Parabolic Leaf Springs

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Goldchaser1 said:
Thanks RR for turning this thread into ya own little dramatised agenda,by the way some of us have real world experience travelling the outback loaded up for years,what ya posted is old news,its called load distribution,to much weight behind the axle is there main problem,not heavier springs,if ya havent got any experience with parabolic springs please sod off.....

Are you totally Blind, If you go and read rockhunter62's post directed At Me You will see that HE was the one who First Started to Turn it in to a Shite Fight by trying to make it personal, So When you two have got over you Bromance Put the Blame where it belongs.

Your Driving Skills are Not being Questioned,

And I did go to College and owned my own workshops So I am more than Qualified,

1604220320_screenshot_20201101-194445_samsung_internet.jpg

This configuration seems to be getting popular I've notice.
I just hate the lower leaf sticking out.
Scoop enough branches as it is.
Perhaps when fitted and loaded, it isn't not be so protruding.
But do like the principal of it. Comfy ride unladen. Extra capacity when loaded.
A good set up for those that load heavy now and then.

mudgee hunter said:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...reenshot_20201101-194445_samsung_internet.jpg
This configuration seems to be getting popular I've notice.
I just hate the lower leaf sticking out.
Scoop enough branches as it is.
Perhaps when fitted and loaded, it isn't not be so protruding.
But do like the principal of it. Comfy ride unladen. Extra capacity when loaded.
A good set up for those that load heavy now and then.

One Vehicle I was having troubles with I got a pair of full length Lovell over rider single springs that only started to work once the vehicle was 3 parts loaded, allowing me to keep the soft ride but made it more stable when Towing and Loaded, :Y:

For the bloke that dose the odd heavy load, that's the go.
You don't want a rough hard ride if you only load it up once a month or two.
Some table top utes/ 4x4s have constant heavy loads of tools etc.
Generally this will kill stock springs after a while.
Even brand new springs settle/squat after the first 500kms.

Coil springs have even varied over the years from having a consistent revolution per distance Xmm's.
Having varied distance between each lap of the coil.
+ tapered top or bottom, even both.

mudgee hunter said:
For the bloke that dose the odd heavy load, that's the go.
You don't want a rough hard ride if you only load it up once a month or two.
Some table top utes/ 4x4s have constant heavy loads of tools etc.
Generally this will kill stock springs after a while.
Even brand new springs settle/squat after the first 500kms.

Coil springs have even varied over the years from having a consistent revolution per distance Xmm's.
Having varied distance between each lap of the coil.
+ tapered top or bottom, even both.

Yeah very true, I have always believed that Leaf springs were better for load carrying, IE like the spring in question with their 300/500kg rating, Yet my Van/Camper etc comes with Coils and depending if it has seats or not has a load variation between 800 and 1200kgs, To me it seems nuts that a vehicle with rear Coils can carry so much weight yet the Hitch weight is very light ?

I wouldn't underestimate coils. Years ago, a lot of imported 4x4s had rear coils, that offered better travel length than leafs.
Rear independent suspension with coils arnt to be sneezed at if made correctly.
But the trend years ago was a softer ride in 4x4s of this type.
More suspension travel kept more wheel weight on the ground.

Ridge Runner said:
Goldchaser1 said:
Thanks RR for turning this thread into ya own little dramatised agenda,by the way some of us have real world experience travelling the outback loaded up for years,what ya posted is old news,its called load distribution,to much weight behind the axle is there main problem,not heavier springs,if ya havent got any experience with parabolic springs please sod off.....

Are you totally Blind, If you go and read rockhunter62's post directed At Me You will see that HE was the one who First Started to Turn it in to a Shite Fight by trying to make it personal, So When you two have got over you Bromance Put the Blame where it belongs.

Your Driving Skills are Not being Questioned,

And I did go to College and owned my own workshops So I am more than Qualified,

Its just about the correct info RR,lots of utes running around oz with 600kg constant load leafs,i get what ya saying but its not crazy fitting them,its well known the problem is mainly overloading behind that axle,the leverage affect
Agree on the chassis strength on alot of modern 4x4s,its not what it used to be sadly.
We have dual cab 79s at work,2 with parabolics and the rest have heavy normal packs,theyve been bashed around a minesite for 4-5 yrs now and there ok,thats like a torture test,as your pics above show yep its the blokes loading up them dual cabs then crossing the csr or the simpson etc that run into problems,way to much weight behind the axle,in extreme conditions.
Im a bit offended by your bromance comment but doug did send me a lovely bunch of roses on valentines day :D

PS:chasis extensions are another way to address the problem......

Isuzu/D-Max have not strayed from their commercial roots by still using larger heavier gauge Chassis pretty much like the 70 series cruisers which is why so many of them are still on the road,

Having dealt with Lovells extensively for many years I trust their products along with OME,

Mark Allen Is probably the best and most honest product reviewer in the world, Not because He's Australian but every test and every product he has carried out is done so under the same conditions in which we live, So you can take what he says to be as honest and fair, And as far as I am concerned every other product promoter is just a waste of breath,

I personally am not impressed with these spring for a couple of minor reasons, In the Video doing the Load and Trailer Tests the 300kg Lovell's compress slightly when the Trailer is hooked up and the Truck sits "sort of" level or not far from it, which is a good thing, :Y:

With the 500kg pack the you first notice that there is slightly less downward movement when the Trailer is hooked up which is fine, But due to the stiffness of the rear springs you will notice that the Front of the Troopy lifts up a bit higher ? This is a Bad thing, On wet roads or muddy tracks which will effect cornering under those conditions along with breaking on corners under any wet conditions IE on the Road or Mud, This will allow the Load to push the Vehicle in a straight line as opposed to following the bend, and that's not good because the downward pressure at the rear is unloading the weight on the front axle/wheels.

The second thing that is a worry is the total lack of spring leaves, Having had a couple of Trucks and 4x4's crack a Leaf out in the bush If the springs are wrapped properly they will stay together and cracked or not they will get you home, where as these 500kg springs only have 4 leaves and appear to be in packs of two and they are only Clamped towards the end so If one of the leaves breaks then you have lost 25% or more of your load capacity plus there is a good chance that the vehicle will be out of action on the track where the spring broke, Where as the Lovell's have about 10 Leaves +/- and if one leaf breaks then it is only going to loose somewhere around 10% of it's rating,

For piece of mind I would go with Lovell's but regardless of the Brand a 500kg spring pack when not loaded is going to have you quietly asking your self when the Mrs is not around "What the &%$@ have I done" because once they are fitted you can't keep swapping springs to suit what you are doing that day and most of these springs come at a steep price and can turn a good truck or 4x4 in to something you will put off Driving,

So good luck with what ever you choose and don't allow you and your money to become parted too easily, :Y: :Y: :beer:

Latest posts