Temporary Prospector

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Greetings, I've not prospected for gold before but I'm fascinated by it. I've got the opportunity to be a temporary prospector for a week next year when I come out to Victoria to see my daughter. This forum is really helpful. I thought I might base myself in Logan. Does anyone know where's best to hire a detector in that area?
Regards, Bladesmith.

Welcome aboard, BS.

Why Logan? It's fairly central to the Golden Triangle, but there's next to nothing actually there. Maryborough would make a far more salubrious exploration base, IMHO.

Main roads throughout the area are bitumen, with secondary roads often gravel, but the terrain is undemanding - it's farm land and bush, not Oz outback. Avoid travel on the roads at dusk and dawn - that's roo o-clock and they are hopeless at taking evasive action.

grubstake said:
Welcome aboard, BS.

Why Logan? It's fairly central to the Golden Triangle, but there's next to nothing actually there. Maryborough would make a far more salubrious exploration base, IMHO.

Main roads throughout the area are bitumen, with secondary roads often gravel, but the terrain is undemanding - it's farm land and bush, not Oz outback. Avoid travel on the roads at dusk and dawn - that's roo o-clock and they are hopeless at taking evasive action.

Mate, I'm on a tight budget being a pensioner so this is once in a lifetime and there is a cheap pub in Logan for bed and breakfast. My daughter says petrol is cheap so I thought take the economy accommodation and travel to where necessary. Thanks for the advice on the kangaroos.

Nice spot Logan, great pub and camping area with dunnies and showers.
http://www.loganpub.com.au/

Perfect for day trips and central to Wedderburn, Moligal, Kingower, Inglewood, Dunolly St Arnaud etc

1575842826_capture.jpg

Ian Jacques used to have the Logan Pub in the 80's and it was a meeting place of many prospectors.
Lots of gold sat on the bar, and some came from close by.

Sorry Grubstake

that link is too good to be a link
So have posted the content below.

this is aussie bush advertising at it's best :Y:
have added this as a place to visit and stay when next in Vic

Logan - a piece of real Australia

Logan, a rustic and historically significant hamlet in North Central Victoria, offers the genuine tourist a wealth of valuable experiences. Located a paltry two hours drive from Melbourne, the area boasts some superb scenic, high speed, touring roads with extremely low traffic density.

The almost total absence of constabulary (or indeed any semblance of law and order) is another fine feature of the district, greatly appreciated by the motor cycling connoisseurs.

Habitus of the Avoca Forest Hotel (better known as The Logan Pub) and newcomers might savour its early colonial cuisine, its quaint architecture, its tranquility and the warm bush hospitality offered by the Turner Family.

Of singular fascination to the visiting urban city dweller is the unique homespun country humour of the armed (but friendly) inbreeds and genetic mutants who scratch out a miserable existence as kangaroo shooters and hog butchers.

Camping and sanitary facilities are centrally located anywhere and reflect the hardy pioneering spirit for which the region is so justly renowned.

The excellent climatic region of Logan and its environs is the envy of all Southern Victoria and, as the four year drought enters its thirteenth year, the weather promises to be even hotter than last year.

Abundant local flora and fauna afford the amateur botanist or zoologist rare delights. Feral dogs, cats and wild boars, crazed with heat, rampage through the pungent infestation of stinkweed and stinging nettles, raising maddened black clouds of marsh flies and hordes of European wasps.

While at night, venomous reptiles and arachnids emerge from tangles of boxthorn to compete for sustenance with scorpions, bull ants and swarms of mosquitoes from the foetid brackish creeks and poisonous water holes which abound in the area.

Obviously then, Logan, with its endless variety of absolutely nothing, represents outstanding paucity of value for the tourist dollar. A shabby scrap of dying history.

So journey to Logan and relive the shocking hardship of those wretched souls who opened up this land for reasons that no historian has ever been able to fathom.

All roads lead to the Logan Pub.

Redfin said:
Ian Jacques used to have the Logan Pub in the 80's and it was a meeting place of many prospectors.
Lots of gold sat on the bar, and some came from close by.

Looking forward to it. Cheers.

StoneTheCrows said:
Sorry Grubstake

that link is too good to be a link
So have posted the content below.

this is aussie bush advertising at it's best :Y:
have added this as a place to visit and stay when next in Vic

Logan - a piece of real Australia

Logan, a rustic and historically significant hamlet in North Central Victoria, offers the genuine tourist a wealth of valuable experiences. Located a paltry two hours drive from Melbourne, the area boasts some superb scenic, high speed, touring roads with extremely low traffic density.

The almost total absence of constabulary (or indeed any semblance of law and order) is another fine feature of the district, greatly appreciated by the motor cycling connoisseurs.

Habitus of the Avoca Forest Hotel (better known as The Logan Pub) and newcomers might savour its early colonial cuisine, its quaint architecture, its tranquility and the warm bush hospitality offered by the Turner Family.

Of singular fascination to the visiting urban city dweller is the unique homespun country humour of the armed (but friendly) inbreeds and genetic mutants who scratch out a miserable existence as kangaroo shooters and hog butchers.

Camping and sanitary facilities are centrally located anywhere and reflect the hardy pioneering spirit for which the region is so justly renowned.

The excellent climatic region of Logan and its environs is the envy of all Southern Victoria and, as the four year drought enters its thirteenth year, the weather promises to be even hotter than last year.

Abundant local flora and fauna afford the amateur botanist or zoologist rare delights. Feral dogs, cats and wild boars, crazed with heat, rampage through the pungent infestation of stinkweed and stinging nettles, raising maddened black clouds of marsh flies and hordes of European wasps.

While at night, venomous reptiles and arachnids emerge from tangles of boxthorn to compete for sustenance with scorpions, bull ants and swarms of mosquitoes from the foetid brackish creeks and poisonous water holes which abound in the area.

Obviously then, Logan, with its endless variety of absolutely nothing, represents outstanding paucity of value for the tourist dollar. A shabby scrap of dying history.

So journey to Logan and relive the shocking hardship of those wretched souls who opened up this land for reasons that no historian has ever been able to fathom.

All roads lead to the Logan Pub.

That's what attracted me. I'll feel at home with genetic mutants!

had a couple of beers last night at the Logan. Due to Covid he's operating limited hours particually early in the week. I would call to check on camping, room availability & meals to avoid disappointment. Ask for Keith

Latest posts