A simple GPS gadget

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hippy, I suggest making that figure 8 fairly large due to the gps resolution around 10-20m. ie, make each loop about 20m across.
At the cheap price point, I figure a 10-20% dud rate would be likely.
I wasnt expecting too much from mine, but am pleasantly surprised.

I tried doing a calibration. It maybee seemed to help a bit. It pointed generally to the waypoint from about 200m away. As i got to more around 50m away it started pointing me in the wrong direction, but still counted down in distance of i moved closer to the waypoint and upwards if i followed the arrow from the 50m distance.
When i was calibrating could only trot off about a 20 metre figure 8 within 30 seconds without actually jogging.
Anyway, i will give it a test next time i go bush but will have the phone and app handy in case of it doesnt do the job. I still get the feeling its not performing optimally going on your observations DD, but could also be my expectations are too high. I do like the idea of them if they work as expected. Might even look into a bushnell one once stock is available again and have given this one a shot in the bush.

SCOOPY said:
Thanks Katabatic for adding the link to the etrex 10 manual. Instructions look to be very confusing & poor. Interesting that some of the feedback by people that have purchased the Garmin unit, even those that had earlier versions, claim the instructions to be poor & have reverted back to the older unit. May see if I can find a used earlier one still with its instruction booklet.

I hear what youre saying.but in my experience this is a problem not unique to Garmin..or GPS in general.
Most consumer electronic equipment these days provides capabilities way beyond the needs of the average user.
I have a 65 Panasonic TV..I use about 4 or 5 of the keys on the around 40-key remote.
I used to have two Minolta XD11 SLR cameras that I lugged around the world with me for years..only ever had to remember Aperture, Shutter speed, ISO, and Focus.
Now I have a Panasonic DSLRit has a 220 page manual..I just leave it on Intelligent Auto :(
One of the issues with gadget manuals these days (aside from the proliferation of Chenglish as a new form of communication, and the desire of most manufacturers to save paper) is the assumption that if you are buying the gadget then clearly you must know exactly what it is that you want to do with it, and therefore must have a complete and total understanding of the technology and terminology involved in its use.
This, of course, is very often not the case.
You can take this from an electronic gadget tragic.
Dont be put off by the Garmin manual..most of the information that you will need is all there..its just buried in amongst a whole lot of other information that you probably have absolutely no need for whatsoever.
And all in a generous 12 pages :) !
Hands-on is the answerget the thing, play with it, use it, compare the observed results with info in the manual..there will be a surprising correlation.
The eTrex10 puts a hell of a lot of power in your pocket.more importantly, it provides reliability and dependability.attributes that are both desirable and essential in its field.
You will also find that Dr. Google will always come up with far simpler, more understandable, and better presented explanations than youll ever find in any manual.

A bit OT, but would just like to add that a recently experienced exception to the general rule regarding manuals mentioned above has been the Minelab Equinox 800 manual.
This manual contains an excellent introductory section, explaining the technology, terminology, and operating criteria involved in use of the device.
It then goes on to detail the specific operation of the 800 with excellent illustrations accompanied by easily digested explanatory text.
I know quite a few consumer electronic manufacturers who would do well to study this manual and have a crack at emulating it.
Its not rocket science.

Ded Driver said:
Hippy, I suggest making that figure 8 fairly large due to the gps resolution around 10-20m. ie, make each loop about 20m across.
At the cheap price point, I figure a 10-20% dud rate would be likely.
I wasnt expecting too much from mine, but am pleasantly surprised.

After doing a bit of reading of reviews etc. on the bushnell backtracker i have noticed an amount of people having the similar issues with those as i am experiencing with the mini gps. Hoping it works better in the bush. Otherwise am guessing i just ended up with a lemon.
On the brighter side the android app i downloaded for free works perfectly. Shits me having to carry a 7 inch slab around in my shorts though.

I guess carrying the phone is also handy to call 000 if you get bitten by a snake. The camera is handy too at times

Ded Driver said:
hippyhunter said:
I guess carrying the phone is also handy to call 000 if you get bitten by a snake. The camera is handy too at times
In WA goldfields if you get bitten by a snake you call a Dingo
to come & chew your leg off. :playful: :skull:

Wow. That would be a tough choice. Who do u call to get rid of the dingo after your leg is gone. Haha :argh: . I still havent seen a snake since ive been detecting. Im sure i will once im living in the region and able to go detecting more often. :)

Once the dingo has your leg he will run off with it, so you're safe from him.
Then if you can stop the bleeding you might live long enough for a rescue team to reach you.
Better odds than waiting it out with a snake bite :lol: