Stannifer and Tingha Plateau Conservation Area Now Closed

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Due to the actions of the Greedy, The Jellybean Crystal areas around Stannifer and Tingha Conservation areas are NOW CLOSED.... Due to the actions of Some :poop:'s ..

These are Temporary Signs placed around the area.... THEY ARE REAL... New proper signs are being made and will be Erected ASAP...

1601794389_120592401_3490062784387122_51896134233198223241_o.jpg

This is becoming a very Serious situation and they MUST be stopped...

LW...

Actually,
It is very serious if you fossick or prospect in a
" State Conservation Area. "

Torrington is a NSW NPWS State Conservation Area and Fossicking is and has been allowed for decades... One of only 2 in NSW where Fossicking is allowed, Abercrombie Karst Conservation area (Grove Creek area only) is the other.... But this New area now closed , Fossicking has been allowed there for Years as well.. Hence the confusion on what is actually going on...
From their website:
Fossicking is currently permitted in two parks through plans of management:

Abercrombie Karst Conservation Reserve (Grove Creek part only)
Torrington State Conservation Area (throughout the park).
www.environment.nsw.gov.au topics park-policies f...

Even 'Field Trips' with Minerama and other Clubs have been there with blessing from NPWS for years... And one of Our Venues for Gemorama this year till Covid hit....

Perhaps it has just been made a Conservation area? I don't know, but anyhow We have lost another area due to the Greedy Illegal activities of some....

LW...

Greedy illegal activities of some or just NPWS doing what they love to do best.

Gradually closing off access to more and more areas.

Not blaming the local guys, they are usually pretty good, but the apparatchiks down in head office believe that every national park should be a people free zone.

Greedy illegal activities of some or just NPWS doing what they love to do best.

Gradually closing off access to more and more areas.

Not blaming the local guys, they are usually pretty good, but the apparatchiks down in head office believe that every national park should be a people free zone.

No, both these closures have been bought upon us by the Greedy by bringing Generators and jackhammers and pulling Trailer loads out... Its mind-blowing the damage that has occurred... Even Pacific Copper's plant is getting raided for its bits and pieces of steel...

LW....

Tathradj said:
Actually,
It is very serious if you fossick or prospect in a
" State Conservation Area. "

A phone call was made to NPWS on Thursday the 1st of October, after these signs went up the day before... There was a Gem Event to be held there on this long weekend and the Organisers were worried... Even the Police visited the Organiser on Tuesday to remind them on the Social Distancing Laws and numbers of how many could attend...

The Organisers were informed by NPWS that all is ok to go ahead with the event and NPWS knew nothing about the signs.... They even suggested that these signs were 'Homemade' and someone was going to be Prosecuted if they were found to be posting these 'Fake' signs....

It only came to light today in an Email from NPWS to the Organisers (Unusual on a Sunday), that the signs WERE actually true and WAS put up by NPWS.... And the area is Now closed...

So the Right hand hasn't a clue what the Left hand is doing in NPWS.... :rolleyes: :mad:

So I hope that clears up your comment Doug... Can this one also be a sticky please... If you require proof that this is true, feel free to PM me and I can supply details of who spoke to who and when...

LW....

Looks to me like fossicking was probably allowed on a local basis as a past activity but not formalised in the SCA Plan of Management. NPWS have the power to do this but it's very very rarely allowed - first time I've actually seen it. They can also issue individual fossicking permits but I'm not aware of anybody ever getting one. I tried & failed once it went past my local office/NPWS Manager who was onboard with it.
Sounds like the actions of a few have set us all back once again. If the damage is as bad as you describe LW then it's unlikely now to be ever put into the plan of management & formalised as an allowable activity there.
With more NSW State Forests being turned into Parks or SCA's this will rear it's head more & more.

I totally agree with you there.. Even the local Tourist Info centre has been directing Fossickers to this area for years.....

This is going to Explode in a big way in NSW very soon...

I feel the Government Departments need to bring back Fossicking and Prospecting Licences again in NSW... Yes State forests have, but that only applies to State Forests...

We need something in place with rules printed on the back so everyone knows the rules... And more enforcement needs to be out there, fining these Grubs who constantly disregard the rules.....

Fossicking has been going on around Tingha and Stannifer for over 20yrs... The locations are listed in all the books from old to very recent ones...

Its just the greed and Illegal activities that will force more closures...

Only today My Caretaker mate caught 4 different lots Digging Illegally around the District, one lot was so brazen, digging within 40m of a 'No Fossicking and Digging' Sign... They just don't give a :poop: anymore... :mad:

Keep going Grubs and Torrington will close soon as well... :(

LW....

Instead of taking away access from those of us doing the right thing, the NPWS should stand up for us (those doing the right thing) and throw the book at those persons acting illegally. Just closing off access to all is a very lazy and unfair way for the NPWS to behave. As Public Servants, they should take their obligations to the public seriously and make enforcement and compliance a reality, not just make the problems go away by signing a few closure orders. The grubs :poop: are few and surely cannot be too difficult to track down and prosecute using digital capture cameras, mobile phone tracking etc etc. After all they have to dig where the known deposits are located. We deserve better. :| :|

There are people working on this closure at Stannifer, will post
when i hear something, blind leading the blind from what has happened.
Have been out there to some, (not all) popular spots and can't see any
reason for closures. Still families there having a fossick with their kids. All the times i've been
there never come across anyone using anything bar a shovel, hand garden scoop,
small pick, sieve and a couple of buckets. There is a galah out that way who
was corresponding with forestry telling them about all the people digging up
the place. Never seen much rubbish , if any i pick it up and have found
quiet a few fossicking tools they've left behind, which i usually pass
on to someone who hasn't got one.
99% of people do the right thing and respect the bush, take home memories
and if there lucky a nice smokey quartz.

I hope they consider opening up this area to fossicking again. Most of this area has been disturbed by tin mining so I am not sure of the conservation value. Our town needs visitors to help its economy. State parks also need visitors to justify employment. There must be a middle ground. I will write to our local member.
MB

PS letter sent

Latest posts