Petrol into a deisel! Oops!

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
No names mentioned, but it dose happen!
If you stuff up and put petrol into your deisel....
DO NOT EVEN START IT FOR ONE SECOND!
Don't even put the key into ignition to roll it away from the pump !
If your vehicle is fitted with an electric fuel pump, this will start circulating fuel from the tank up to the engine, and unused fuel will return to to the tank. Even when not running!
Contaminating the fuel lines.
Find the fuel pump fuse and remove it. Generally in the engine bay with main fuses.
After removing it, the ignition can be turned on to accessories etc, without starting the electric fuel pump if fitted.
Don't expect your tow truck driver to know of this when he jumps in and uses the key to unlock the steering wheel.
$300 TO $ 400 mistake just for a basic drain.
Don't turn it into a big buck stuff up!

It usually happens where you have multiple outlet lines from the pump position. Cost me about $800 to carefully cruise 5klm to the sales yard. Luckily no apparent damage to the Renault Traffic I had once. Service station / or supplier did not admit to filling the diesel tank with ULP. :(

Yeah, electric fuel pumps kick in the moment you turn the key to ignition point.
And start pumping, all Unused fuel is simply returned to the tank via a separate fuel line.
So they don't even give you the chance to move your vehicle with fuel left in the line!
So take that fuse out first thing!

I put about 10L of petrol into my diesel tank before I realised what I'd done.
Filled the rest of the 93L tank with Diesel, as I knew that they deliberately did this in alpine areas in cold weather (around 10%).
It was pretty cold (15C), and it ran just fine.
That was around 100,000ks back.
I won't make that mistake again though..........

Did it once with the truck :eek: put about or just under 20lt of ULP before I noticed :| drained the tank and grabbed the right pump :D It was a random fill at a servo that doesn't cater for trucks, no excuse I should have been vigilant rather than sloppy. No drama apart from loosing time, thankfully it was around 20lt and not the whole 400 :argh:

Mind you 20lt in 400 (5%) would have got her launching from the traffic lights :playful:

I did this under the advice of their complaints department-it ran like a charm after they flushed all the lines out and of course filters.It didn't like the ULP / Diesel mix-but I got it there.

Yes, another one who has been there done that, was passing through Mt Magnet.)
Was able to push the ute away from the bowser and then disconnect hose from fuel tank to filter.
Always carry spare lengths of flexible hose so was able to connect it to the fuel line and into jerry can and pump tank dry using the electric fuel pump.
Filled three jerry cans with the contaminated fuel, 20litres petrol and 40l of diesel :( . (Had two empties on board and had to buy another)
Then flicked the sub tank switch and pumped contents (70litres into the main tank)
Back to the bowser and this time selected diesel ;) and filled both tanks (170 litres)
During the rest of the journey back to Perth, every 50k or so I flicked the sub tank back on and topped up the main.
Was lucky in this instance it only cost me the price of a new jerry.
The Chevrolet 6.5l turbo diesel in the ute can handle a couple of sniffs of petrol, not like the modern diesel, so over the coming months I added 20 litres of contaminated fuel to the sub and then transferred it occasionally to the main tank.

Was very embarrassed about this stuff up but did learn later it is a very common occurrence.

yeah, be hard to make the same mistake twice i imagine!
One would be very cranky doing a top up on long range fuel tank!

A few years back I was on Tassie, stopped at a small country servo, where they still come out and fill it for you. But he was busy serving someone else, so I got the nozzle into the 4by and the lady at the console who had switched the pump on came running out, shouting STOP, STOP, that's unleaded.

However, my ride was a Tojo FJ Cruiser 4x4, with the Prado 4 lt petrol engine, so I was ok lol. All she'd seen was this great 4 wheel drive about to do the wrong thing.

Full marks for her caring enough to raise the alarm even tho' not needed.. :)

My current drive is a diesel 4x4, my first diesel vehicle, so I had to stop n think when I first got it, making sure I put the right fuel into it.

Ive done this as well. Put 10 litres of vortex premium in accidentally then topped it up with vortex diesel. Didnt let it go under 3/4 for a few months topping it up as often as possible.she ran a bit ruff for awhile but a year later the Navara is still going strong. :argh:

I had a blonde moment relapse again after 10 years..
Blocked kitchen sink P-trap.
Yep, put the dish under it when I cracked the trap apart.
Sweet, caught all the dirty water in a dish I put under it
Took it out, without spilling a drop ..
Stood up, what else do you do with a dish for full of dirty water....
Ya tip it back down the sink of course! :lol:

Yeah, I've done it too....

And still.... to this day, I check that some wuckfit hasn't swapped the nozzles around in these modern day multi fuel dispenser pumps....

BigWave said:
I put about 10L of petrol into my diesel tank before I realised what I'd done.
Filled the rest of the 93L tank with Diesel, as I knew that they deliberately did this in alpine areas in cold weather (around 10%).
It was pretty cold (15C), and it ran just fine.
That was around 100,000ks back.
I won't make that mistake again though..........

They used to do that on purpose in the UK during winter way back, but in hind sight I'm not sure about the reasoning (reduce waxing????). Perhaps it changed the cetane rating.

In northern Canada they used to fill your tank while you went inside from the cold for a coffee. They did this to my reserve tank. I headed north 500 km into the sub-Arctic (east of Lake Athabasca in Saskatchewan), seeing noone. Then I switched to the reserve tank.....

mudgee hunter said:
I had a blonde moment relapse again after 10 years..
Blocked kitchen sink P-trap.
Yep, put the dish under it when I cracked the trap apart.
Sweet, caught all the dirty water in a dish I put under it
Took it out, without spilling a drop ..
Stood up, what else do you do with a dish for full of dirty water....
Ya tip it back down the sink of course! :lol:

Brilliant best laugh I have had today. If it makes you feel any better I am guilty of it also. Fortunately for me I have not done the ULP into a diesel trick yet but have come very close. Only in the last few weeks I went to fill up put the nozzle in and noticed I had picked up the ULP nozzle.

Latest posts