Complete Newbie But VERY Keen

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I am just starting out and can't wait to find some/any treasure I can. I am taking my 2 boys (8 and 10) out on the weekend to try our luck out at Oberon (we are in Canberra).

I imagine fossicking is going to be a lot harder than I expect and we wont find anything, but the thrill of the hunt will get us through. I can't wait...

Can't wait to read all the forums and see what we can find... hopefully there will be a few places nice and close to home. I feel like everything has been dug up already :(

Rumply22 said:
Hi Everyone,

I am just starting out and can't wait to find some/any treasure I can. I am taking my 2 boys (8 and 10) out on the weekend to try our luck out at Oberon (we are in Canberra).

I imagine fossicking is going to be a lot harder than I expect and we wont find anything, but the thrill of the hunt will get us through. I can't wait...

Can't wait to read all the forums and see what we can find... hopefully there will be a few places nice and close to home. I feel like everything has been dug up already :(

Welcome aboard, Rumply.
Don't fret about what's been dug up already - I guarantee that nobody has found whatever you're about to start finding! ;)

Welcome rumply
Good luck at Oberon :pickshovel: :goldpan: :goldnugget:
Finding gold can be frustrating but if you researching and get out there enough it will come easier.

Hi Rumply22...Welcome to the Forum mate...I assume your a 'mate' and not a 'mum' :playful: whatever the case the 'welcome' still applies, :lol:
I understand that the Oberon area is listed as a 'fossicking friendly' district, so a phone call to their Tourist Centre may well be worthwhile at this early stage in your 'quest for the yella' :cool: They will more than likely have maps outlining the various areas where you can go...but I can tell you that Native Dog Creek can often give up a good show of colour in your pan. Fossicking can also be done in the State Forests that surround the place but you will require a 'Permit to Fossick' which you can obtain 'on line'...$27.50 last time I looked. :cool: Seek out large rocks and other obstacles on the inside of bends in the creek and dig on the downstream side of the said obstacle. You well might have to go deep so keep testing the layers as go. You can also look for crevices in the bedrock that lay transverse across the creek line. If you have not got a creviscing tool then a screw driver and a trowel will be handy.
Above all be safe and have a real blast of a time.Regards Rossco.

Latest posts