cheap or free

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
240 to 110v transformer: older heavy unit. Free (you need to be able to pick it up in the Newcastle area as it is heavy)

1596091845_dscf8983_2.jpg

1596091875_dscf8981_2.jpg

Due to faulty battery charger which didn't do it's job I have inadvertently replaced my Prado battery before necessary. (I didn't want to get stuck or so I thought)

I now have a battery that is far to good to sell as scrap and I do not have any use for it that I can think of.

It's 5 years old, never been flat, only topped up with demineralised water. I got a working charger and it is still showing 12.58v a week later and the battery condition indicator is showing green.

1599711141_dscf9007_2.jpg

1599711161_dscf9010_2.jpg

Any suggestions as to a way forward will be welcome.

Thanks for the suggestions so far, however I can't see myself going bush in the near future if at all. As a fridge battery it would have been great 75 amp/hrs if I remember. correctly

Backup power at home if the network goes down. At least be able to charge phone or runs some lights. Keep topped up with a solar trickle charger

Blocker said:
Is there a market for cheap 2nd hand batteries?

Is there a market for cheap 2nd hand batteries?

to buy or sell?
is there such a thing as a cheap 12V car lead acid battery ?

To Sell ... every scrap dealer wants old SLA batteries for the lead reclaim.
Best to use it yourself somehow like solar panel battery and regulator manager in your workshop.
if you go fishing strip it down and make your own weights (search youtube for the best way or hints)

To buy ... why bother buying a old and 2nd hand battery? lead acid batteries are in chemical decline / depletion form the moment they are made.
It has to be constantly charged and discharged to keep it in some form of good shape.
If a car 12V battery falls below ~10Vdc the cells can more than likely be permanently damaged. it may not be noticeable to the user but will not hold good charge & die prematurely.
if you have to buy 2nd hand always perform an old style propper battery test using a heater element battery cooker tester to stress test it.

good luck :|

I bought a s/hand battery from the wreckers , 660 c.c.a . It had a sticker on it saying it was 1 year old . I paid $70 for it . It has been starting my MWB 4 cly. diesel for the last 12 months with no problems .

If a lead acid battery is 5 years old it is then well past it's use by date . It might be showing 12.5 volts but when it is put under load/stress I think it will fail .

I worked for a company called Leko , for 3 years , we made machines and lines for making car batteries . In Sydney .

1600216482_img_0437.jpg

I had these photos handy . Machines for making car batteries , year 1995 , Brookvale , Sydney .

Thanks everyone for the suggestions even though I thought that it would be of some use somehow, it looks like it's going to the scrap metal dealer.

Normally I would reuse lead for fishing sinkers but the boat has been sold and the sinkers I have left will last till I fall off the perch.

There was a time when you would keep things just in case sometime down the track??

Modern technology - you keep it and it becomes useless.

1603517696_dscf9024_2.jpg

If anybody saves phones I have a 2G phone they can have this one, (still powers up).

Blocker said:
There was a time when you would keep things just in case sometime down the track??

Modern technology - you keep it and it becomes useless.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/5263/1603517696_dscf9024_2.jpg

If anybody saves phones I have a 2G phone they can have this one, (still powers up).

Does 2G still work in any other countries ?

Even 3G is gone in 2024 which is annoying as i have to replace remote access routers for machine 2 machine comms and GPS trackers etc

:mad: come the revolution ...

I afraid it wouldn't matter if did work elsewhere, I am not going anywhere soon. If someone else wants to try they are more than welcome to it, otherwise it's off to the phone recyclers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts