Lady beginner looking for tips to stay safe & a buddy up

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhodie

Marie
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

At the ripe 'old' age of 60 I have decided to break free of my chains and soon join the world of gold prospecting ( starting out in January 2021 :D ). Of course, being a complete novice, I am respectful of those who will have a wealth of skills, knowledge and experience that I have yet to learn. Looking at starting out mid north coast area and then maybe over to Queensland to try my luck. Hoping those in the know will be willing to share safety tips for a woman out there and perhaps looking at buddying up with someone like minded who wants to go on a new adventure in life and try their luck at gold prospecting.
Thanks.

Welcome Rhodie ...... good place to start, apart from taking in the wealth of knowledge in the PA forums, might be a local prospecting club.
Usually welcome new members, and are willing to share info once they "accept' you into their brother/sisterhood.
Good luck,
Cheers T.

Thank you all for the welcome and info, much appreciated. Will follow up on joining up with a prospecting club, if they'll have me.
Right now I got a pocket full of dreams and not much else but the thought of venturing out into the great unknown and having the freedom is growing stronger by the day. I can't wait!

Hi everyone,
Tnx for offers of help. I have been looking at what tools of the trade I will need to start off with. Obvious one is a metal detector, but after totally boggling my brain with what is out there I am feeling quite confused. I do not have a big budget so a minelab is probably out of my range. I have looked at the Garrett Ace 400i. Any feedback on this model would be appreciated. Any suggestions would be most welcome, looking at midd range price to start with. Also, what would you all recommend that is the most useful tools that I would need?
As a matter of interest, where have all your inspirations come from to be gold prospectors? I got mine from watching Aussie Gold Hunters. I really admire them, their guts, determination & resilience.
Have a golden weekend everyone.

Hi Rhodie

If you have Facebook and youre in Sydney there is one club you can find called Dubbo prospecting club , they have membersup to 75 years old or so and they do a healthy mix of comfortable social trips with prospecting in a gentle way which might be a good starting point.

They dont go aggressive hiking up cliff faces or kayaking down whitewater rapids chasing gold so you would be safe apart from the snakes , spiders , scorpions , sunburn , blisters , blackberry and moderately average chefs at the daily barbecue.

:D

Have fun

rhodie said:
Hi everyone,
Tnx for offers of help. I have been looking at what tools of the trade I will need to start off with. Obvious one is a metal detector, but after totally boggling my brain with what is out there I am feeling quite confused. I do not have a big budget so a minelab is probably out of my range. I have looked at the Garrett Ace 400i. Any feedback on this model would be appreciated. Any suggestions would be most welcome, looking at midd range price to start with. Also, what would you all recommend that is the most useful tools that I would need?
As a matter of interest, where have all your inspirations come from to be gold prospectors? I got mine from watching Aussie Gold Hunters. I really admire them, their guts, determination & resilience.
Have a golden weekend everyone.

Hello Rhodie ,
First off you don't need a detector , just a pan and washing tub .
Even in dry areas you will be able to do sampling of areas to find where the gold is .

Just need to take extra water !

Good Luck
Jack

Welcome Rhodie

I'm a "late starter", but better late than never!

PA is the BEST place to start even if you don't have any gear yet. There's a wealth of information on here and an amazing group of new friends you have yet to meet.

There are often great deals on 2nd hand detectors advertised in the Buy & Sell section, so keep your eyes peeled and save up for the best you can afford.

Wishing you luck in your "new life".... it will definitely keep you young :lol:

Cheers Annie :)

Latest posts