Shoalhaven find - Mercury?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mercury is a liquid silver coloured metal , when it mixes with gold it becomes amalgam . You have to get rid of the mercury to get your gold ... I won't go into that .

Here's a piccy...they're tiny
1601692970_20201003_115049.jpg

phantomnosepicker said:
Here's a piccy...they're tinyhttps://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/17975/1601692970_20201003_115049.jpg
Needs something for scale.....

Metallic lead can be scratched with a fingernail. Amalgam is harder - it will scratch calcite but can be scratched by a "gold" coin.

not sure at all...but its not lead...when I squashed one it flattened out and smeared into a streak on the bottom of the pan and wasnt in a hurry to come off..mmmmm

phantomnosepicker said:
not sure at all...but its not lead...when I squashed one it flattened out and smeared into a streak on the bottom of the pan and wasnt in a hurry to come off..mmmmm
That does not sound like the behaviour of a single grain, but of a particle made up of many fine grains.
A better photo (close-up) with something for scale would help. I'm not even sure which particles you are referring to in your photo.

Definitely lead shot . I find it at at all old timers alluvial sites . At least when you find the lead , you know your panning technique is ok , and youre digging where heavy deposit occurred !

Latest posts