Melt or Sell silver coins

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tillek

Ian
Reaction score
Cleaning out the old blokes hoarding hellhole and i found a small cache of pre-decimal silvers. What do you folk typically do with silver coins - keep, sell as is, sell as bulk silver?
thanks

Ones in good condition can be sold for a better price , check on E-bay , it is a good guide . If they are badly worn , they can also be sold on E-bay for scrap . Depends how much time you want to spend messing with them .

I would try to sell a number at a time , say 6 or so .

Check the dates as earlier ones have a higher silver content, don't do a bulk sale. Can someone else might help with the dates and silver values.

Australian pre-decimal silver coins minted between 1910 and 1945 comprise 92.5% pure silver (aka sterling silver).
Later dates contain 50% silver.
When decimal coinage was introduced in 1966, the circular 50 cent coin contained 80% silver.

Thanks folks,
Will check dates and conditions and see what transpires.

More than likely they are just scrap so sell them as scrap at spot with free postage that should shift them quickly and maybe google so to speak looking for any rarer ones and condition is everything.

I have found a lot of crappy silver coins on the beach but I have found a few good ones .

Coins worth weight in gold | Daily Telegraphwww.dailytelegraph.com.au news national news-story
Mar 9, 2008 And the metal content of our 10c, 20c and 50c pieces is now worth more than the metal in the $1 and $2 coins. But anyone who thinks melting down coins could be a clever money-making venture has been warned it is illegal to melt currency and heavy penalties apply.

They are the rules...... :( :( :(

Tillek said:
Cleaning out the old blokes hoarding hellhole and i found a small cache of pre-decimal silvers. What do you folk typically do with silver coins - keep, sell as is, sell as bulk silver?
thanks
Take some photos and show us what youve got.

Jaros said:
Coins worth weight in gold | Daily Telegraphwww.dailytelegraph.com.au news national news-story
Mar 9, 2008 And the metal content of our 10c, 20c and 50c pieces is now worth more than the metal in the $1 and $2 coins. But anyone who thinks melting down coins could be a clever money-making venture has been warned it is illegal to melt currency and heavy penalties apply.

They are the rules...... :( :( :(

yes but he's not melting modern coins.

Meant to mention not to melt down the pre 1945 ones (thanks BigWave for the info') as the dates will show that they are sterling silver quality and should attract a better price.

Latest posts