020 01:36 pm

Seems pretty sus mate, Id say your onto something thumbsup

Runnin' Down A Dream

CreviceSucker
24 October 2020 02:02 pm

If Syndyne is around he is the expert on Fossils.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com.au … hp?id=1973

goldierocks
24 October 2020 02:59 pm

Can't be sure, but mosasaur teeth are a dime a dozen (well $10 for 3) from that Moroccan locality, without jawbone.

1603512267_mosasaur_teeth.jpg

I don't think they have good understanding of fossils or minerals, but most if not all things on their site are probably genuine (if in many cases poor quality and expensive), I see no intention to deceive. There is no mineral mookaite but it is flogged as such by producers (sort of silicified radiolarite or "chert"), and that piece is attractive. Their cave bear they call Usus speciaus (it is Ursus spelaeus), as in the Great Bear constellation, Ursa Major or Big Dipper, and speleology the study of caves. Not a mistake I would expect a seller of fossils to make. I have not seen such completely colourless tourmaline before (but that may just be me). Aragonite is orthorhombic not hexagonal, but I imagine they mean pseudo-hexagonal. So I think the main risk might be if you were sold something fake or incorrectly identified because they did not realise it was - but I did not see anything I would pick as fake, and would probably buy from them if they had something nice that I wanted. The DRC malachite is a pretty piece but seems a little expensive.

Last edited by goldierocks (24 October 2020 03:06 pm)

Robert Benchley...
I have kleptomania, but when it gets bad, I take something for it.

2 users like this post: CreviceSucker, Danny13

Jaros
24 October 2020 03:08 pm

Thanks for your knowledgeable info. Robert.

F1A4M2, Exterra 705 Gold, Ace 250, Goldrat 8" Dreammat River Sluice.

Syndyne
07 November 2020 09:52 am

The Mosasaur Jaw plates definitely look a tad fishy -sorry for the unintended pun. lol

I've seen fossil casts done in a similar vein, but nothing as cleanly consistent as that as far as real fossil specimens go, only the teeth (as goldierocks posted) or a nice jawbone structure here and there.

I'd avoid them at all costs anyhow and only buy from a reputable source. thumbsup

Nice catch CS!

Cheers,
Shauno.

Opal Miner & Gold Detecting Addict. GPZ7000, GPX5000, SDC2300.

1 user likes this post: Jaros

goldierocks
07 November 2020 10:26 am

Syndyne wrote:

The Mosasaur Jaw plates definitely look a tad fishy -sorry for the unintended pun. lol

I've seen fossil casts done in a similar vein, but nothing as cleanly consistent as that as far as real fossil specimens go, only the teeth (as goldierocks posted) or a nice jawbone structure here and there.

I'd avoid them at all costs anyhow and only buy from a reputable source. thumbsup

Nice catch CS!

Cheers,
Shauno.

I agree - and so do others....
https://www.fossilera.com/blog/buyer-be … aurus-jaws

Robert Benchley...
I have kleptomania, but when it gets bad, I take something for it.

Contact Us - Privacy Policy - Terms Of Service

View Desktop Site