Victorian public land access bill

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bigl .... "I lived in WA for 17 years, heavily involved in exploration, represented multinationals to major WA players.. know just a tad more than you ever will."

So you where totally fine with going onto other farmers "pastoral leased land" in WA for 17 years and making camp and digging up "THEIR LAND " mines on their leases hey!!!
FOR YOUR PROFIT!
Way more environmental damage than any fisherman/ camper.
So it dose make you sound like a hyprocrict, now the roles are are reversed when even on a lesser scale to what you did!

I don't know about others, but I tend to find camping spots that are a bit more 'environmentally pleasing' than areas where cattle have access to the waterways.

And they say that prospectors cause damage to the banks, and turbidity in the water and can't prospect there... :/

1603001444_cattle_access_to_rivers.jpg

1603001461_cattle_access_point.jpg

1603001477_cattle_access_point_2.jpg

1603001498_cow_patty.jpg

Just my two cents worth - not looking for an argument. :)

Cheers,
Megsy

Torren title goes to the bank or high water mark.

Went out the window when we converted to such.

There is a lot in this so do your researh.

" some rule or legality that allowed access to X amount of "chains" along rivers and creeks in Victoria "

I was thinking the same thing Megsy. I've seen similar before too, with sheep having completely flattened and degraded a creek bank to the point of it being an absolute mess. I have no beef with farmers (no pun intended), but I don't think anybody should have exclusive access to something that they don't own, in the same way as we are not denied access to the ocean. If access to Crown owned land near rivers is an issue with land holders, then maybe it's time for an easement somewhere that will enable public access?

I have heard (that's Heard by the way, not Herd :) ) the argument trotted out many times by farmers that they feed us, clothe us, keep the economy and the balance of payments healthy etc, etc. But so do a lot of industries, and in a post-covid economy with very little income coming from international tourism for quite some time in the foreseeable future, it makes sense that if we want to help local businesses then initiatives such as making rivers more accessible to everyone is something that can help. Everything from camping gear, 4wd and automotive accessories, fishing gear, prospecting gear, local food shops, independent supermarkets, fuel supplies, accommodation, and the list goes on (yes accommodation. I personally prefer a B&B or motel if I go overnight somewhere nowadays). :)

Sheep are a lot more light footed than cattle. And they eat/ rip differently as well. Cows bite and pull tuffs, sheep tend to nibble more so.
Could be wrong, over grazing is a no no anytime

Those pics posted by Megsy were like some of the river frontages I encountered in South Australia when I lived there. The areas of river I fished were where the owners were known to me & their permission sought before EVERY visit. It's what you call being respectful. I would always leave everything as I found it & if I noticed anything untoward always told the owner before I left.

There were 2 types of farmers. Those who were proactive 100% & limited stock access to a very small access area all of the time, and the others who just allowed their stock to destroy almost all of the river frontage.

It was reduced somewhat when farmers had to reduce the amount of access stock had to the rivers which saw areas recover.

So it goes both ways; you have some idiot farmers & you have some idiot visitors to rivers who both think they have god given rights.

BigL or Northeast, I seem to have forgotten the fees involved for riverfront land.
Could you remind me what the application fees are and the amounts payable to the Vic gov for these areas?

Northeast said:
"But some think money buys exemption!" Um, shouldn't it? Isn't that the reason we can buy or lease things? If I lease a building in the middle of Bendigo, doesn't that mean that I should have sole access to it? If there is a tap in that building does that mean anyone should be allowed access to re-fill their water bottle? I know this is an extreme example but buying or leasing something does provide exemptions - otherwise everybody would be allowed to go absolutely anywhere.

There is the conditions on that land to take into consideration.

"A licence over a Crown land water frontage authorises the
licensee to enter and use the land for a specified purpose
but does not give the licensee exclusive use of the land.
When a Crown land water frontage is licensed, the public
retains the right to enter and remain on the land for certain
recreational purposes such as walking, fishing or bird
watching. Members of the public should not interfere with
the purpose of the licence and are not permitted to camp or
light camp fires on licensed Crown land water frontages. "

https://www.forestsandreserves.vic..../31424/Crown-land-water-frontage-licences.pdf

I think too many cocky's have been strutting around like roosters on land that doesn't belong to them and bluffing their way to get exclusive rights to it.
It doesn't belong to you plain and simple, if you don't like the conditions then don't use the land, fence it off and keep your stock off public property.

Really OP!
Are Really sure it dosent mention doof doof, shag'n in front of children, pooping on top of cow poo, junky fisherman? :cult communes popping up...lol:
Must be a typo!!!

mudgee hunter said:
Sheep are a lot more light footed than cattle. And they eat/ rip differently as well. Cows bite and pull tuffs, sheep tend to nibble more so.
Could be wrong, over grazing is a no no anytime

Sheep will starve horses out and horses will starve cattle out, basic stuff. :zzz:

Latest posts