Detecting alluvial paystreaks

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Edi

Reaction score
The paystreaks in my local river are rare and whilst not rich, sluicing them temporarily feeds my gold addiction. And occasionally I find a beauty. I do heaps of sampling and find the deposits in unlikely parts of the stream, I suspect that the local river has been hammered since it's been nearly 30 years since the last big flood. Before then I recon tens of thousands have hit it so getting too far up the bank seems unwise. Having done heaps of crevicing and having found only one absolute blinder I suspect again it's been flogged and a bit of a waist of time until the next serious flood event. Most of the gold I've found is in an obvious flood layer close to the surface sometimes associated with charcoal from a fire just prior to the last flood. I'm considering purchasing a detector to cover more ground seeking paystreaks. The way i see it
Pros: cover more ground, find more human heavies eg sinkers, the flood gold layer is often in first few inches
Cons: more shit to carry, the gold here is so fine I wonder if I won't just walk over it when I would have found it with a pan.

So what do you think? Will it help? I'm in alpine streams in Victoria

Obvious machines like GB2, sdc, gold monster, gold kruzer being considered. Waterproof may help expand likely coverable areas. Ground not really heavy mineralised. Maybe a vlf would do the job. The sdc I've heard is difficult to damage whilst folded into a backpack and that could be handy as I do dumb shit getting through blackberries and into georges and stuff, fall down a lot. Any thoughts? Thanks for reading... Lots

Latest posts