Easy to use home made magnet for iron removal

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrlimb

Michael
Reaction score
I had trouble separating fine gold from heavy iron so I did some research and found people use a magnet, this is my version

Start with a Bunning's magnetic door stop
take out the magnet
put it into a aluminium Berocca container

1392868341_wp_20140220_002.jpg

1392868361_wp_20140220_003.jpg

1392868306_wp_20140220_004.jpg

To release the iron shake the Berocca tube

works a treat.

Now only to have 15 beroccas in 1 day will give me more than just b b bounce
But grate idea

XIV said:
Now only to have 15 beroccas in 1 day will give me more than just b b bounce
But grate idea

I always thought there was 16... I suppose when you reach for them with a cracking hangover you really don't care about the finer details!!!

Horse, is right, the magnets in hard drives are very powerful, & quite small, they are easy to take out.

Great innovation. You could glue a bit of tube to the magnet, pass it through the cap and use it to lift the magnet. This way you would not spread your black sand everywhere. You could just move it to your "black sand jar " and drop it in for future processing..
Just a thought

Cheers, Tone

TenOunce Tone said:
Great innovation. You could glue a bit of tube to the magnet, pass it through the cap and use it to lift the magnet. This way you would not spread your black sand everywhere. You could just move it to your "black sand jar " and drop it in for future processing..
Just a thought

Cheers, Tone

Keeping in mind I am new and still learning heaps I have to ask. Why would you keep magnetic material for processing later?

Mrlimb said:
TenOunce Tone said:
Just a thought

Cheers, Tone

Keeping in mind I am new and still learning heaps I have to ask. Why would you keep magnetic material for processing later?

We keep it because we can get $210 per ton for iron scrap........

joking obviously...........

It has been known for the black sands to trap flour gold as it is attracted to the magnet, a bit like a net.

For us desperados from SA, those little bits are GOLD :)

Unlike our counterparts from the west and east who regularly bathe in gold plated tubs and have gold scented soap.

gadgetman45 said:
Horse, is right, the magnets in hard drives are very powerful, & quite small, they are easy to take out.

I got a old hard drive in my draw what parts the magnet :p I shall rip it apart :)

Colmaca said:
gadgetman45 said:

I got a old hard drive in my draw what parts the magnet :p I shall rip it apart :)
Unscrew the hard drive to take it apart, the magnets are used on the disc inside, just pry them off, be aware that on some real old hard drives the magnets may be brittle.

Very fine gold can get dragged out with the magnets.. it fets xaught on the surface if the heavies. If you keep the black sand you can process when you have sufficient,say a jar full.. you will be surprised how much flour gold will come out of a cup or two of magnetics

Cheers, Tone

gadgetman45 said:
Colmaca said:
gadgetman45 said:

Unscrew the hard drive to take it apart, the magnets are used on the disc inside, just pry them off, be aware that on some real old hard drives the magnets may be brittle.

Be careful not to get the 2 magnets in the wrong spot....either side of thumb forefinger webbing like my Wife did.
You cannot get them apart one handed.....

She was panicking...I was laughing :lol: :lol:

Horse said:
gadgetman45 said:
Colmaca said:
gadgetman45 said:

Be careful not to get the 2 magnets in the wrong spot....either side of thumb forefinger webbing like my Wife did.
You cannot get them apart one handed.....

She was panicking...I was laughing :lol: :lol:

I got them out there not the powerful :) 1 stuck to my locker at work I couldn't get it out :8 the other I put in the jar with my gold there some black sand in there it snapped it up. I need a knife to get the other one off my locker :)

I got mine from Jaycar ,& they have various strengths. The rare earth material is encased in nickel , as they are very brittle. They are sold in pairs & was warned not to let them SNAP together as they will shatter , also as Horse said , they will make you bleed if you get your skin in the way

Latest posts