❓Your Mineral Identification Questions answered here

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1602210628_8bd21ac7-9882-4c29-846e-3cddd6772964.jpg

1602210628_8d546d5b-ffec-4543-bcfd-b5ac6e35ae9d.jpg

mbasko said:
Lukep said:
Is it common to the area?
Looks like sedimentary rock like sandstone or chert to me but hard to tell.
Country rock or rock native to the area.
Is the second photo showing quartz through the rock? If so then you've probably found an area where igneous rock (in this case quartz) has intruded the country rock. These contact zones can be good gold areas.
Maybe crush a sample & pan to see if gold is present.
As above still looks like sedimentary rock intruded by igneous rock (quartz).
These rocks aren't uncommon or certain to hold gold but in a gold bearing area can be good indicators.
A contact zone & if there are shafts there the oldtimers may have known it had something worth digging for? How rich it was or wasn't who knows? Do some sampling of the throw outs or detect around the area if it outcrops on the surface.

goldierocks said:

Yes, and did you ever walk the plank over the gap.. yikes took me four attempts to get the balls up. Got to be 50 or 60 foot drop into the water with a cold swim back around. :argh:

Hi all

I recently purchased a gemstone paydirt bag as a little bit of fun and learning experience for myself and my daughters. Also trying to get them off their dam ipads.

So far they are enjoying it. They are picking out the "pretty little tiny rocks" as my daughters call them.

Just want to clarify exactly what it is they are picking out.

Very tiny mostly orange in colour. Some red ones and a couple of blue.

Hope the image is clear.

Cheers

Shazza.

1602760584_2021.jpg

Looking at the gravel mix you will probably find sapphires, zircons, garnets, and a bit of black spinel. The Sapphires could be blue, green or even yellow, zircons will look orange or clear and garnets red. Most will be too small to cut but you might get lucky with the occasional larger stone.

Great to hear your daughters are enjoying the experience, brilliant way to develop an inquisitive mind and a will to find more.

Cheers Dihusky appreciate the feedback.

We have found some larger ones that range in colour. Ill post some pictures soon.

Are black spinel smooth and almost matte like?

Ill try and source some glass vials so the girls can store them and hang it up their room.

(This posting copied over from the Gold Detector section on Deepseekers advice....apologies for duplication)

Ran the Nox800 over some old diggings the other day.......quite a few hot rocks, which I threw in the bag for the Dolly.
When i got home, scrubbed up a rather unusual looking one....and it's got me stumped.
It's about 14 X 10 X 5 mm, and weighs 2.1gm.....the yellowish tinge caught my eye, which is why it went in the tub for a scrub.
It appears to be a real mixture of stuff, with some obvious crystals embedded, ranging from almost clear through to red and black.
My detectoring mate reckons it's part of a meteorite.......wouldn't discount that.
Don't know what the yellowish coating is.....guess I can live in hope :)
Would appreciate any opinions.

1602792358_2016_0131_102448_005_medium.jpg

1602792459_2016_0131_102201_003_medium.jpg

1602792482_2016_0131_102539_006_medium.jpg

1602792502_2016_0131_102812_008_medium.jpg

1602792518_2016_0131_102941_009_medium.jpg

There is a Prase deposit in the hill above Nundle, NSW, which is really nice stuff. It is a fair walk in but well worth the effort. There should be some information on location available if you search for it, but from my last recollection you would have to go in the back way as a lease covers the track from the road.

Hey
i am not sure where to post this question but i thought here maybe aha i have some rocks that my partner and i have collected that we think may have a mineral of some type in them but we need help identifying them. is this where i could post some questions and get some help figuring out what they might be or is there a more relevant one i should post in? :)

mbasko said:
Lukep said:
Is it common to the area?
Looks like sedimentary rock like sandstone or chert to me but hard to tell.
Country rock or rock native to the area.
Is the second photo showing quartz through the rock? If so then you've probably found an area where igneous rock (in this case quartz) has intruded the country rock. These contact zones can be good gold areas.
Maybe crush a sample & pan to see if gold is present.
I agree mbasko - sedimentary, probably quartz sandstone with some white mica flakes.

Lilleth said:
Hey
i am not sure where to post this question but i thought here maybe aha i have some rocks that my partner and i have collected that we think may have a mineral of some type in them but we need help identifying them. is this where i could post some questions and get some help figuring out what they might be or is there a more relevant one i should post in? :)

This is probably the best spot, please read goldierocks post on identification at the beginning of this section as this will give good starting points, also when you post photos look to provide the best images as possible, well lit and in focus.

Latest posts