Depth allowed to dig under a fossicking permit.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

20x

scott
Reaction score
Is there anyone here that can tell me maximum depth im am 'allowed' to dig under a a fossicking permit by hand please?

1/2 a meter.
But just fill your hole in nicely and restore the area
and you will be fine.
Just don't go digging a huge 10 foot deep hole. LOL

That's in NSW.
Victoria,
Mining inspectors will help you and advise on safety but,
yet again, You have to fill it in when you are finished.

I am not sure about Queensland.
Probably about the same.

I near reckon that if you used common sense and just filled your bloody holes in
restoring to the original soil profile, You will be fine.

Called respect.

Goldfreak said:
What about QLD? Sorry to jump in here but it's a good question by 20x
Ps...by hand like the old timers did...you know, those legends of kilos we read about.

I have just the place for doing that. Long way from where I am living now though but its still there sitting there waiting. Some one already tried to get at it but missed and gave up. Leaving a huge bloody hole full of beer cans :mad:

Tathradj said:
1/2 a meter.
But just fill your hole in nicely and restore the area
and you will be fine.
Just don't go digging a huge 10 foot deep hole. LOL

That's in NSW.
Victoria,
Mining inspectors will help you and advise on safety but,
yet again, You have to fill it in when you are finished.
Nsw a different story mate

Goldfreak said:
I have just the place for doing that. Long way from where I am living now though but its still there sitting there waiting. Some one already tried to get at it but missed and gave up. Leaving a huge bloody hole full of beer cans :mad:
I remember when I was a teenager meeting this sapphire miner out near ruby vale. He had a small empty dam size hole full of xxxx cans.
If he were still going today at the rate....
His dam would have 25tonne of alloy....

In QLD:
Fossicking rules and responsibilities
Permitted activities and materials

Your fossicking licence allows you to search for and collect fossicking materials using hand tools and for recreational, tourist and educational purposes only.

Permitted tools and extent of diggings

Hand tools such as picks, shovels, hammers, sieves, shakers, electronic detectors and other similar tools can be used. No machinery is permitted.

You can collect from the surface or by digging, but you are not permitted to dig below 2m of the natural ground surface of land or below 0.5m in streams. Overhangs and tunnels are not allowed.

On road reserves, no digging is permitted but collection from existing exposures is allowed.

Latest posts