(WA) Western Australia Tengraph information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you're a newbie with a young family a good starting point would be Yalgoo where the shire has its own large lease to encourage tourism by allowing detector operators to go.. Just ask at the caravan park.
Much safer for kids because the townspeople know where you are. There's always a chance of finding gold, it's WA. :goldpan:

justoverthehill said:
Hi everyone!

I have a trip with family coming up soon and I've been using tengraph to look for a decent few places near Menzies to try and detect. I have found a few spots that look decent and covered by a pastoral lease so i know the rules with that, but another area is covered by a water reserve and another is covered by the town site boundary. Are you allowed to prospect here or is it a definite no? Both Have pending tenements on them.

The WA Mines Department is the most helpful government department I've ever come across. A quick phone call or preferably drop in and you'll get accurate guidance to where you are allowed to prospect. They'll even print you maps with coordinates of available ground.

The Happy Prospector app will guide you once you get to the location. It will work off-line and show live and pending tenements with your present location.

Thanks everyone!
I basically have a few spots picked out now on pending ground so hopefully we find some of the yellow stuff! I'll defiantly post back and let you all know how it all goes! Ill be using the trilobite app with the prospecting add-on just to keep track of the tenements.

Well after 4 days out at the back of Menzies and 3 days in Kalgoorlie I'm back in Perth. Camping out at Menzies was quite good with only one hot day! A few days there the flies were bad but the rest weren't to bad! After a lot of walking searching washes and hunting the flats I managed to pick up a lot of lead, bullet shells, and bits of tin. Went for a look up an old track to a old timers mine and had a look around but no gold. It was really interesting that all the old mines had like this blue sort of slate in it that they where digging into.

After we set up in Kalgoorlie at the caravan park we had a look at a few pending areas over the last few days but no luck. It actually looked like it was fairly picked over with some large dig holes still evident. So since we had no luck there we are thinking about heading out towards Yalgoo area in the coming weeks to see what we can find. Hopefully a few nuggets will have my name on them there lol

Hiyas,
While planning entry to WA from SA for 2023 I was checking out Tengraph for likely spots around The Island and Mainland, but per Tengraph all of that is under Active Tenement. I noted some ground West of The Island under Pending Exploration, so could try there, but wonder how people are getting onto areas like those above while they are under Active use.
Its a long way to go just to "check out" likely areas. Do i just park up in Mt Magnet and learn for a season, and then go back other years with knowledge?
I'm loving Tengraph for its capability, now to the next step, finding places I can go legally.
1642212909_island2.jpg

'The Island' is not called 'The Island' for nothing, it's surrounded by salt lakes. There is gold on the pending areas west of there but stay on the tracks and stay away if it looks like rain, it is a salt lake.

'The Island' was one of the richest areas in WA. I've had my eye on it for years waiting for the lease to expire.

Still No Idea. said:
'The Island' is not called 'The Island' for nothing, it's surrounded by salt lakes. There is gold on the pending areas west of there but stay on the tracks and stay away if it looks like rain, it is a salt lake.
'The Island' was one of the richest areas in WA. I've had my eye on it for years waiting for the lease to expire.

Thanks mate. I have heard about the salt flats and bogging. It just appeared other people were getting access to the area. I'll check out some other Pendings, as hoped to camp some of the time to save the trip in and out of MM or Cue.

My biggest uncertainty is where can I prospect?
Am I allowed to prosper in all blue areas shown on Tengraph?
These areas are pending for public but always have a holder, can I search there? or I must question the holder?
Sorry for my bad English, I use a translator

My biggest uncertainty is where can I prospect?
Am I allowed to prosper in all blue areas shown on Tengraph?
These areas are pending for public but always have a holder, can I search there? or I must question the holder?
Sorry for my bad English, I use a translator
anything that is Blue is ok, but remember there is a lite pale blue, that will have a live green lease under it these type you need the lease holder permission

on Tengraph you can get the info as whether or not there is live lease and what and who is under the pale blue.

no you dont need permission from the potential holder on a pending (real blue colour) as they are not yet the holder, you do need to let the pastoral lease know you will be prospecting in an area on the pastoral lease, you dont have to get their permission just let them know your intention

anything that is Blue is ok, but remember there is a lite pale blue, that will have a live green lease under it these type you need the lease holder permission

on Tengraph you can get the info as whether or not there is live lease and what and who is under the pale blue.

no you dont need permission from the potential holder on a pending (real blue colour) as they are not yet the holder, you do need to let the pastoral lease know you will be prospecting in an area on the pastoral lease, you dont have to get their permission just let them know your intention
Thank you very much for your Info.
Where can I find out who is the pastoral of the lease

when in Tengraph goto Layers and then Cadastre and tick pastoral leases, you will then see the name of pastoral leases as you scroll around, in the screen shot I posted you will see "Mertondale" and "Minara" both of these are pastoral leases and you will see others as you scroll about, the boundaries are a thicker dot/dash line

393168137_613053477567757_408117533825276673_n.png

untick the "tenements" and then you will see the boundaries easily
403392737_7656097051068197_5832722447982397964_n.png

Last edited:
Once again, the WA Mines Department is your best source of accurate information. davsgold has given you good advice but the mines department will show you how to access the information, print you maps, provide leaflets and guide you through the procedure. They can give you contact details for the pastoralists as well. They are easy to talk to and I've always found them eager to help.

Afternoon members.

Just wondering if someone could please help me with a query.

If you know how to access Geoview, I am wondering if you could please try to activate the layer 'Company Surface Sample Geochemistry' under the Geochemistry and Minerology heading on the L) side layer list?

It has always worked for me but the past few weeks it will not activate. The GSWA layer still does so I am guessing it is just out of action for a little while?

Thanks in advance 👍

Afternoon members.

Just wondering if someone could please help me with a query.

If you know how to access Geoview, I am wondering if you could please try to activate the layer 'Company Surface Sample Geochemistry' under the Geochemistry and Minerology heading on the L) side layer list?

It has always worked for me but the past few weeks it will not activate. The GSWA layer still does so I am guessing it is just out of action for a little while?

Thanks in advance 👍
Just tested and working now. Had to zoom into the map to make it active.