Hi from travelling Woods band

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I've recently started travelling around Australia in our caravan with my family.

I am working part time as a project manager using work from home in our van.

We started in Brisbane where our house is and have been travelling QLD while we learn what we are doing as much exploring and learning with our kids aged 3 to 14.

After fossicking on Emerald/Sapphire I've been hit with the precious metals and gems bug. We've picked up yearly QLD licence and haven't looked back since.

We are currently in Cairns but will travel to as many gold locations as possible as we travel our great country.

Looking to learn as a newbie and would love to be able find our own nugget. The though of finding our own rather than buying is so exciting. :goldnugget:

Any tips on where we should go to start from Cairns? Any land access you could guide me on?
Any good starter activities to learn the ropes?
Any must visit areas in Australia?
When should I consider a metal detector?

G'day Skinface welcome to PA there's quite a few members in FNQ who might offer suggestions (I'm in Vic so can't help you with location) other than research the Palmer River and Forsyth Gold history, even use the search icon top left for your current and future locations.

Now is the time to grab a detector in saying that it can be overwhelming when it comes to which one. Be mindful if it's Gold you are after the best start up machine on the market is the Minelab SDC2300 for ease of luring curve the 2300 is a PI (Pulse Induction) machine that will provide you with a quite and stable threshold.

Other than that a Gold Monster 1000 but being a VLF (Very Low Frequency) machine it won't match the PI machines for stability and depth and will be noisy in most locations. If it's coins treasure and relics your after (predominantly used on beaches, parks and old dwelling/building sites) these are a different machine to gold detectors and mostly VLF detectors.

At a minimum grab a gold pan and sieve set pretty sure there's a Miners Den outlet in Cairns there may be others worth checking out too. Use the web and check it out. Best of luck when you hit the road to the Gold and Gem fields :perfect: keep us posted on how everything goes, safe travels :beer:

Also check out QLD regulations and permit requirements :Y: same for every other state you venture to on your travels.

Latest posts