DIY fossil kit

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
There is an online auction currently of "Fossils"

How strange is it that a fossil hunter lucked on the site where dinosaur's went to drop off their jawbones as opposed to the random fossil site ?

If these are fake , and think they must be as fake as a 9 legged dog , then how are they punching out the identical looking "random fossils" ?

Does bunnings stock a DIY fossil kit these days ?

https://www.lloydsonline.com.au/AuctionLots.aspx?smode=0&aid=19613&pgn=1&pgs=15

1603502436_fossil_really.jpg

Can't be sure, but mosasaur teeth are a dime a dozen (well $10 for 3) from that Moroccan locality, without jawbone.

1603512267_mosasaur_teeth.jpg

I don't think they have good understanding of fossils or minerals, but most if not all things on their site are probably genuine (if in many cases poor quality and expensive), I see no intention to deceive. There is no mineral mookaite but it is flogged as such by producers (sort of silicified radiolarite or "chert"), and that piece is attractive. Their cave bear they call Usus speciaus (it is Ursus spelaeus), as in the Great Bear constellation, Ursa Major or Big Dipper, and speleology the study of caves. Not a mistake I would expect a seller of fossils to make. I have not seen such completely colourless tourmaline before (but that may just be me). Aragonite is orthorhombic not hexagonal, but I imagine they mean pseudo-hexagonal. So I think the main risk might be if you were sold something fake or incorrectly identified because they did not realise it was - but I did not see anything I would pick as fake, and would probably buy from them if they had something nice that I wanted. The DRC malachite is a pretty piece but seems a little expensive.

The Mosasaur Jaw plates definitely look a tad fishy -sorry for the unintended pun. :lol:

I've seen fossil casts done in a similar vein, but nothing as cleanly consistent as that as far as real fossil specimens go, only the teeth (as goldierocks posted) or a nice jawbone structure here and there.

I'd avoid them at all costs anyhow and only buy from a reputable source. :Y:

Nice catch CS!

Cheers,
Shauno.

Syndyne said:
The Mosasaur Jaw plates definitely look a tad fishy -sorry for the unintended pun. :lol:

I've seen fossil casts done in a similar vein, but nothing as cleanly consistent as that as far as real fossil specimens go, only the teeth (as goldierocks posted) or a nice jawbone structure here and there.

I'd avoid them at all costs anyhow and only buy from a reputable source. :Y:

Nice catch CS!

Cheers,
Shauno.
I agree - and so do others....
https://www.fossilera.com/blog/buyer-beware-fake-mosasaurus-jaws