Losing Stuff

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I lost a scoop once on unproven ground it was dark green and daylight was pretty much gone only realised once I was back at the car and decided to leave it for another day. Returned a few months later and found it about 500 metres from where I'd parked, never found any gold but it looked to good to pass up. Next trip out I lost it for good when was at the hardware I tried finding one of those wide mouthed scoops in pink. They only had dark green so I'm waiting until I loose this one then I'll hit up Bunnings and see what I can find. I've left picks behind too but their easy to find no matter what colour they are just backtrack and eventually your ears will be blown out :lol:

sawdan said:
Everytime I go out bush I lose something!

I have lost several scoops/spoons, a glove, the SDC armrest cover and a beanie but luckily I retraced and found by my Lesche Digging Tool and walkie talkie.

Gotta learn to SLOW DOWN
always put things with other things in little groups. I used to crevice with a multitude of tools and found by making the little extra effort to always putting down one tool with anouther on the ground rather than by its self I stopped loosing stuff.

I did a cons cleanup once , about 9 grams wet , put it in a safe place in my factory so it wouldnt get stolen, then a week later I forgot where I hid it.

2 years later I hired a commercial cleaner , when she was almost finished her behaviour suddenly changed and she couldnt wait to get out of the place.

After she left I sat down and thought back , maybe I had left the gold inside one of the kitchen cupboards , sitting on top of the hot water service so the heat would dry out my wet gold.

Could I prove anything ?

I wasnt sure enough to accuse her , maybe I should have.

My memory is usually excellent but I was working 100 - 110 hours a week at the time , pity I am better at hiding stuff than I am at finding it

What is cool though, is when you unexpectedly find the lost thing. That is you aren't looking for it anymore and there it is.

The two most recent examples... Coming down a steep gradient, stopping the car to clear some crap on the track and finding the metal connector thingy I lost a couple of trips ago, laying on the side of the track. I have never stopped there before, I think I must have left it on the step of the car or something. Just weird I happened to stop there.

The other one was a compass. Gave up looking for it. A few weeks later, we were closing a farm gate and my wife found it. It must have fallen out of my pocket or something.

My father in law had a saying "If you're stupid don't advertise it" .......

That being said things going walkabout seem to be a bad habit .......

Iphone (2x), 1 was found again with damaged screen (ouch $150), Pick, scoop, reading glasses and yes even gold .... sometimes just forgotten and found again but alas most are still out there ....... some f'n where.

Cheers T.

Get a spray can of white or yellow paint . Spray your gear, hammers , picks etc. etc . Less chance of leaving them behind .

When I worked in a foundry , I sprayed a lot of my gear , spanners , shifters , hammers etc. some of them still have the paint on .

Latest posts