Metal Detector advice $500 to $1500

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think your budget gets you into the early GPX model . Maybe a 4000 with some extras .Thats just my opinion.Good luck with your search.

I'd go with a minelab mate, at least when/if you upgrade your already a bit familiar things..

BreakingDead said:
Hello everyone
Brand new to detecting but no stranger to the Bush. Spent the last 30 years camping and 4wding all over Victoria.
I'm in the market for a detector, main target is gold but also wanting to target relics with my 2 girls. (they love the idea of treasure hunting)
Areas I would frequent would be mainly the Vic High Country. Reefton, Woods Point, Jamiseon, Mansfield and surrounds.
I fugured that buying second hand would give me more bang for buck but open to new also.
Budget is $1800-$1900 max for a full setup ready to swing.
Any advice or recommendations would be appreciated. I'm located in Croydon Vic
Gold the best a PI, relics the best a VLF. No best in between. If, if and only if I had a bang stick held at my head id say a EQ800 for both, but if given the choice without the bang stick id choose one or the other. For Gold.....a PI. For relics the EQ800. Numero uno for Gold PI. Numero uno relics VLF. Clear as mud. ;)

I am a beginner too and I just started hunting a month back.. I got myself a garrett ace 300 which some of my friends recommends. Working well so far and enjoying my treasure hunting at this moment with it.

I just registered on here, and will be doing most my detectoring in Gippsland, thinking about the local soils and geology, just wanted to know best option technology wise for Eastern Victoria, pulse or VLF? Is Minelab Gold Monster 1000 a good starting option. Thanks GG

There are now quite a few really good detectors priced around the $500 mark.

(prices are recommended retail in Aus)
Minelab Vanquish 340 - $399
Nokta Makro Simplex+ $475
Minelab Vanquish 440 $499
Quest Q30 $569
Minelab Vanquish 540 $599
Nokta Makro Simplex+ WHP $629

Having a quick look on youtube, there are many comparison videos with varied content.
Here's some videos I've come across:

(has english subtitles)

This one's very very long and no subtitles, but good the hear the different audio between the units.

Vanquish 540 vs Simplex WHP -
(US prices, but a good comparison on the features)

Simplex vs Vanq 540, sensitivity to small targets

There's a tonne more, and often some good info to weed out in the comments.

nucopia said:
What are you targeting Gold or treasure ..?

I think I can work it out! :)

1625867762_mickgold.jpg

The Minelab EQ 800 is a good general purpose detector.
The Whites TDI Oz will do well in the gold fields and as a beach machine.
The SD2100, 3500, 4500 will serve you well in the gold fields and can be pushed to good effect on the beaches but not in the waves.
The New Fisher AQ Impulse is a very good beach machine, if you can get one...Good Luck.
Tesoro and Whites are finished. but plenty of detectors still available.

Latest posts