Whites Tdi Pro Standard vs Whites Tdi Pro Modified.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was surprised by the depth on the 1 grain ingot, so surprised I had to repeat it to make sure, almost air test depth in hot ground. Some sort of weird dynamic at work involving the soil, target etc. not sure. The other targets suffered more at the test site, depth was down from previous tests but not the 1 grain ingot. Sorry the Tdi Sl was mounted with the 6x4 mono and I didn't have time to do any real testing with it. The weather was perfect, no flies, ants laying low etc I just did a bit more prospecting and less testing. This time of year it was a gift not to be wasted.. Some more videos to follow later.

1580802511_img_1800_edited.jpg
1580802524_img_1834_edited.jpg

Just a video of the area used, the standard Pro with a quick ground balance in All and then Low conductivity. Ground noise is something that can be managed
but not eliminated in this area. Too many hot rocks and the ground is hot as .. Sadie then Digger coils.

I'll complete my Tdi Pro Modified experiments with a five cell battery holder. Should come in around 21v hot off the charger and work around 18v plus most of the time.
Could be interesting, it has been done before so I'm not worried about damaging the machine etc. A modified pro with upgraded battery voltage, about as good as it can get?
1580856074_img_1864_edited.jpg

Despite a valiant effort with the Dremel tool, this 5 cell rig will not fit inside the Tdi Pro. The idea of a battery holder which allows me to remove and replace cells is a dead duck.
Looks as I will have to go full 'Reidman' and built a proper five cell unit with circuit, sleek heat shrink wrap which will help it fit inside the machine. It will be using a dedicated charger. Reality is the 'coronavirus' is going to slow things down, suppliers are based in China.. Patience required, just have to wait for the bits and pieces to arrive, using quality Panasonic cells. Conscripted family member who is electronics technician.. too easy they say.. I'll get a few bits extra to make sure one works, might want to make more later? Ok, this has gone from quick test to battery build project..

1581069358_charger.jpg

1581069383_circuit.jpg

The modified Tdi Pro will be sold. It will include one factory battery. Buyer will have choice of Miner John, Razorback coils subject to price etc. Asking price for this unit is under a grand with coil. Battery test in coming week. All the best.

I just watched your videos again. The SL is so stable, as I remember it, actually makes the signal a little duller, but at the same time stands out more because the threshold is so stable. The standard Pro is all over the shop, would get very tiring for me to use for any length of time. The Modified Pro is the best compromise in my opinion. A little wavering, but generally stable, and the response is nice and crisp.

Whites would have had a winner if they made a unit like the modified pro, but in the SL lighter box, and with a good solid battery, with regulated input.

After I've tested the high output battery, I'll post the Tdi pro modified in the classifieds on this site, followed up on Fleabay if it doen't sell.

Why keep the standard and sell the modified? I know the history of the standard unit, no idea what was done to the modified unit other than it was done by LukeOzDigger, focused on threshold and sensitivity. A bit like a standard car or the modified unit with mag wheels and aftermarket turbo.. I'll keep the standard car..
The modifications work and demonstate the White's could have developed the Tdi further. A Tdi MINI PRO, would have been great. The lighter SL package with the higher output battery, regulated for a steady 16 volts would have been ideal. A ten turn ground balance or auto with ground grab like the GMT. Destiny or a series of White's management decitions have seen the company go in another direction.

The 5 x 18650 battery will be ready shortly, well before the end of this month. I'm interested in knowing if there is the same margin of improvement with the Tdi Pro as there was with the SL when provided with a bit of extra voltage. I've researched this project, which is based on the Reidman battery sold for a while in the USA. No problems with the Pro when running 18 volts plus and some gains in depth were claimed. Looking forward to putting it to the test. I will run a volt meter and check voltage and performance over a period of time to determine optimal run time, the low battery light is of no value with this battery. Will compare standard machine with standard battery against modified machine with high output battery. Followed by standard machine with high voltage battery vs modified machine with standard battery. The beach allows me to run the machine with ground balance off, so the Pro punches deep in the sand, wet and dry. Added voltage and hopefully depth will push the boundaries of this machines potential to the max. My last Tdi project because I'm at a loss to think of anything else, down to location and coil choice combined with operator ability after this.

Lots of photos to show the battery build and a bit of a review at the end. All the best.

Thank you for all the work you are putting into testing them and showing the differences. I appreciate your writing what they are like at the beach as well as on hot ground.

Any updates on the battery moded TDI Pro, I've got a pro myself and am keenly following
Thanks

I'll pull my finger out and get the job done. Was waiting for a cosmetic part to arrive, which it did weeks ago. I'm on it..

I have a modified TDI and a modified SSP, My TDI is not a pro or an Oz Pro. It is one of the original batch of four sent out to Australia for testing when the TDI was first released in the US. When it was tested out here it did not perform well on our soils and had a couple of other issues as well. Eric Foster who designed the TDI and sold it to Whites came out to Australia for a few weeks to see what the problems were first hand. Eric modified my TDI and the other three and the design changes he made formed the basis for the TDI Pro oz we now know. I have added an American made upper carbon shaft to the detector and Luke added his mods as well. I have finished up with a really good TDI. My SSP has also been modded by Luke and now has a conductivity switch fitted. I imported a long run battery pack for the SSP from RNB Innovations in the US to overcome the short run time problem and minerjohn bought another one over when he visited Australia. I also have a QED so at some stage I will sell one of the TDIs but have no idea which one. I am very attached to my TDI because it has a bit of history but I just have too many detectors at the moment.

That early Tdi is a bit of a collectors item, should sell easy enough but if you do you will never get another one like it..

What's a conductivity button if you don't mind me asking, is it like the pin pointed of vlf machines?

Its a 3 way switch.... High conductive- All - Low conductive. High con. only hears those targets, Low con. just low conductive targets and All hears everything. Sort of a PI discriminating switch.

What's a conductivity button if you don't mind me asking, is it like the pin pointed of vlf machines?

Hi Karelian65, I was unable to view the video links shared above. Would it be possible to upload them again, would love to see the content, still relevant. Thank you also for your many other threads, thank you PK

The original files have been deleted due to my computer upgrade and the Tdi Pro that was modified has been sold. I'll check my backup drives but it is not looking good.

Latest posts