Minelab Gold Monster 1000

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awesome info,I have just started with the gold monster.
I had watched a few videos on YouTube.
Have been out a few times ,but think of it now I may have missed a few targets because I was always looking for that non ferrous indicator. :(
Had dug few targets that said non ferrous but ended being junk that was a little deeper 8.(
More practice need I think

Dig everything for the first few outings until you start getting familiar with the subtle differences in sounds between target size and depth, also hot rocks and hot ground can sound like targets until you gain the experience to tell the difference.
Headphones really help pick the subtle differences in target sounds and don't be fooled by the screen indicator, learn to trust your ears.

Keep at it and the good targets will speak to you :Y:

Yep, waiting for this ring of steel around Melbourne to be dismantled, then get out and about to practice, muck around, learn and have some fun.

Dazzler62 said:
Yep, waiting for this ring of steel around Melbourne to be dismantled, then get out and about to practice, muck around, learn and have some fun.

Your in luck with the trends :Y: the ring of Swiss Cheese that's got more holes in it than the entirety of the whole Australian sex industry will disappear next week :beer:

Hi, I am planning to get Gold Monster 1000. I want to know if getting different coils at the same time for extra depth is worth it or should I stay with the GM 10 and 05 that comes with the machine?

Put your money into decent headphones if your a headphone kinda person , the stock ones aren't comfortable.
The stock coils will be enough to see if you like the monster , the noises can drive some people bonkers but they are good gold sniffers no doubt. Just listen for the exact noise of a balloon being rubbed and you will have gold..

Vicer just use the standard coils that come with the detector it will take some time to get to be comfortable with the detector and learn the sounds regards john

Yesterday, I felt a bit frivolous, and lashed out and bought a GM1000.
Well today after the 3rd step I took, yes it was the first hole there was a little 0.06g piece of yellow. I have for many years detected, but mainly for coins and happened across a few pieces of yellow before.
Other finds, shotgun pellets, hot rocks and bits of rust and wire.
Now I have to find the settings that work the best, I've taken note on what others use and when I find a target I tried switching between the to see the differences.
I know this area has been gone over before, I have, and judging by the holes around the place so have a few others.

I bought a GM1000 and a pin pointer last week and went to Castlemaine Diggings yesterday.

I spent 5 hours around and all I can say it was so frustrating but it was expected since it's my first time.

I'm gonna order a couple of gold nugget pieces off KJC Bullion and practice with it so I can be familiar with the machine, if that's recommended?

What is the ideal place in Victoria do you recommend for a beginner to get start with? Is there a thread for it?

Thanks

VICer said:
I bought a GM1000 and a pin pointer last week and went to Castlemaine Diggings yesterday.

I spent 5 hours around and all I can say it was so frustrating but it was expected since it's my first time.

I'm gonna order a couple of gold nugget pieces off KJC Bullion and practice with it so I can be familiar with the machine, if that's recommended?

What is the ideal place in Victoria do you recommend for a beginner to get start with? Is there a thread for it?

Thanks
Hi VICer, the Gold Monster is an easy to use detector but can be frustrating until you understand how to use it to its potential.
Different people will use the GM1000 differently but my advice would be to stick with the Castlemaine diggings, use the 5" round coil, leave the pin pointer at home because the GM is more sensitive than any pinpointed, look for mullock heaps that are white pipe clay as they will be easier to detect, put the settings on manual 10 and all metal mode, use headphones.
Take your time going overy the mullock heap slowly and thoroughly as though you are painting it and need to cover every bit of the ground, hot rocks should be a broader sound and show on the left side (ferrous) along with nails and other iron trash, lead shot will flicker left and right and would sound the closest to gold along with tiny bits of foil.
Forget buying gold for test purposes as tiny lead and tiny bits of aluminium foil will do the job.

If you are in Castlemaine tomorrow or Thursday and and want a demo yell out as I'm working in the area and will be out detecting in the afternoons so happy to pop across for an hour and show you first hand some good tips :Y:

1620024785_20210503_1610181.jpg

while out with the GPZ i came across a trashy area...there was long dry grass and drying wet season leaf litter and small scrappy shrubs along with it ..
i slowed up and changes setttings to as deep as i could run , 3rd or 4th target was a deep mellow sound ..with trash each side it was lucky to get..
never could of done it with out slowing right up..
dug down at least 10inches then hit hard pack grey clay ...as all targets so far had been ..moments later was the new proud owner of a 1.47g gold nugglett (biggest in photo)
being only meters from the car i went back to pull out the Goldmonster..as this hole had amongst the grey clay ..had lots of dark red pockets..i dug out another 2 inches and ran the Monster over it .. it was lighting up everywhere..... the photo shows a total of 9.20g of detected nuggletts,,....a 20L bucket with 2.73g of small Panned gold to date and still got all the plus size to crush ..
its never far away the trusty machine....
just outlines the importance of two different platforms while out on the hunt,,
this could of easyly been just a 1.47g hole..

Whats the biggest Nugg or the smallest, fellow GM users have found using the GM 1000? send your Pics in