That's not a Knife

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AAHHH!...Excuse my ignorance :lol: But there's obviously something I'm missing here!...Years ago...66 to 71 I was privilidged to work with the great...something, grandson of Ned Kelly's mother. His name was Paddy Quinn. He was once a sleeper cutter and he showed me his Adze one time and what a beautiful tool it was. It was also...ridiculously sharp! He maintained the blade with a small..(10 INCH) flat file...followed up with oil on a fine honing stone.So my question is...what is the advantage of what appears to me to be a (round) File...and have I been doing it the wrong way for over half a century!
:8

Hi reefer, no you have not not been doing it wrong at all , :eek:

The rats tail file in the photo wore out years ago, so i made it into a steel , :D , they make the best steel money can buy
Sand the file smooth and soak it in iodine for about a day ,give it a wash with acid and give it a good wash down with water
I made that one about 30 years ago still like new :D

nucopia said:
nucopia said:
Been reading the posts and enjoyed seeing all the members posts, some nice looking blades and some very interesting ones too.
Im curious about the Gerber Winchester Double Barrel Bowie, seems its a very popular knife with the members .
Just wonder why that is and what makes it such a good knife ..
Ok far enough..
here is another question.. whats the best way to sharpen a knife blade ?
Wet stone, bench grinder belt sander.
How do members keep their blades sharp ?

Diamond cabbing wheel.

reefer said:
AAHHH!...Excuse my ignorance :lol: But there's obviously something I'm missing here!...Years ago...66 to 71 I was privilidged to work with the great...something, grandson of Ned Kelly's mother. His name was Paddy Quinn. He was once a sleeper cutter and he showed me his Adze one time and what a beautiful tool it was. It was also...ridiculously sharp! He maintained the blade with a small..(10 INCH) flat file...followed up with oil on a fine honing stone.So my question is...what is the advantage of what appears to me to be a (round) File...and have I been doing it the wrong way for over half a century!
:8

hi reefer, you sure his name wasn't MANNY Quinn :lol:

Numpty!....it could have been PanyyQuinn...come to think of it... it might of been Larry Quinn.NAH!...Sure it was Paddy Quinn. :cool:

PabloP said:
Wishfull said:
What is the best not too expensive knife sharpening system. I saw somewhere that Lansky is a good one. Around $180 with a bench clamp. Seems a bit expensive.
I thinking of taking up doing a bit of knife making, thats why I'm asking.

Did you tackle the knife making Wishfull?
I too have developed an interest but didn't want to go the whole hog of setting up a furnace at least to start with, to do all the heat treating work. So I am playing with making a small (3.5" blade) knife from an old file, as it is already hardened, and using this process a home oven is all that is needed to temper the knife. I have modified a YouTube vid process as the basis for the work.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/4430/1602383426_knifeprogress.jpg

The blade has been tempered at 400degC (light straw colour) and is razor-sharp. As this is an experimental project I am just going to use some bits of well-cured Red Gum as the handle scales but would like to use Micarta in the future. I have yet to decide what to use for pins on the handle.

Rob P.

Attached are the knife in a reasonable state of completion and the wet formed sheath for it with a fire steel holder as well.
1603416131_knifeshrunk.jpg

1603416168_sheathshrunk.jpg

Rob P.

7.62marksman said:

Some lockdown scrolling through old posts and bingo ....... saw this old photo from 7.62
Anyone know where you can get the 'cutter' .... not one of the knives but the thing with the 2 rings (finger grips/handles) on the end? Think I saw them years ago at Kmart .... plumbers use something similar to cut plastic pipe but they're just smooth.
Looks just the thing to get between bamboo canes to selectively cut out the old canes .... too tight to get in with a normal garden type saw.

Fav fishing knife is my old Buck filleting knife, served me well for over 30 years
1603420505_d1c7a318-d139-42ff-a8fc-6c3d897b97a4.jpg

G'Day yella fella. I got my wires crossed there. In about 1983 a reli gave me some of his knives when he retired from being a butcher. Some were Victorinox. Some were Swibo, which were made by The Wenger Co, both in Switzerland, but two different companies. That's why I made that comment. It turns out that Wenger was bought out by Victorinox in 2005, so they now make the Swibo knives as well. wiley

I have just bought an Hultafors camp knife with the ferro rod, great bit of kit at a price that won't make you 8.( if it gets lost. the model is the 4ok, large handle for big mits but only a 4" blade.If you are thinking of buying a Mora, check out the Hultafors.

Well I bit the bullet after Pablp P's suggestion and got into leather work. First project was a sheath for my Bush knife...which arose after I withdrew it out of the sheath it came with and it cut right through it and cut my finger!... :8 Have learnt a hell of a lot about leather work...namely how much Ihave to learn about leather work! :lol: but here is my first go at it..just finished it yesterday.
1610444975_20210112_201528_2.jpg
1610445117_20210112_201740_2.jpg

Thanks Manpa...Yeah I'm happy for how it turned out for a first go at it. Next on the list is a..'Manbag'...and then a belt for a friend of mine. 'Keep it simple'; is my mantra at the moment.The best thing about is the wonderful 'peace' I get from it...it seems to have a calming effect on me and at the same time as it stimulates my creative essence.. which is what I like the best about it...I have a long learning curve to negotiate I know but that's ok.

Latest posts