How to fix?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So many options ....... I've sent inquiries to: Jayco, a Caravan Service Center, Selleys and Silka.
I'll also take a closer look at the inner side for bracing, and how I might clamp it.
I still don't know what sort of plastic it is which is critical to choosing the best product. After researching different types of plastics I'm thinking it would be most likely ABS.
I've also discovered that this is a common problem with the Jayco's.

Dignit said:
So many options ....... I've sent inquiries to: Jayco, a Caravan Service Center, Selleys and Silka.
I'll also take a closer look at the inner side for bracing, and how I might clamp it.
I still don't know what sort of plastic it is which is critical to choosing the best product. After researching different types of plastics I'm thinking it would be most likely ABS.

Hope you get it all worked out soon, It's a nice setup, wouldn't mind one myself if I had a place to store it, :Y:

I agree limpalot, no use in doing one corner, may well do them all to save having to do it all again . Has Jayco said anything out this problem? If you haven't asked -why not. :)

Dignit said:

If it's common don't drill any holes in it, ask Jayco what their approach to remedy is and what have they been doing about this problem specific to the year of manufacture. Might be out of warranty but if it is a manufacturing process problem they may assist in the fix.

On closer inspection Ive found the root cause of the problem.
In short its a manufacturing defect.
On top of each corner of the walls of the body of the camper there is a right angle top plate screwed vertically down into the walls. On the corner in question the top plate is sticking out about 2mm more than it should. As the roof comes down the inner edge of the roof plastic corner cap, when the crack is pushed closed, is brushing the outer edge of the top plate. There is also insufficient room for the rubber seal to slide down the side of the corner plate. The seal has actually been pressed upward into a horizontal plane as opposed to vertical.
The 3 other corners are fine. However they are a close fit with very little tolerance. Its a precision build.

Unfortunately I bought the van second hand and it is out of Warranty. However, I may still have a case because it is an obvious manufacturing defect.
I have a few options:
1. Try and log a Warranty claim with Jayco.
2. Remove the top plate and try and push it in 2mm to create the required clearance. Im not sure how easy that will be.
3. Fill the crack and add an external brace. There is no room for an internal brace.

Thanks for everyones help.
Cheers

limpalot said:
I would be inclined to brace all corners, if room allows, and use an epoxy to strengthen the cracked corner. if room is tight use stainless steel to brace, wont take much.

I agree, that's what I said, It would be good if they made them with stainless steel corners from new not because of cracking but just to have the extra protection on all exposed corners, :Y:

Dignit said:
On closer inspection Ive found the root cause of the problem.
In short its a manufacturing defect.
On top of each corner of the walls of the body of the camper there is a right angle top plate screwed vertically down into the walls. On the corner in question the top plate is sticking out about 2mm more than it should. As the roof comes down the inner edge of the roof plastic corner cap, when the crack is pushed closed, is brushing the outer edge of the top plate. There is also insufficient room for the rubber seal to slide down the side of the corner plate. The seal has actually been pressed upward into a horizontal plane as opposed to vertical.
The 3 other corners are fine. However they are a close fit with very little tolerance. Its a precision build.

Unfortunately I bought the van second hand and it is out of Warranty. However, I may still have a case because it is an obvious manufacturing defect.
I have a few options:
1. Try and log a Warranty claim with Jayco.
2. Remove the top plate and try and push it in 2mm to create the required clearance. Im not sure how easy that will be.
3. Fill the crack and add an external brace. There is no room for an internal brace.

Thanks for everyones help.
Cheers

I have just checked my unit - a similar arrangement on the wall corners - a 90 deg plate mounted on top of each wall panel junction at the corners.

Fortunately, mine appear to be where they should be, but I do have the roof raised at the moment, so can't definitively say that there is no contact when lowered.

What does seem possible, though, is that there is sufficient meat there for you to simply grind 2mm or so off the outer apex of the plate, if that is the only point at which contact is made with the roof moulding.

The wall corner plate is the full-width of the wall panels, so a little bit missing off the outer apex of it shouldn't reduce its effectiveness.

And by the way, in all my years of caravanning, you are the first person I have ever heard accuse Jayco of "precision build" :)

Edit: Another thought - check to make sure that your roof is coming down square - if your lift tubes have been bent, as they often can be, the roof my not be landing down on the walls in the correct position, causing it to foul on one corner. I guess this should result in excessive clearance on the diagonally opposite corner as an indicator.

Just another thought, Dignit

If there is a point on the base that is applying stress to the roof (like your corner plate), there is a possible danger in simply installing bracket(s) on the corner(s) to address the problem.

If the source of stress is still present, then the brackets may simply transfer that stress to the next weakest point in the roof.

Not saying the brackets are a bad idea......just that installing them may not be the end of the matter if the stress point remains.

So here is the root cause.
The back wall panel where it fits around the side panel is slightly flared. This has caused the corner wall right angle top plate to stick out more than it should and hitting the corner roof cap.
The roof is square as all other corners are spot on.
Ill see what Jayco have to say.
1603159772_3a554fde-839c-4f60-9124-56900275033f.jpg

Ridge Runner said:
Using just a filler wont work because there is no thickness in the material being repaired and without some form of bracing it will crack again on one side of the filler or the other,

Another way to beef it up is to drill a hole at the end of the crack and grove out the crack then fill it and then Stick a Carbon fibre strip across it with a good epoxy and then tidy it up and paint it, But it does need to be braced across the crack or it just won't work.
Metal mend inside it will never break, try grinding it not fun, can use it to glue a corner brace to inside as well. Sika will more than like sort it out anyway.

My friend that works on caravans always uses this stuff

1603170662_img20201020120248_copy_1200x1600.jpg

The one on the left is better than the one on the right :D

Ive heard back from my local Jayco dealer. They said they could take a look in January, booked out until then, and possibly apply to Jayco Head Office for a goodwill repair request. Im chasing Jayco Head Office direct now, and considering whether Ill try a fix myself or wait. It really isnt a big deal.

This is my third Jayco and never had any serious problems.

Dignit said:
Ive heard back from my local Jayco dealer. They said they could take a look in January, booked out until then, and possibly apply to Jayco Head Office for a goodwill repair request. Im chasing Jayco Head Office direct now, and considering whether Ill try a fix myself or wait. It really isnt a big deal.

This is my third Jayco and never had any serious problems.

Go with the Jayco fix, Dignit.

January ain't that far away.....and by rights they should (and probably will) replace the flared top plate and the buggered corner mould......that way you'll be back to "good as new"....and that's a lot better from a resale point of view than a dubious home-brew job.

If you need to use it between now and then, just slap some duct tape over the crack to prevent water ingress.

The way things are shaping up, you might even be able to hook it up and take off real soon :)

Regards problems with Jayco....they've had their problems a few years back, but seem to have really pulled the socks up since then.

I'm happy with the 2020 Swift Outback so far.......given that we've only used it once thanks to the virus......I also have a 2017 Toyota Hiace fitted out by Jayco as a Campervan......we've used that extensively, and can't fault the fitout.

Have a look at the Jayco recalls on pages 2 - 4 here:

https://www.productsafety.gov.au/re...rporation&sort_by=search_api_relevance&page=1

Katabatic
I agree with getting Jayco to fix it.
Thanks for the Jayco recall link. Im looking through it to see if there are any recalls for my camper.
Sure hope we can get out very soon. Its looking very promising.
Thanks for your input.
Cheers

Yes, indeed it did.
Jayco Bayswater requested a goodwill warranty repair even though it was out of warranty which was approved by Jayco headquarters. All 4 corners were replaced at no charge. The new corners are a redesign with a step in it to resolve the issue.
Jayco Bayswater were brilliant! :Y:
Im a happy camper. :D

Latest posts