EPIRB preferences ?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FYI - @ Snowys Outdoors.

RescueMe PLB1 is $319 (noting the $299 Penndragon paid) with a 7 year battery life, 7 year limited warranty. Slightly smaller and lighter than the KTI and more waterproof, 15 M for 1 hr.

KTI Safety Alert PLB SA2GN is $269 with a 10 year battery life, 10 year warranty. 3 years more warranty and battery life. 3 M for 1 hr.

Personal choice really they both do the same thing, although the PLB1 is more designed for attaching to a life jacket. For me the KTI with the extra 3 years battery life and $50 cheaper will do. I'm not a boaty, lol.....

goody2shoes said:
All most bought one but it was second hand and unsure where the original owner was at the time..

Unsure if you can register a second hand one with out the original owner

Goody - email AMSA you can do that from their webpage - contact us. But if you do buy 2nd hand, check the battery expiry date, it's usually marked on the outer casing. As well as the cost of replacing the battery if it is near or expired.

EPIRBS are great but dont discount the value of a rescue balloon.

Invented by a Welsh ex army dude but copied by a US "kickstarter" campaign and they call themselves "rescue me balloon"

They are a pocket sized helium balloon with a flashing LED on top and a 150 foot long lanyard line.

Not yet available in Oz that i can see.

1588557587_rescue-me-balloon.jpg

That is a bloody good idea!

I think the battery thing with PLB's is a rort....if they let you disconnect it yourself why can't they trust you to reconnect a new one yourself?

madtuna said:

I think the battery thing with PLB's is a rort....if they let you disconnect it yourself why can't they trust you to reconnect a new one yourself?

I don't know how you stand with an epirb used exclusively on land but if you change the battery yourself but in a maritime environment you are not allowed to do it yourself as it then becomes a "Not Authorised" device, usually the expiry label is positioned over the join so you have to break that seal to change the battery.

To return the device to an authorised service to have the battery replaced (and a new expiry date sticker) is as much as is buying a new one. Yes it's a rort.

PLB stands for,
Personal Locating Beacon. "
In other words, You carry it in your backpack, Pocket etc,

Low power output but, A satellite will pick it up.Also,
It is down there some where in about a 200 square kilometer radius.
(Better than nothing. )

EPIRB
Stands for,
Emercency Position Indicating Radio Beacon

A lot of output, A satellite will pick it up very fast. If not transmitting
a co ordinate from an inbuilt GPS, Triangulation is very accurate.
Down to a very well defined area.
Carry it in your boat, Glove box with a red label on the out side,
Back Pack, etc.

Point is, There is a difference hence why they are labelled accordingly.

It is a life saving device sealed etc.

In other words, When its gotta work, its gotta work.

Whisp said:
madtuna said:

I don't know how you stand with an epirb used exclusively on land but if you change the battery yourself but in a maritime environment you are not allowed to do it yourself as it then becomes a "Not Authorised" device, usually the expiry label is positioned over the join so you have to break that seal to change the battery.

To return the device to an authorised service to have the battery replaced (and a new expiry date sticker) is as much as is buying a new one. Yes it's a rort.

Brillant thinking. :Y: :Y: :Y:

madtuna said:

Tathradj said:
PLB stands for,
Personal Locating Beacon. "
In other words, You carry it in your backpack, Pocket etc,

Low power output but, A satellite will pick it up.Also,
It is down there some where in about a 200 square kilometer radius.
(Better than nothing. )

EPIRB
Stands for,
Emercency Position Indicating Radio Beacon

A lot of output, A satellite will pick it up very fast. If not transmitting
a co ordinate from an inbuilt GPS, Triangulation is very accurate.
Down to a very well defined area.
Carry it in your boat, Glove box with a red label on the out side,
Back Pack, etc.

Point is, There is a difference hence why they are labelled accordingly.

The positional accuracy of modern PLB's appears to be much better than "about a 200 square kilometer radius".

rescueME PLB1:
1602825389_plb1.jpg

GME MT410G PLB:
1602825412_plb2.jpg

This is an old thread 'Tathradj'
I think you missed the point of my previous post today... about premature activation of the epirb's. :argh:

Jaros said:
Comes up about twice a year,,,,,we're all learning day by day.

The point about my first post here today was the warning 'released today by minelab' that our detectors are setting off epirbs.
Maybe some people should read the full story before commenting. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Latest posts