Metal Detectors around $500

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhaseTech

Phase Technical
Site Sponsor
Reaction score
There are now quite a few really good detectors priced around the $500 mark.

(prices are recommended retail in Aus)
Minelab Vanquish 340 - $399
Nokta Makro Simplex+ $475
Minelab Vanquish 440 $499
Quest Q30 $569
Minelab Vanquish 540 $599
Nokta Makro Simplex+ WHP $629

Having a quick look on youtube, there are many comparison videos with varied content.
Here's some videos I've come across:

(has english subtitles)

This one's very very long and no subtitles, but good the hear the different audio between the units.

Vanquish 540 vs Simplex WHP -
(US prices, but a good comparison on the features)

Simplex vs Vanq 540, sensitivity to small targets

There's a tonne more, and often some good info to weed out in the comments.

As someone in the market for a detector for
Coin shooting parks: 65%
Predecimal/relic : 33%
Gold fields 2%
Are any of these suitable for finding gold in those rare times I can look or do we need to consider something more like the Anfibio / Nox800

Capability on small gold would be very close between all these units, but I've not done any real comparisons in mineralised dirt.
But yes, Anfibio and Nox800 would be the better choice as they have more frequency options and smaller coil options.

I'm sure I only payed about $650 for my nox600 brand new, price match less %10 from anaconda, when I noticed on sale from another store.

Whats your best pick for around the $500 mark for parks and beaches only, likewise for around the $1000.

For around $500 it would be a toss up between a Simplex and a Vanquish 440. 440 has multi frequency, but isn't waterproof like the Simplex.

For around $1000, I would say Equinox 600

Thanks for the advice. I was looking at the Equinox 600, currently at $799 at a couple of outlets.?

Goldpick said:
Anaconda usually has the Nox 600 at $799 club price, though the Nokta Makro Simplex pack at $629 with the wireless headphones and pinpointer is pretty damned good value.
Yep. Anaconda sometimes has some great deals. Worth subscribing with them for sales on anything outdoors. Lots I look at and think nah, but some im there in a flash. I once got an Xterra 705 gold pack for $599. Most of my fishing gear iv got from them too. Last yr got $400 worth of chairs and a table for just $180. They dont on sell your info either when you join up.

Latest posts