Wynnum, QLD

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moneybox

Philip & Sandra Box
Reaction score
Hi Guys, Has anybody done any fossicking at Wynnum. We have a drawing of the fossicking area between the jetty and rock wall where chalcedony agate should be found.

We have no idea where to start. Any hints of photos of what is found here?

Wynnum is a nice place to retire to and age gracefully, but i don't think there would be much luck in finding anything but a Brim or 2 flatties... :p

I have found one nice red chalcedony there, but I wasn't looking for rocks at the time. I think you can find some reasonable rocks on a few of the rockier Brisbane beaches (including around Redcliffe). People dig for worms all the time there at Wynnum, it might be worth checking out the spots they turn over. Its a fairly silty area, so it might pay to have a bucket to wash stones off, you never know your luck.

Moneybox said:
Hi Guys, Has anybody done any fossicking at Wynnum. We have a drawing of the fossicking area between the jetty and rock wall where chalcedony agate should be found.
We have no idea where to start. Any hints of photos of what is found here?

I believe that Moneybox is referring to the below drawing (from http://www.lapidaryworld.com/maps_QLD.html):
1428718407_wynnum.jpg

The search area is clearly indicated - but I think he is asking what rough, uncut/unpolished chalcedony agate would look like in the wild.

ktmman said:

Thanks ktmman. I would have to join the group to take a look and we've moved on for now. We climbed to the top of Mt Elliot today near Peak Crossing. It was a 4k walk/climb but a beautiful spot in the bush. I sieved a few stones along the way and may have uncovered a couple of little topaz.

1429004279_mt_elliot.jpg

If your back down around murwillumbah in the near future im happy to take you out thunder egg collecting .. plenty of newly exposed eggs around after the recent rain we have had

Great photo Moneybox, looks like a great view from up there.
I like to do the odd bit of hill climbing myself. Mt Walsh near Biggenden has a good walk up to the top.

madworld said:
If your back down around murwillumbah in the near future im happy to take you out thunder egg collecting .. plenty of newly exposed eggs around after the recent rain we have had

Madworld, that's a great offer that we'd love to take you up on. Unfortunately at this point we are near Toowoomba and our plans have us heading further north.

No worries mate, enjoy the trip. Hope to be doing the same thing in 2 years but still working on the plans for the camper.

the mudmap is derived from the little booklet "Mudmaps in Queensland" published in 1973. since then, there have been 3 major floods dumping a lot of silt from the river on to bay foreshores (giving new life to the term "mud" in "mudmap"). the booklet is as rare as hen's teeth and interesting. it dates from the very beginning of the rockhound era

Bit of anolder post there Con... been a bit of water under the bridge since then (still good to know though hey ! :Y: )

Latest posts